Verizon planning to buy Dish?

bucdenny

That would be interesting but I dont think it would happen. Verizon recently got into bed with the cable companies. I dont think they would try to compete with cable at this point.

That would be interesting but I dont think it would happen. Verizon recently got into bed with the cable companies. I dont think they would try to compete with cable at this point.

For the spectrum? Dish has plenty and Verizon can buy Dish.

I dont know how valuable Dishs spectrum is in practical terms.

The spectrum that Dish has is not in any of the usual bands. Verizon already has spectrum in 4 bands: 700MHz, 850, 1900 and AWS. Dish, absent a deal with Sprint will have spectrum in two bands. Verizon will probably bid in the 600MHz auction and the AWS-2 or 3 auctions. So unless they are willing to get rid of Dish's spectrum, they will possibly end up with 8 bands. Yikes !!!!!

It's virgin spectrum, its totally unused so whilst it isn't a currently used band and would need new equipment etc it is valuable. It would mean more bands but phones already support 4-6 bands and PA's can now support over 40 bands. Each device wouldn't have to support all the bands, they could spread them out, design phones to support 4 or 6 of the 8 bands and just mix it up. If the 600mhz auction is delayed and they are looking at 5-10 years before it will actually be built out and working, it would seem to be more attractive. Verizon may end up with a lot of spectrum so I hope there are very strict controls over how quickly they buildout and people start to benefit.