Verizon's Innovation Center

Fraydog

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/verizon-innovation-center-incubation-lte-future/

Darren Murph is a smart guy. That said, he completely missed the point on this article. The whole point of the Verizon Innovation Center is to create a new generation of devices locked into Verizon's network that can't escape, a new walled garden if you will. He doesn't see that? I'm kind of amazed, frankly.

• Like 1

If he were so smart, he would notice the "y" missing from the end of his last name.  As Adam Carolla would say, "That is almost a name..."

:P

AJ

• Like 3

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/verizon-innovation-center-incubation-lte-future/

Darren Murph is a smart guy. That said, he completely missed the point on this article. The whole point of the Verizon Innovation Center is to create a new generation of devices locked into Verizon's network that can't escape, a new walled garden if you will. He doesn't see that? I'm kind of amazed, frankly.

From a consumer standpoint, more handsets are "out of the box" unlocked on Verizon than any other carrier in the US (that I am aware of).

Walled garden?  That's like saying Sprint's M2M business is also a walled garden.

Sprint has this: collaborationcenter.sprint.com/

• Like 1

From a consumer standpoint, more handsets are "out of the box" unlocked on Verizon than any other carrier in the US (that I am aware of).

Walled garden? That's like saying Sprint's M2M business is also a walled garden.

Sprint has this: collaborationcenter.sprint.com/

What other carrier can those devices work on for LTE? VZW has only enabled band 13 support on those devices. Most of these connected devices are going to only be 700 only out of the gate, I'm betting.

Even still, there aren't devices that you can put on VZW and have working voice yet. Verizon has to enable VoLTE for that to happen. VoLTE only users are going to be a niche for a while even after VZW enables it network wide next year.

What other carrier can those devices work on for LTE? VZW has only enabled band 13 support on those devices. Most of these connected devices are going to only be 700 only out of the gate, I'm betting.

Even still, there aren't devices that you can put on VZW and have working voice yet. Verizon has to enable VoLTE for that to happen. VoLTE only users are going to be a niche for a while even after VZW enables it network wide next year.

I am mainly talking the other way around (GSM/UMTS support).

The first will be the GS4 which is sim unlocked and supports LTE on AWS.  Basically, you can be a Verizon customer, buy a GS4 on Verizon, leave Verizon, pop a T-Mobile or other prepaid SIM in your Verizon GS4 and be up and running on T-Mobile LTE.  Sadly, you can't do that on Sprint (even though Sprint phones like the GS4 and HTC One support GSM/UMTS).

Verizon's unlock policies (thanks FCC!) are very consumer friendly.

• Like 1

Unlock it for international use, not domestic. Also, I was under the impression that Sprint's unlocking period was after 90 days, not six months. You may want to call Sprint international support and verify.

If your account has a spending limit like mine, then it's after the spending limit is removed. :(

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2