What... in the world just happened on these calls?

poor_red_neck

I have to say I don't think I've ever had this happen, and not sure how it could have happened but luckily I use a call recorder so I can say I'm not crazy :)

I'm a personal assistant for a "celebrity" so all my phone calls get recorded for various reasons (remembering what my boss asks me to do, covering my a** when I try and arrange something and they back out, etc) Any ways I was calling a friend of mine on on his Verizon mobile phone. As soon as I placed the call, I heard background noise. No ring what so ever. There's someone talking in the back ground. Not sure if he was already in a call, or placing a call at the same time, or if his phone rang/picked up when I placed my call. We exchange a few words and he sounds as surprised as me. 3/4 of the way through the call, I hear ringing and someone else connects and answers (as if his phone rang) and starts speaking what I'm guessing is Spanish. I hang up, a little confused.

About maybe 20 to 30 seconds after hanging up, I place the call again. Again I'm instantly connected to someone (I'm guessing somebody different) and this time it sounds like it's just background noise, and the person is not placing a call or in the middle of a call.

What... In... The.... World... Happened.

First Call: http://www.imajonesi...XXXXXXX_Out.3gp

Second Call: http://www.imajonesi...XXXXXXX_Out.3gp

I'm the "fainter voice" aka Jonathan.

Now I'm a nerd, so if this can be explained I would love to understand how/why. Don't dumb it down too much for me :) Cell phone technology as far as the networking and RF side is something that's just not easily studied or "common knowledge."

Thanks S4GRU!!!

Edited by poor_red_neck

Now I'm a nerd, so if this can be explained I would love to understand how/why. Don't dumb it down too much for me :) Cell phone technology as far as the networking and RF side is something that's just not easily studied or "common knowledge."

Nothing plausible on the RF side could explain what happened. Instead, on the wired network side, the proverbial wires "got crossed."

AJ

Ah so it's something on the tel-co side more than likely? Not two phones being assigned the same frequency? (This is where my ignorance of cell technology comes in. Are frequencies shared between devices and encryption keys are given or is each phone assigned a specific frequency during a call?. See with everything being essentially wireless voIP (I'm assuming, since it's "digital" not analog) I don't understand how the error could have taken place. I guess I should mention for the obvious that I was also on my cell, Sprint of course. If it were an analog system, I'd assume the channels were crossed/both in use, or the "physical line" from where the cell tower connected to the tell-co's copper were both connected at the same time.

In the digital cell phone world, where phone calls are encrypted digital data transmissions I don't see how this could happen. I could understand maybe getting a bunch of garbled mess instead of understandable audio, or simply a failed call.

If it makes any difference, the recordings start the instant I press the call button. Every other phone call recorded starts the ringing about 1.5 to two seconds or so after placing the call button. So essentially with those two phone calls, as soon as I hit the call button, maybe less than a one second pause I start hearing audible background noise.

Edited by poor_red_neck

There has been a couple of times I've been on my work cell, mot admiral, and it's really hard to hear the person I'm talking to, usually 911, because I hear two other people having a complete different convo, side note one of the times it was about drugs when I was calling in a verified alarm. I hear then before the person I'm calling picks up.

Were you making these calls from a cell phone to another cell phone or from a landline to a cell phone?

Cross talk is really common in landlines so if its landline to cell phone, I can understand that happening.

Cross talk is not that common in an all digital path such as cell phone to cell phone. Unless someone has a digital test set plugged in and is doing "network quality monitoring".

The only other idea I have is that somewhere along the path, there was a wire tap happening and it got misconfigured.