Handover issues between 1900/2500 LTE build

I drove to Oakland today on I-880 and I noticed that there could be an issue with the network handover between Sprint's LTE deployment on 1900 Mhz and Clearwire's deployment on 2500Mhz. I had to force the phone into Airplane mode to get the LTE to register again.

Started the trip in Downtown San Jose on sweet B41 coverage, and I was able to keep this for a long time while driving on I-880. Eventually the service dropped to 3G coverage but LTE was available when foced to scan again. Is this a network issue or a problem with the phone, in this case a stock LG G2?

I drove to Oakland today on I-880 and I noticed that there could be an issue with the network handover between Sprint's LTE deployment on 1900 Mhz and Clearwire's deployment on 2500Mhz. I had to force the phone into Airplane mode to get the LTE to register again.

Started the trip in Downtown San Jose on sweet B41 coverage, and I was able to keep this for a long time while driving on I-880. Eventually the service dropped to 3G coverage but LTE was available when foced to scan again. Is this a network issue or a problem with the phone, in this case a stock LG G2?

Could be a small LTE gap, causing a drop to 3g and then a long scan time for LTE.

Happens all the time now in Tampa, especially between Band 41 and Band 26. From what I gathered from a poster here is they need to update the csfb software if indeed that is the issue.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Happens all the time now in Tampa, especially between Band 41 and Band 26. From what I gathered from a poster here is they need to update the csfb software if indeed that is the issue.

I see this only in areas with Sprint's LTE and Clearwire's LTE build. Not sure because the two networks have a different Network ID. In areas with Sprint B25/B41 build, there is no problem switching between the networks.

Does it have anything to do with it being a hard hand off between TD-LTE and FD-LTE

LTE uses "hard handoff."  TDD and FDD are irrelevant.

AJ

• Like 1

LTE uses "hard handoff."  TDD and FDD are irrelevant.

AJ

This is one of the many reasons why it would be wise for Sprint to hold off on migrating to VoLTE until they are ready to upgrade to LTE-A Rel 11 or 12. Soft handovers will make a return thanks to CoMP.

I see this only in areas with Sprint's LTE and Clearwire's LTE build. Not sure because the two networks have a different Network ID. In areas with Sprint B25/B41 build, there is no problem switching between the networks.

This should eventually be resolved after the WiMax shutdown, when the Clearwire equipment is entirely phased out in favor of the newer 8T8R antennas. That's a couple years away though, so hopefully they can come up with a short-term fix to help avoid such dropouts.

Happens all the time in B41 areas with my experience.

Often I get no signal before I get any LTE back.

Is this an eCSFB issue? When you go to no signal? I thought that was the getting kicked off thing. 

Is this an eCSFB issue? When you go to no signal? I thought that was the getting kicked off thing.

It's not csfb in my experience because you can connect to the tower no problem with airplane toggle and stay on. It's the handoff issue which is expecially noticeable when driving on the expressway jumping between different bands. The signal drops to 3G and sometimes in the process you are without a signal for about 30 seconds until you drop to 3G.

Happens all the time in B41 areas with my experience.

Often I get no signal before I get any LTE back.

I only notice this problem wenn you see the Clearwire Network ID, because Sprint managed a clean handover on their own B25/41 build

This is one of the many reasons why it would be wise for Sprint to hold off on migrating to VoLTE until they are ready to upgrade to LTE-A Rel 11 or 12. Soft handovers will make a return thanks to CoMP.

This should eventually be resolved after the WiMax shutdown, when the Clearwire equipment is entirely phased out in favor of the newer 8T8R antennas. That's a couple years away though, so hopefully they can come up with a short-term fix to help avoid such dropouts.

What has Wimax to do with this? Isn't Clearwire able to ID their network as Sprint?

What has Wimax to do with this?

Virtually all current B41 sites are on former Clearwire sites that are running dual mode Wi-Max/LTE antennas. After the Wi-Max shutdown when their Wi-Max functionality is no longer needed, the equipment will be replaced with the newer 8T8R's.

Isn't Clearwire able to ID their network as Sprint?

Apparently not.. at this point, they may not bother to go back and reprogram the network IDs. We'll see.

I have shut off b41 on my phone for this reason alone. I was on 3g almost all the time but with it off i can at least keep a constant b25/26 connection. Ill turn it back on when they get this handoff issue fixed. I wonder what could be causing it because it seems to be everywhere. handoffs between b41 sites and sectors is seamless tho. I wonder what they need to fix because they launch these spark markets but you cant actually connect.  In Utah I cant connect unless I put it in LTE only mode but then I dont get calls/text obviously. This allows great handoffs to B25/26 as well but only in this mode. 

I have shut off b41 on my phone for this reason alone. I was on 3g almost all the time but with it off i can at least keep a constant b25/26 connection. Ill turn it back on when they get this handoff issue fixed. I wonder what could be causing it because it seems to be everywhere. handoffs between b41 sites and sectors is seamless tho. I wonder what they need to fix because they launch these spark markets but you cant actually connect.  In Utah I cant connect unless I put it in LTE only mode but then I dont get calls/text obviously. This allows great handoffs to B25/26 as well but only in this mode. 

During my last visit to Las Vegas I was able to see a real Sprint B25/B41 deployment and there is no problem switching between bands. I noticed that most of the calls started on 800Mhz which is not bad so you are able to connect. In my home market, I am not able to see this issue yet because I am still on a single band LTE device and I can't always charm my sister to get her phone unless she is driving. 

• Like 1