Speed [of Sprint] 4G LTE

Can anyone tell me why Sprints 4G LTE maxes out at 38 mps download and around 9 mps upload?  IT seems like every other carrier can surpass at least 40 in the right area and most carriers get more then 15 upload ive seen....  I guess sprint Spark can do much better but not many places with that.....

Can anyone tell me why Sprints 4G LTE maxes out at 38 mps download and around 9 mps upload?  IT seems like every other carrier can surpass at least 40 in the right area and most carriers get more then 15 upload ive seen....  I guess sprint Spark can do much better but not many places with that.....

It depends on what band you are on. And how many people are using it. 

Sprint uses a 5x5Mhz carrier for regular (1900 and 800) LTE with max speeds of 37.5Mbps down. Other carriers mostly use 10x10Mhz carriers with 75Mbps max down. Spark uses a 20Mhz carrier with max speeds of ~90Mbps down and will be able to reach ~160Mbps or ~250Mbps down with carrier aggregation when Sprint finishes testing it and releases devices for it.

Can anyone tell me why Sprints 4G LTE maxes out at 38 mps download and around 9 mps upload? IT seems like every other carrier can surpass at least 40 in the right area and most carriers get more then 15 upload ive seen.... I guess sprint Spark can do much better but not many places with that.....

There have been plenty of posts on various market threads showing 75+ mbps download speeds on band 41. Also, what in the heck are you going to need that much bandwidth for on your cellphone. The most bandwidth intensive task for a phone is streaming video. Here is all you need for Netflix: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306 Edited by AppleFanBoy
  • Like 2

Sprint uses a 5x5Mhz carrier for regular LTE with max speeds of 37.5Mbps down. Other carriers mostly use 10x10Mhz carriers with 75Mbps max down. Spark uses a 20Mhz carrier with max speeds of ~90Mbps down and will be able to reach ~160Mbps or ~250Mbps down with carrier aggregation when Sprint finishes testing it and releases devices for it.

thanks!

• Like 2

There have been plenty of posts on various market threads showing 75+ mbps download speeds on band 41. Also, what in the heck are you going to need that much bandwidth for on your cellphone. The most bandwidth intensive task for a phone is streaming video. Here is all you need for Netflix: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Wow. Netflix only requires 500kbps minimum? Cool. TIL.

To help clarify, T-Mobile and AT&T also have a lot of 5x5 LTE out there too (limited to 37.5Mbps). I believe it is only Verizon who only has 10MHz LTE channels and wider everywhere.

But Verizon 10MHz channels can often be slower than their compeitiors 5MHz channels just be cause the sheer numbers of Verizon LTE customers.

• Like 2

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Or, more simply, have a physical SIM that I can just move from one device to another.  Problem [already] solved.  Carrier doesn't have to be involved at any point in the process. I'll be among many (I'm sure) who will be glad to know if you see it.  Here in the DC area, Dish hasn't really done much yet.  I think I've seen some Dish gear around Richmond, but nothing here. - Trip
    • I like VICE.  They actually report on news no one else is willing to report. A lot of the places they go no sane person would want to be there.  They put their life on the line in many cases to get a story. From stories about the avocado wars in Mexico, being in the front lines against ISIS and Ukraine, to being embedded with terrorist organizations.   FAA might have some conspiracy 5G nut on their team or something.  At work ever year we have some one come in and say "hey, can you turn off the WIFI in my room? I don't want its radiation".  It doesn't make sense and their reasoning is always uneducated conspiracy. I can see someone coming into my office and acting crazy over C band disregarding everything else.
    • I think on esims it depends on how they implement it. If you can freely activate them on one phone while having it loaded on many that would be great.   I will let you know when I see Boost Mobile native 5g live here. So far no sign of even the plmn being active which I figure will be my first indicator. I look at changing networks with the TNX Sim and seem to get a full list of all carriers and their alternate plmns.
    • This is a result of the change I mentioned above, sparked by @PedroDaGr8 trying to log AT&T cells with a non-AT&T SIM that was reporting "out of service" but still capturing cell info. For the moment (subject to change as I keep testing and getting feedback), the "Connecting to" prefix will disappear when you connect in a scenario like that. I may adjust it to show a special prefix like "Limited LTE" or "No Data LTE" to make it more clear what is going on, but I also need to make sure that's only appearing at the proper times. When you were seeing just "LTE" in your screenshots, was there anything unusual about your connection? I see the app indicated you couldn't make calls; could you transfer data? Can you send a diagnostic report next time you see that?   I'm seeing this more frequently, unfortunately -- it has something to do with Android's power saving efforts I believe. Was the app in the foreground when it happened? When the screen updates, the notification and home screen widget are also updated -- but as seen with the widget for the past couple of years, Android doesn't always execute the update. I'm constantly trying to find ways around these limitations, since the app is useless if it's displaying stale data.
    • Bleh, hope not.  The eSIM is a huge step backwards to the bad old days and I have no desire to encourage their use. But in any event, maybe I should get Boost service, then, if people are already seeing it.  I can use it for AT&T until Dish native gear goes live in this area.  Have to ponder that a bit. - Trip