Google Chromebooks

eljayyy91

I didn't know where to post this so delete or move it if you have to.

I just kinda curious about people's experience with chromebooks, they are cheap and my dad is looking for a cheap laptop he can email, video calls, and get directions for use in his semi. So I'm just wondering for a simple user not needing much out of them if it would be a good replacement for Windows? Performance is kind of a big thing because my dad isn't tech savy and gets frustrated easily. So thoughts?

I'm a teacher and Chromebooks are the "hot thing" right now in schools, mostly because they are cheap, light, and very mobile.  Just like Google has Google Apps for Business, they also have Google Apps for Education and tons of schools are switching to that to give kids their own email address and access to Google Docs, along with the teachers.  Google Apps are certainly neat for collaborating.

A Chromebook is typical smaller and lighter than a laptop.  I think a perfect use of it is light email and web browsing.  They have a really long battery life.  Every program (or app) that is on it comes from the Chrome Store, basically the same as the Google Play Store.  For word processing you'd rely on Google Docs.

Would be a nice use for your dad in his semi, as long as he has an internet connection.  Otherwise it's pretty useless, as mostly everything is done online or saved to the cloud.

• Like 2

I actually have a Chrome book, Acer C720. And it's good for me. Web browsing and video watching everywhere. I have Netflix and plex for my movie needs. And the hdmi port is great so I can just plug it into the TV and watch a movie on it when needed. I can remote into my desktop if I need to do more serious things. I plan on passing this one down to my mom and getting that new chromebook with the tegra k1 soon.

Okay one quick question how easy is video chat with hangouts on the chromebooks? Never used hangouts before and my step mom and dad use Skype right now and I've read that chromebooks can't get Skype so how is hangouts for video chat? That's the one thing that has me worried? And the Acer 720 is what I have been looking at is it still worth the buy for him with his very simole application he will use?

As a truck driver, I find a tablet to be the best in-cab solution. Especially an iPad. Apple has some nice truck gps/log apps out there, and for portability, ease of use, web browsing, email, video chat (FaceTime, Skype, or any other chat app), Netflix, etc.. Look into a tablet rather than a chromebook. If you/he decides on a laptop, make sure the HDD is solid state. Truck vibrations destroy regular HDDs.

• Like 1

As a truck driver, I find a tablet to be the best in-cab solution. Especially an iPad.

The only issue there is he will have to write long emails and I don't know if touch would be the best for him because he will have to write lengthy emails which I can't even picture my dad doing that let alone using a touch screen. But tnx everyone for the replys it is much appreciated :)

• Like 1

The only issue there is he will have to write long emails and I don't know if touch would be the best for him because he will have to write lengthy emails which I can't even picture my dad doing that let alone using a touch screen. But tnx everyone for the replys it is much appreciated :)

You could always look into something like a surface pro 3. It would cost more but seems like it would fit your needs.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Or get a Bluetooth keyboard for the tablet
  • Like 1

Ether the official Apple Bluetooth keyboard, or some other variant. Also, there are lots of cases with a built in keyboard.

The voice dictation in iOS 8 has been superb. It will flub the occasional proper noun, but otherwise, it's been a lifesaver for jotting down ideas or sending text messages while driving hands-free.

• Like 1

Get an Asus transformer. The tegra 4 with the keyboard dock is around $300 on amazon or get a used one on eBay. I have the tf300 and love it. All the android apps on it, touch screen, keyboard dock with touch slate/mouse buttons. Like a laptop, but can be a tablet if needed.

Well thanks for all the responses and I know this should be in a completely different thread all together but okay he has decided to go with a tab from us cellular and get a bluetooth keyboard. Now my question is my dad goes a cross the country but before data didn't matter because he never used it. But now since he will and us cell doesn't have coverage a cross the US how is us's roaming set up? I know in Chicago my little sister gets roaming evdo I'm guessing from Sprint? Just a question on how he's data experience will be in none native areas. Because with this new job data is a must, so just curious I know evdo would do just fine for him, but in the long run would it be better for him to jump to Sprint/att/ Verizon?

Edited by eljayyy91

Well thanks for all the responses and I know this should be in a completely different thread all together but okay he has decided to go with a tab from us cellular and get a bluetooth keyboard. Now my question is my dad goes a cross the country but before data didn't matter because he never used it. But now since he will and us cell doesn't have coverage a cross the US how is us's roaming set up? I know in Chicago my little sister gets roaming evdo I'm guessing from Sprint? Just a question on how he's data experience will be in none native areas. Because with this new job data is a must, so just curious I know evdo would do just fine for him, but in the long run would it be better for him to jump to Sprint/att/ Verizon?

Not trying to be nosy. Just trying to understand his needs. Is he being loaded through a company like landstar or is he lease/owner operator with a traditional truck company?

Not trying to be nosy. Just trying to understand his needs. Is he being loaded through a company like landstar or is he lease/owner operator with a traditional truck company?

Well he is an owner operator at a traditional trucking company now. But now with his new job he will be from what I understand he will be working directly for Harley Davidson. Delivering bikes across the country to dealerships. So he will own his own truck but drive for Harley.

Well he is an owner operator at a traditional trucking company now. But now with his new job he will be from what I understand he will be working directly for Harley Davidson. Delivering bikes across the country to dealerships. So he will own his own truck but drive for Harley.

THAT IS SOOO COOL!!!!! He has a coolness factor just below that of a nascar truck driver! Anyhow, I would think that they would track him and have two way communications via satellite. If not then he needs to take a look at the coverage maps where he frequents. My guess is he will have to switch to one of the big three.

THAT IS SOOO COOL!!!!! He has a coolness factor just below that of a nascar truck driver! Anyhow, I would think that they would track him and have two way communications via satellite. If not then he needs to take a look at the coverage maps where he frequents. My guess is he will have to switch to one of the big three.

Yea it is pretty cool. Only downside is now he is home 2-3 nights a week. Soon he will be gone for 12 days home for 3 gone for another 12. And when my sister graduates he Will be gone for 3 weeks at a time but then he can bring my step mom along. I'm going to recommend they switch to a more national carrier. Because he Will be out of us cell coverage quite a bit.

• Like 1