Public WiFi Use Agreements - Why Aren't They Persistent Based On MAC Address?

caspar347

I was agreeing to the useage terms for Harris Teeter public WiFi for the millionth time (the closest Sprint site a mile away provides only 1x towards the back of the store) and it occurred to me: couldn't large-scale public WiFi "remember" devices that previously agreed to their usage agreements based on MAC and let those devices bypass their terms screens upon connection? Are there reasons this isn't a thing already?

What if you sell your device?  Let your spouse / friend use your device?  You cant agree to terms for someone else.

I was going to say make it a cookie to remember for X days, but I suppose you would still run the risk of above.

What if you sell your device? Let your spouse / friend use your device? You cant agree to terms for someone else.

I was going to say make it a cookie to remember for X days, but I suppose you would still run the risk of above.

Ahh. Makes sense.

Xfinity Wi-Fi actually does work like that. Since it's often *open* but not necessarily *free*, your device's MAX is added to your Comcast account when you sign in.

This actually answers the other concern as well, as you can manage / remove devices from your account page. Their app will even use EAP automatically for security with compatible access points.

I believe AT&T may have a similar automatic connection feature on certain branded devices.

• Like 1

Xfinity Wi-Fi actually does work like that. Since it's often *open* but not necessarily *free*, your device's MAX is added to your Comcast account when you sign in.

This actually answers the other concern as well, as you can manage / remove devices from your account page. Their app will even use EAP automatically for security with compatible access points.

I believe AT&T may have a similar automatic connection feature on certain branded devices.

I can attest to that. Xfinity requires a one time log in and after that you can leave WiFi on and pick it up in lots of places across town without hassle.

Unfortunately, driving through an Xfinity city with WiFi on will cause live streams to time out when picking up a WiFi signal. Galaxy S5 tends to hold on to WiFi too long, as a lot of devices do.