Google tablet to be out by summer?

legion125

Here's some news. Google's new tablet may be called the Google Play. Although still speculated to be a small tablet, it may have features that place it above an entry level device. production may start in April. Is this what you were thinking a Google tablet should be? 7" or 10"/ High end/mid-level or low end? I'm curious to see what the final design and capabilities will be.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Play-could-that-be-the-name-of-an-upcoming-Google-tablet_id27607

Google Play: could that be the name of an upcoming Google tablet?

We’ve already heard whispers about Google being in the process of building the first tablet with its own brand name on it, but now it seems that a streak of domain name registrations might have given away its name.

Google Play - that’s what Google might have chosen for the name of a 7-inch tablet that’s allegedly coming up. With a rumored resolution of 1280x800 pixels, the tablet will offer more than entry-level tablets. It’s also very likely to feature the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, it would be a shame if Google released a product with earlier version of Android.

Production of the Google Play tablet could start as early as in April 2012.

Now, here’s the only clue we have for why Google might have chosen Play as the name. On February 29th, the company registered a bunch of domains via brand protection company MarkMonitor. Check out the list and let us know what you think about it - is that really enough evidence to suggest an upcoming Google Play tablet?

Who is going to make it? I'm hoping Asus. I don't know who else Google would choose. If they keep choosing Samsung, the other manufacturers will cry foul. Asus is pretty much king of Android tablets right now.

Asus is starting to remind me of HTC except its in the tablet category. Pulling themselves out of nowhere to make a mark in the industry.

S4GRU is brought to you via an ASUS Quad Core Essentio PC. I love this machine. ASUS, FTW!

You wouldn't hear me complaining about it if they were to tap ASUS on the shoulder for this, as I am also a happy customer of theirs.

With April fast approching I'm wondering when or if we will see more details as to the hardware leaked.

We should be hearing something as soon as a willing employee in whichever factory Google chooses makes the inevitable leak when an analyst bribes them for info. Hopefully Google won't pick a Foxconn subsidiary and start the whole slave labor issue again. Apple is still smarting over that.

ASUS would be ok with me. Usually thier products are good.

I bought the original transformer when it came out and it was pretty decent.

Ended up taking it back and exchanging it for the ACER 500 though.

Acer 500 buid quality is actualy better, and I like having usb host on the tablet without needing a dock. Much more convient for me. But I will say the asus had a better screen.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

According to this rumor, the Google tablet may indeed be made by Asus. If true, this will certainly put their name on the map. $199, quad-core Tegra 3 and of course, ICS.

http://androidandme....d-core-tegra-3/

That article hit it on the head. They are losing a ton of revenue with Amazon's Kindle Fire taking the Android market share and need something blockbuster and cheap to compete with it. A $200 powerful Android tablet could reverse that trend and put more tablets in the hands of those who have resisted the tablet craze because it was "too expensive" or "impractical." I don't know if Google will reap the kind of revenue that Amazon scrapes out of their platform, but they need some at least. A $300 10 inch tablet will probably sell even more stock than the 7 incher..

Wow, if that turns out to be true, I may just have to pick one up. If the specs are similar to the 370T, minus the storage, do you think ASUS will rethink that product? Because a 200$ "Nexus Tablet" would def take away some of the potential buyers in that area, I know I would be one.

And if a 10" tablet with a 300$ price point and similar specs, I'd be all over it.

It's interesting that Google thinks that Amazon is the enemy and not Apple. I agree, a 10" Google tablet moderately cheaper than the iPad, I would be first in line, although a 7" is making me at least curious.

• Like 1

It's interesting that Google thinks that Amazon is the enemy and not Apple. I agree, a 10" Google tablet moderately cheaper than the iPad, I would be first in line, although a 7" is making me at least curious.

They both are. They don't get Android Marketplace revenue from iPad or Kindle Fire users. I guess the Kindle fire can be rooted and android marketplace added... For the most part all kindle fire revenue goes to amazon.

There is also the issue of developers jumping off the Android train and going to Kindle Fire and Windows Phone platforms to create apps. Google has to counteract that and become a player in the tablet market.

• Like 1

I was just reading about this.

It is supposed to be a 7in Nexus tablet made by Asus

And go on sale for $199!

Id buy one of those! Even if i do have a prime!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have you guys gone to the Android Market on your computer lately?

https://play.google.com/store

Is where I ended up after I clicked my bookmark.

"Introducing Google Play"

So much for the rumor that it was going to be the Google Play tablet. I didn't care for the name anyway.

So much for the rumor that it was going to be the Google Play tablet. I didn't care for the name anyway.

Your right, sounds more like a Fisher Price toy. I'm hoping Google's marketing team comes up with a better name for the tablet.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some more scoop on the Google tablet. I can wait until July and with this mentioned price point, it may just include the Tegra 3. I hope so, $250 would still be a giood price to pay for a real 7" Android tablet.

Quote:

"Still, that sounds like a reasonable price to pay if the upcoming Nexus (or Play, or whatever Google calls it) tablet really sports that very capable Tegra 3 quad-core chip. Other details are again confirmed - it’ll be a 7-inch slate with Wi-Fi support only and no 3G connectivity."

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-tablet-release-date-allegedly-moved-to-July-might-cost-250_id28835

I can see the reasoning for hitting the $200 price point. The fire is 200 and it will surely be a lot cheaper than the iPad if Apple comes out with a small iPad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Agreed. I still be willing to pay $250 for a real up to date (spec & OS) tablet instead of the watered down devices that Amazon and B & N offer.

Definitely. I would probably buy a dual core, and definitely buy a quad core if they make it with it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk