IPv6 is more of a novelty type thing right now than anything,

etc etc

• Like 2

Could be any number of reasons including:

No reason to,

Things work fine as they are,

IPv6 is more of a novelty type thing right now than anything,

etc etc

You could say the same thing about any new technology.

With that sort of mentality, you could say all of s4gru is a novelty, LTE is a novelty, every sort of new technology is a novelty, etc etc.

This is an entusiast forum, what do you expect :)

• Like 1

I just noticed that comcast upgraded my CMTS to support IPV6 so I was curious and noticed that s4gru.com isn't supporting ipv6 :(

Any reason why not?

95% of web sites do not support IPv6 yet.  Once the hosting company for s4gru.com upgrades their network and hosting servers to support IPv6, they will then issue an IPv6 address that can be used for s4gru.com along with the existing IPv4.  Then and only then can you access it via IPv6.  This will likely take many years for all the hosting companies to convert to dual stack IPv4 and IPv6.

Your home computer should already have dual stack IPv4 and IPv6.  s4gru.com and all other IPv4 only websites will continue to work fine for years until they are converted to dual stack IP addresses.

• Like 7

I'll fight tooth and nail the IPv6 transition :)  Long live IPv4!  It's way too much a PIA.. but then I don't deal with it on a day to day basis like some do.  I know it was made for the long haul, but it's overly complicated.  My wife worked with IPv6 on a SNMP product and wow, some of the translation routines were just unmanageable. 

What benefit, exactly, do you believe IPv6 brings to the table for a website like s4gru, or any website for that matter?

It's just version obsession.

You could say the same thing about any new technology.

With that sort of mentality, you could say all of s4gru is a novelty, LTE is a novelty, every sort of new technology is a novelty, etc etc.

This is an entusiast forum, what do you expect :)

It's hardly that simple. LTE brings bonafide real world advantages to cell phone data networks. Tangible and identifiable advantages. The average joe will immediately *feel* a difference with LTE and many other "new technologies." What tangible benefit is there to IPv6 vs. IPv4 to you or the average joe?

IPv6 exists only because there aren't even addresses in the IPv4 world, it's like..... adding a new area code because you've run out of phone numbers. It solves only a problem here or there, but creates new ones.... Massive new ones.

Anyhow, to more specifically answer your question, I'd imagine Robert can't even tell you when it will happen for s4gru.com. This site is hosted at IP.Board and it would be simply up to them when they transition to IPv6. As far as all the users here and on their other boards.... You'll notice no difference.

As far as all the users here and on their other boards.... You'll notice no difference.

I'm sorry you're incorrect about that.

We've been discussing IPv6 in the Staff Forums. Once IP.Board updates their servers next week and we place the code in on our side, every time someone likes one of your post, a Ice Cream Sundae with Rainbow Sprinkles will magically appear. So listen, if you want to stay on IPv4 you enjoy yourself. I'll take my Rainbow Sprinkles. B)

• Like 6

What benefit, exactly, do you believe IPv6 brings to the table for a website like s4gru, or any website for that matter?

Well, one benefit of each device being assigned a globally unique IPv6 address is that, for those who break the rules and get banned, Robert can also ban their handsets from accessing S4GRU ever again.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

I'm sorry you're incorrect about that.

We've been discussing IPv6 in the Staff Forums. Once IP.Board updates their servers next week and we place the code in on our side, every time someone likes one of your post, a Ice Cream Sundae with Rainbow Sprinkles will magically appear. So listen, if you want to stay on IPv4 you enjoy yourself. I'll take my Rainbow Sprinkles. B)

Can you substitute the Ice Cream Sundae for Fried Chicken? Asking for a friend. 

• Like 7

Nah, gotta wait for the IPv6.1 update. Looking like 4 months out. Franks Redhot is in the IPv6.2 release though. :censored:

No, but if you prefer, you can get fried chicken crumbs sprinkled on your sundae.

AJ

• Like 2