Wireless Charging with Rugged Cases

mhammett

How successful is wireless charging on a phone that supports it with a rugged case like a Seidio Convert?

It doesn't work at all on my Nexus 5 or LG G2 (VZW) if I have my cases on either phone.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It doesn't work at all on my Nexus 5 or LG G2 (VZW) if I have my cases on either phone.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Ughh...  So they can't make phones rugged enough anymore so you need to get a case...  but then they can't make USB ports worth a crap, so after a year or two you end up breaking the USB port...  but then they can't make wireless chargers that work through the cases you need to put on...

UGH....

Ughh... So they can't make phones rugged enough anymore so you need to get a case... but then they can't make USB ports worth a crap, so after a year or two you end up breaking the USB port... but then they can't make wireless chargers that work through the cases you need to put on...

UGH....

I have the nexus charger, and two other random brand ones I bought online. I can put a regular cotton sock between the charger and the phone and it will work but that's about it. The case I use is similar to an otterbox defender and it won't work. A thinner case may work with it, but at that point I might as well use the phones bare.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Works for my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 until the phone wireless charger itself developed problems. All cases work for mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I am not sure how I missed this post. Have you used them with heavy duty cases like the convert?

I am not sure how I missed this post. Have you used them with heavy duty cases like the convert?

Should be no problem me thinks.

Those heavy duty cases are only marginally thicker than normal ones like my spigen. A few mm thicker of TPU or other type of plastic shouldn't matter really but I can't say for that specific cases. 

Edit: Actually it may seem the Seido Convert blocks wireless charging after doing a bit of research, Hmm...

If I manage to get a wireless charging phone and it works through a heavy duty case, I'd imagine that I will end up integrating wireless charging pads in so many items it'll be ridiculous.

• Like 1

If I manage to get a wireless charging phone and it works through a heavy duty case, I'd imagine that I will end up integrating wireless charging pads in so many items it'll be ridiculous.

See my edit on that particular case..

But yeah wireless charging works great and you can buy a ton of wireless charging pads on the cheap from amazon for like $5-10 a pop. I have half a dozen spread throughout my place with the only issue being that my nexus 5 doesn't wirelessly charge anymore... and have a broken signal cable that borks the functionality of it as a phone. 

Well crap. I'll have to look at the charging pads to see what they are like. Maybe I can just put one inside of the case and just have a cable hanging out that I use. That way I can't damage the phones USB, requiring a much more expensive repair.

Well crap. I'll have to look at the charging pads to see what they are like. Maybe I can just put one inside of the case and just have a cable hanging out that I use. That way I can't damage the phones USB, requiring a much more expensive repair.

Just do some research on specific cases that you're interested in. At least some will work me thinks. 

Just do some research on specific cases that you're interested in. At least some will work me thinks. 

The Convert is the only case I've used that hasn't resulted in the phone turning into confetti..  :-\ That said, I haven't tried Otter, Life Proof or whomever else is out there. Found something that worked on the first try, so I stuck with it. Before smartphones I had Nextel rugged phones. Before that I went through seven PrimeCo phones in one year. Well, I had a client's phone with a non-Convert case...  broke within 30 days and had to change out the glass.

My wife and I both have 2-Layer cases on our phones and Wireless Qi works just fine.  My wife has an Otterbox Defender on her Verizon LG G3 with a Nokia DT-900 Qi Charger and it works perfectly.  I also have a Seidio Dilex case on my G3 and it works alright, but the phone has to be lined up just right for it to work.  It is still a heck of a lot more convenient than plugging in every night.

I previously had various dual layer cases on my Nexus 5 and they worked just fine for wireless charging.  The charger in use may be the key.  The DT-900 has three coils for charging.  Most Qi chargers only have one.

• Like 1

YMMV, i bought the note 4 back charging cover, unfortunately its thicker than the standard cover and would not fit with my 2 part Ballsitic Case. and its sloooooowww to charge the note 4. With high rate charger can you almost fully charge  within an hour so I sold all the wireless stuff.  A learning experience. i will just go the route of having to replace the USB port every year or so. its pretty cheap and easy on Samsung devices