Upgrade date according to Sprint much earlier than expected, thoughts/opinions? Also insurance, plan extras?

chgoguy80

I thought I'd post this question it's not NV really but folks here are really knowledgeable about Sprint and seem to upgrade alot :). Longtime Sprint customer 13-14 years+ (so had been "premier" forever til they got rid of it not that it got me anything). Does Sprint ever do funny things purposely or not on upgrade dates? In July 2012, the lines on my account upgraded to the S3.

For some reason, it says I am eligible for an upgrade this April, my other 2 lines show eligible as of 2007. 2007 would have been when the previous upgrade period expired on our old phones. Yes, we had our A920's for 6+ years :). Are the dates real? and if I attempted to upgrade my line soon would they catch it after the fact and impose some crazy penalty saying "well yeah we approved the upgrade but it was a mistake and now you have to pay full price for the phone and no you can't return it"?

The S4 looks good, but I'd wait for at least the Note 3 or Note 4 (damn wish the screen was bigger on the S3) especially with lack of SVDO on anything after the S3. Actually, it would be more that if they approve the upgrades as needed, we could drop the $11/mo insurance on the 3 phones since the deductible would be as much as a new phone upgrade. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

We are thinking of lowering/dropping some insurance. My folks have S3's in cases but no screen protectors but think they should maybe drop their insurance entirely. I love how thin the S3 is, as a relatively big phone I don't even notice it in my pocket. I did drop it once and the "pretty" gray band is chipped in one spot, so even though I am careful with the phone its no A920 (flipphone, it was a tank in comparison) so I'd keep my insurance unless you think I could use an upgrade?

As an aside anyone else get to keep some of their old goodies when forced into these new plans (first incoming minute free, 6pm NW, recurring bonus minutes, free 1 landline etc)? We kept most but a few including 1/2 our bonus minutes (said best they could do was 90 minutes/line/month) they said they had no codes :(

For the upgrade dates, it honestly sounds like the previous upgrades weren't run through properly, and you're just incredibly lucky. What it comes down to is, if the system says you're upgrade eligible, then you are eligible. I'd get on that before the system runs some script and kicks that out.

For insurance, whether or not ERP is worth it is up for debate. $9 a month + $150 deductible is a hard pill to swallow (when you can get like-new S3's off of eBay for ~$350). They position it as saving money vs the full outright price ($550 for the S3). I do think that everyone should have ESRP, though. $4/month to cover manufacturer's defects and normal wear+tear for your 2 years is definitely worth it; all it takes is a cat hitting your charging cord a few times for the port to come loose, and without ESRP, that's $50.

As for the "plan goodies", no, usually those fall off for that very reason. However, I personally have yet to see a family share plan go over the 1500 minutes thanks to free mobile-to-mobile.

• Like 1

For the upgrade dates, it honestly sounds like the previous upgrades weren't run through properly, and you're just incredibly lucky. What it comes down to is, if the system says you're upgrade eligible, then you are eligible. I'd get on that before the system runs some script and kicks that out.

For insurance, whether or not ERP is worth it is up for debate. $9 a month + $150 deductible is a hard pill to swallow (when you can get like-new S3's off of eBay for ~$350). They position it as saving money vs the full outright price ($550 for the S3). I do think that everyone should have ESRP, though. $4/month to cover manufacturer's defects and normal wear+tear for your 2 years is definitely worth it; all it takes is a cat hitting your charging cord a few times for the port to come loose, and without ESRP, that's $50.

As for the "plan goodies", no, usually those fall off for that very reason. However, I personally have yet to see a family share plan go over the 1500 minutes thanks to free mobile-to-mobile.

I agree, I have the 1500 Family share and if we use more then 200 minutes of it, it's a miracle.

i had upgrade dates screw me before.... condensed version of the story; used a "premier" line upgrade, then had my phone break so used an upgrade on a different line when i noticed the "premier" upgrade line said it was eligible again in ~1 year (which i was assuming it would be the normal 22 months). then sometime later all the sudden the upgrade date on the "premier" line changed to what it would have been at the 22 month upgrade. so what it says isn't always accurate and can change at any time so be careful what you do.