S3 errors driving me crazy, ideas?

chgoguy80

My S3 the last 2 days has been acting crazy. Hopefully someone has a suggestion, guessing something in the system software got messed up somehow since I get messages from different apps that have not been updated recently as far as I know.

Coincidence had shortly before that day installed an for Bellycard from googleplay (which is a real venture capital backed company for customer loyalty) so don't think its a virus/malicious. The first download via link they sent failed, so had to restart it. Following that it finished the install fine.

Yesterday after getting failure messages from other apps, I uninstalled it and restarted the phone, also fully turned off and turned back on same issues.

The messages I get so far are:

"unfortunately, email has stopped" - this occurs randomly even when not in mail

"the process com.android.phone has stopped" - been getting this 2 out of 3 times I try and make a phone call, happened after I hit call screen goes dark for about 3 seconds and message appears, call does not go thru

"unfortunately, maps has stopped" - this happens everytime I try and use navigation, I have successfully used maps to get directions but failure occurs when hit the navigate button. It even happens when I manually go into navigation and type the destination and hit the search button. Just like phone, the screen goes dark for 3 seconds and message appears. This error just came up now when not in maps.

Background, I know people say you can backup stuff on phone but have not figured how to do that and would really like to save stuff if I have to clear the phone if possible?

Also I am running stock with nothing I'd think are "exotic" applications. Baseband version L710VPBMD4, Android version 4.1.2 and as far as I know has not changed at least in last couple weeks. fyi, have never had an SD card installed and still have 7.35GB of 11.95GB free so plenty storage, App manager says 747MB used, 847MB free so enough Ram it would seem. Don't go in apps much but only one that I do not recognize is something called PageBuddyNotiSvc. Tried stopping it and Nav still gives same error.

Any gurus here have any ideas? This is my 1st smartphone so do not even know if Sprint tech support will help with software issues? I am still paying the whatever it is $11 or $12 equipment protection if that makes a difference?

fyi, 90% of my usage is as a phone, nav, internet browser so phone is not very useful/dependable now. If you need more info or screenshots, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

u got some screenies? and the only time I've ever gotten those are when my phones been up for like 2 weeks straight on root.

You mean messages by "screenies"? When I first got the phone on ICS a few times in a call got the "the process com.android.phone has stopped" in the middle of a call but that was was no big deal since the call continued as normal and only happened like 3X in 2 months. Unless I mess-up on a call and hold the screen off button too long, my phone normally is fine for a month or more at a time without a shutdown.

You mean messages by "screenies"? When I first got the phone on ICS a few times in a call got the "the process com.android.phone has stopped" in the middle of a call but that was was no big deal since the call continued as normal and only happened like 3X in 2 months. Unless I mess-up on a call and hold the screen off button too long, my phone normally is fine for a month or more at a time without a shutdown.

hmm that's weird lol. How long have you had your phone when it started doing that? I know dirty flashes cause these problems ALOT llol

go into your settings then apps and clear the data and cache of each, then reboot the phone and see if it helps, otherwise i would recommend a factory reset 

hmm that's weird lol. How long have you had your phone when it started doing that? I know dirty flashes cause these problems ALOT llol

"Dirty flashes"? Well it started yesterday and hard to remember but activated phone around July 20th or so last year I think. I am stock so haven't flashed the phone other than OTA updates.

"Dirty flashes"? Well it started yesterday and hard to remember but activated phone around July 20th or so last year I think. I am stock so haven't flashed the phone other than OTA updates.

Dirty flashes, when you mess with the phones custom/stock roms. and o you've had it for a while. Yeah it's always better to get a phone with the latest OS version than updating. Idr why tho

• Like 1

go into your settings then apps and clear the data and cache of each, then reboot the phone and see if it helps, otherwise i would recommend a factory reset 

Wow it seems to have worked for navigation even got it to start fine from whatever they call it google now/voice. I reset the data/cache for nav. I do not see phone or "mail" in apps so not sure what to rest there. Although knock on wood tried 3 calls and they all worked too. Be weird how corrupt data in navigation would get me failures from maps/phone/email.

Thanks

Dirty flashes, when you mess with the phones custom/stock roms. and o you've had it for a while. Yeah it's always better to get a phone with the latest OS version than updating. Idr why tho

Its not like I messed with anything and the S3 came with ICS and the updates were basically forced on me by "mother" google/sprint or else get messages to accept every 30 minutes til I get rid of the phone :)

Its not like I messed with anything and the S3 came with ICS and the updates were basically forced on me by "mother" google/sprint or else get messages to accept every 30 minutes til I get rid of the phone :)

Stay with the phone. Root it and try custom roms:D

• Like 1

Wow it seems to have worked for navigation even got it to start fine from whatever they call it google now/voice. I reset the data/cache for nav. I do not see phone or "mail" in apps so not sure what to rest there. Although knock on wood tried 3 calls and they all worked too. Be weird how corrupt data in navigation would get me failures from maps/phone/email.

Thanks

look in the all apps area instead of downloaded area (i think)

*sent from tapatalk using HTCONE*

• Like 1

I've had belly card installed on my s3 for months. I haven't had those errors. Everyone once in awhile I get a gapp errors. But doenst usually affect anything. If the cache trick worked maybe you should download a cache cleaner app and clear your cache regularly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Sounds like corrupted system files. Just because you aren't actively using an app doesn't mean it isn't running in the background because you've allowed it to (email is constantly running at least as a service so it will check and receive new messages, that is the purpose of course). Any app, built-in or downloaded can get corrupted files. Clearing cache and data resets the app back to the default state and will fix many of these issues. Occasionally I've seen a need to uninstall/reinstall a downloaded app to fix it.

No app is perfect, all of them will have bugs. Many of these bugs make them incompatible with some devices, a software update from the manufacturer will often fix an issue and that fix will result in an app issue, requiring an app data clear or the developer of the app to fix the issue the app is having.

I am of the belief EVERY phone software update should require a complete reset of the system. 98% of issues people encounter after a software update are caused by apps being incompatible, having corrupt files, files becoming corrupt in the upgrade process, etc. Most of these are corrected by resetting the phone. 1% may require a complete system reflash because something got corrupted during the flashing process itself, and the remaining 1% are true issues with the software update specifically.

I get this error msg about once a week. Running stock s3. I know gapps is the package you install when you use roms. But nothing crashes when I get this error. Posted Image

I get this error msg about once a week. Running stock s3. I know gapps is the package you install when you use roms. But nothing crashes when I get this error. eze7ypah.jpg

I used to get a similar notification when I rooted my EVOLTE and installed CM10, unfortunately for me when that would happen my data wouldn't work, sometimes it wouldn't come back for hours. 

-Luis

Just read up a little on the gapps error. It's sounds like I'm lucky that I don't suffer any maladies when I get this error. But some have easy fixes. Clear preferences in all apps.