Can a 4G only upgraded tower have worse 3G performance?

So I have something anecdotal I've been noticing, and i'd like to know if it's just my imagination or if there could be something to it:

I've noticed that many times, once a tower has been upgraded for 4G (and 3G is not accepted, meaning I assume that 3G is still using legacy equipment), I often notice that the 3G signal is slightly weaker, or that speed is lower than it previously was and phones roam more often. Is it possibly because when they're putting up the new equipment they are messing up the alignment of the legacy equipment? Is there any reason that this would happen?

I've gotten 2.7mbps speed test on sprint legacy 3g at my local tower but since 4G came live, I haven't gotten anything over 2.25. I'm not saying that's bad and of course there's likely more people on sprint now sharing that site but I got better speeds on legacy 3g than never 3g. Nv speeds are way better on the upload side, though.

So I have something anecdotal I've been noticing, and i'd like to know if it's just my imagination or if there could be something to it:

I've noticed that many times, once a tower has been upgraded for 4G (and 3G is not accepted, meaning I assume that 3G is still using legacy equipment), I often notice that the 3G signal is slightly weaker, or that speed is lower than it previously was and phones roam more often. Is it possibly because when they're putting up the new equipment they are messing up the alignment of the legacy equipment? Is there any reason that this would happen?

Some sites require removing one of the legacy panels to make room for the NV equipment. It likely could be related to that if the site has a space limitation like that.

• Like 2

I've gotten 2.7mbps speed test on sprint legacy 3g at my local tower but since 4G came live, I haven't gotten anything over 2.25. I'm not saying that's bad and of course there's likely more people on sprint now sharing that site but I got better speeds on legacy 3g than never 3g. Nv speeds are way better on the upload side, though.

2.25Mbps speeds still require the sector/channel to be virtually unburdened.

Robert

• Like 1

To only confuse matters more, some sites will get 3g accepted for voice one day then a few days or even months later is EVDO moved over to the NV equipment and legacy shut off completely.

this is exactly true in my case.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

had a quick question my tower has the equipment needed for nv like cabniets rru and antenna ect. but its not even 3g accepted yet lol so im lost, about 3 towers near me went 4g live this week and mines isnt even 3g accepted yet any takers?  :td:  :blush:  :ninja:

P.s I live in south jersey

had a quick question my tower has the equipment needed for nv like cabniets rru and antenna ect. but its not even 3g accepted yet lol so im lost, about 3 towers near me went 4g live this week and mines isnt even 3g accepted yet any takers? :td::blush::ninja:

P.s I live in south jersey

We have seen sites site for 12 months with no acceptances but they look complete.