Do signal "bars" take Ec/Io into account?

koiulpoi

It looks like they do, on my device at least. Currently running a CM10.2 (Android 4.3) ROM on my Galaxy Note II. My 1X signal is -103, and my EV-DO signal is -104 (both right on the normal edge of usefulness, from my experience), but the "bars" show it wavering between two and three bars. And, it seems they're right; my Ec/Io for each is -3.0 dB and -2.5 dB respectively (just saw EV-DO jump up to -1.5 dB), which I understand means there's almost no interference at all between my device and the site, and I'm probably the only user on the entire sector.

That being said, EV-DO actually works very well at a signal of ~-103 dBm, with an Ec/Io of about -3 dB. I just did a speedtest and got this:

2901614402.png

And yes, this is an NV 3G cell.

• Like 2

It looks like they do, on my device at least. Currently running a CM10.2 (Android 4.3) ROM on my Galaxy Note II. My 1X signal is -103, and my EV-DO signal is -104 (both right on the normal edge of usefulness, from my experience), but the "bars" show it wavering between two and three bars. And, it seems they're right; my Ec/Io for each is -3.0 dB and -2.5 dB respectively (just saw EV-DO jump up to -1.5 dB), which I understand means there's almost no interference at all between my device and the site, and I'm probably the only user on the entire sector.

That being said, EV-DO actually works very well at a signal of ~-103 dBm, with an Ec/Io of about -3 dB. I just did a speedtest and got this:

2901614402.png

Ya I was on evdo and got 1.65MB down in my place and I hardly get any service.. lol I've never gotten such speeds inside... ever But I was on CDMA only

My ec/lo is between 0.5-1.5 and my dBm is usually on evdo around 68-87 dBm and I rarely get speeds like that. It is a legacy tower though so yeah http://db.tt/wh5NGV7H

2901614402.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this so I don't make a new thread.

How exactly is Ec/Io measured? My (very tiny) understanding was that it was very similar to signal to noise ratio, just, um, reversed. Logarithmically.

I just spotted an Ec/Io of -0.1. Does that basically mean "You're on a sector by yourself and the neighboring sites aren't interfering at all".

I just spotted an Ec/Io of -0.1. Does that basically mean "You're on a sector by yourself and the neighboring sites aren't interfering at all".

An active (not blocked) CDMA1X carrier will never have Ec/Io greater than about -2 dB because the sync channel and paging channel take up some of the total channel power.  In other words, the pilot channel cannot take up all of the channel power.  If it did, then Ec/Io could be 0 dB.

AJ

An active (not blocked) CDMA1X carrier will never have Ec/Io greater than about -2 dB because the sync channel and paging channel take up some of the total channel power.  In other words, the pilot channel cannot take up all of the channel power.  If it did, then Ec/Io could be 0 dB.

AJ

Eheh, whoops. I should have specified. Yeah, my 1X is sitting around -2.0 dB. The -0.1 (which is now -0.5) is EV-DO/eHRPD.