Device Displays (with Poll)

Arysyn

Device Display Preference  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Device Display Preference

Hey Everyone,

I was around Arlington Heights this evening, and decided to go to Best Buy and get a device for temporary use while I wait for the LG V20.

Anyways, I looked at some of the devices on display while I was waiting for my mother to deal with the purchasing, and I was absolutely shocked by what I saw with some of the AMOLED displays on a few of the devices that had them. Major burn-in for what I thought was beyond normal of what I typically read about online. Some of the burn-in was beyond just shadowing, but actually burn-in on the colors.

Thing is, lately my preference has been leaning towards LCD because of the more neutral to cool color tone of the display imaging of LCD, even though I like the color saturation of AMOLED, just not the warmer nature of their color tone. Besides, while I've seen some AMOLED devices with white balance adjustment, most of the ones I've seen do not have that feature, which is important to me that option be present on my smartphone, especially on AMOLED. Besides, the LCDs on the Honor 8 and Sony Xperia XA Ultra have it.

However, when I saw this burn-in on these AMOLEDs, it completely made me never wanting AMOLED again. I'm now only going to get LCDs, while hoping not to have much issue with backlight bleed, even though some backlight bleed is preferable to me over the burn-in issues I saw tonight. Has anyone else here had this issue with burn-in, and what is your display preference? I'll add a poll to this.

The burn in issue you see is an extreme case where the device is being used for display and literally always on and showing the same thing. I don't think this is really a problem in real world use, at least I've never seen it. Personally AMOLED turns me off because they seem to have alot of pink tint issues, which is more annoying to my eye then the uneven backlighting issues IPS displays commonly have. 

• Like 1

The burn in issue you see is an extreme case where the device is being used for display and literally always on and showing the same thing. I don't think this is really a problem in real world use, at least I've never seen it. Personally AMOLED turns me off because they seem to have alot of pink tint issues, which is more annoying to my eye then the uneven backlighting issues IPS displays commonly have. 

There were a few devices on display at the Best Buy I went to that has the backlighting problem though. A few worse than others, particularly the one where colors were burnt-in. I figure though as Best Buy has images stuck on for so long that is causing the issue, just that it looked really bad, and more so than I thought these AMOLED devices got burn-in. So, I was fairly surprised by this, and it has me sticking with LCD.

However, alot of backlight bleed can be a problem too for LCDs. I'm glad though for that it is noticeable usually after purchase when turning on the device, so at least there is time to return it if there is any significant problem. Burn-in though takes a while, and I'm not so willing to take the chance with it. Although others might, and there are some benefits to it. Meanwhile, I'm hoping with the new LED tech I read Apple might go to in a few years not have this issue at all. I think I'll take a look at that when it becomes available.

When done right, OLED is the better display in terms of color, saturation, and contrast. It can't be beat. LG's OLED 4K HDR TVs are wonderful.

However, in a phone you wanna go for LCD. While OLED should save battery when blacks are on, it actually uses more energy than any LCD to produce certain colors like white. So while it'll look great on a phone, LCD is ultimately better for battery life since the energy consumption between color production is constant.

• Like 2

I've never seen burn-in on AMOLED displays, I know it can happen but I have yet to see it. My Note 5's screen in fine no issues.

Toward the end of its life, my S5 got burned in with the SignalCheck Pro screen elements.  I'm not sure if that says more about me or about my S5's screen...

- Trip

• Like 2

I've never seen burn-in on AMOLED displays, I know it can happen but I have yet to see it. My Note 5's screen in fine no issues.

I hadn't seen major burn-in on AMOLED, other than the bit in the Samsung Galaxy S7 I had for awhile, until last evening at Best Buy where it almost seemed that the store was displaying how bad burn-in can be, more than the smartphones themselves. I was surprised Best Buy didn't have some sort of protection system on these, because customers could easily have been put off by the devices on display just looking at them.

I ought to have noted the exact models impacted, though I know the Nexus 6P was fine, no burn-in on it. The ones I remember seeing it on were some of the Samsung smartphones, which the burn-in was really bad. Surprising though, I read a comment posted by someone in one of the LG V20 articles I read today, who wrote that they had some burn-in on their V10 device, which they noted was odd due to it having an LCD display. Is this possible?

I hadn't seen major burn-in on AMOLED, other than the bit in the Samsung Galaxy S7 I had for awhile, until last evening at Best Buy where it almost seemed that the store was displaying how bad burn-in can be, more than the smartphones themselves. I was surprised Best Buy didn't have some sort of protection system on these, because customers could easily have been put off by the devices on display just looking at them.

I ought to have noted the exact models impacted, though I know the Nexus 6P was fine, no burn-in on it. The ones I remember seeing it on were some of the Samsung smartphones, which the burn-in was really bad. Surprising though, I read a comment posted by someone in one of the LG V20 articles I read today, who wrote that they had some burn-in on their V10 device, which they noted was odd due to it having an LCD display. Is this possible?

No, you're not going to get burn in on an LCD display, you my get some image retention but it will go away over time if you change the common scenery.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, you're not going to get burn in on an LCD display, you my get some image retention but it will go away over time if you change the common scenery.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I figured that was the case, but wasn't sure.

By the way, I purchased the Sony Xperia XA Ultra and just a bit ago got through checking and updating everything on it, and I've got to say this is the best LCD I've ever seen. There isn't any backlight bleed to this at all, though I can tell a difference in the darkness of blacks on it, compared to AMOLED, which AMOLED definitely displays darker. However, I like the sharpness of the display, along with the neutral to cool tint it has, compared with the warmer color tint I saw on the Nexus 6P, for instance.

In answer to your poll, neither.  CRT.

So, where are the TV phones?

AJ

• 4 weeks later...