MS and Nokia to pay BIG $ for developer support.

legion125

The WP platform is getting more looks now that Nokia has a successful phone line up with the Lumia series. However, latest polls show that people are not attracted to the OS due to a weak ecosystem. MS & Nokia hope to remedy that.

Quote:

"only 37 percent of developers are keen to make apps for Windows Phone, showed the latest IDC/Appcelerator survey. That number, slightly down from the previous survey, compared with the 89 percent interested in iPhone and 79 percent in Android phones. "Mobile developers' interest for the Windows platform has been for the least very lukewarm over the last two years, with no sign of improvement."..."Microsoft and Nokia said they would invest a total of 18 million euros ($23.9 million) into a new mobile application development program."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/26/net-us-windowsphone-idUSBRE82P05Z20120326

• Like 1

I had seen an article saying that MS and Kindle are the hottest platforms that developers are flocking to, but maybe that was talking about something else. I like how people quote that iOS and Android have "half a million" apps but how many of those are actually meaningful, worthwhile apps? There is a lot of pure garbage out there. If iOS and Android weren't so concerned with quantity and focused on quality, it would be easier to search for a good app. Delete apps out of the database if they don't hit a certain amount of downloads per month.

It's good to see that MS and Nokia are so committed to making the WP platform work that they continue throwing money at it. It will be interesting to see how the next year plays out and see if they gain market share. They could increase competition and give iOS and Android a run for their money, or they could be abandoning it. With the effort they are putting into it, I would be very suprised if WP doesn't sell at least 10% of smartphones this year. I only say 10% because Sprint and Verizon won't probably see a model until fall. iOS and Android have a big head start.

How much did Apple pay for devs?

Zero

This I why I feel like this platform won't be very successful. Reputations aren't bought, they're earned. Devs will go where the users go not the other way around.

• Like 1

Zero

This I why I feel like this platform won't be very successful. Reputations aren't bought, they're earned. Devs will go where the users go not the other way around.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Apple was at the start of the app development movement. Where else were people going to develop?

Windows already has earned a reputation, just not in the smartphone arena

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apple has made a name for itself but the Apple model hasn't caught fire for these other OS's so I guess bribery is a way to get their attention. Nokia especially has garnered the most success from this venture, but if it wants to gain greater marketshare with the commitment it's made with WP. Both it and MS are going to have to keep the momentum moving.

Zero

Apple somehow gets the carriers to tack on a higher subsidy on the iPhone... I consider that buying a reputation as well. How many less iPhones would be sold if they were $300 for the least expensive new model? I'm sure they would sell plenty, but people might consider cheaper options instead. And there would be virtually zero sales of the iPhone 4 at $200

All I'm saying is, paying devs is unsustainable. It probably won't gain WP7/QNX enough customers to turn a profit or be worthwhile. This is because mainstream users don't follow devs. When the devs see that they aren't able to turn a profit they will leave.

You all can jump all over my argument all you want but that's how I see it.

You all can jump all over my argument all you want but that's how I see it.

I don't think they are jumping all over your argument. They just see it differently. I get both idea camps on this one.

Robert

I'm not intentionally trying to jump all over your argument, just trying to present another point. The way I see the mobile smartphone landscape when it comes to apps:

1. Customers want to buy a smartphone with a big library of apps, especially free apps.

2. In order to have apps, you have to have developers.

3. In order to have developers, the developers have to make money.

4. In order for the developers to make money, people need to buy/use their apps.

5. In order to have people buy/use their apps, they need to attract more customers/sell more phones.

then you go back to 1.

Microsoft is trying to infuse some cash into 3 and 5 in this model. I'm not saying that it will work for sure, but I think it gives them more chance than just letting the handset flounder like HP did with webOS

Apple and Android sell phones partially because people show their friends/family all the cool things they can do with their phones. They also sell phones thanks to the advice of the store personnel, because who knows better than the people that sell phones full time? Windows phone doesn't have the market share for the friend/family referral, and there is really nothing they can do about that now. Microsoft and Nokia have instituted a program to "bribe" AT&T sales associates by paying them a small commission on every Windows Phone they sell. See here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/82-microsoft-resorts-to-bribing-att-sales-associates-to-sell-windows-phones/ Windows phone has also offered to provide AT&T with subsidized Nokia 900s to give their employees in exchange for their current company use phone so they are familiar with the phone and can point out the unique features etc. See here: http://www.wpcentral.com/report-nokia-paying-att-exclusive-employee-use-lumia-900 They are also offering high end phones at lower prices, there are several high end Windows Phones that are free and the Nokia Lumia 900 is said to be priced at $99. The last point I will make is that Microsoft brought Nokia on board partially because those in their late 20's and older probably remember owning a Nokia. They made good phones. This will give them a little more push with the customers than just being another offering from HTC or Samsung. Plus if you see a $300 Galaxy Nexus, a $200 Galaxy SII and a $100 or free Samsung WP, you might confuse it as being inferior to the other two.

Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. I just think Microsoft is making all the right moves to push their way into the smartphone marketplace. Apple and Android come off as complacent, RIM seems dormant, webOS is all but dead, but WP has been very active and is putting themselves in position to make some noise. MS and Nokia will undoubtedly stop infusing all this money into promotion at some point and that is when their phones need to do the talking, the question will be "did enough handsets sell to maintain/grow their market share and earn the 'look what my phone can do' referral."

• Like 2