advice requested -- NV, data roaming, and Airave?

Hi,

Looking for some advice...

I recently upgraded from a 5-year old flip phone to an iPhone 4. I must live in a quasi-dead zone, and Sensorly seems to bear that out (varies from 1-2 bars in my community). The closest towers are at least 2 miles away and I'm behind some ridges (it's hilly here in East TN).

With my old phone, I'd drop a call just walking around to different rooms in the house. I was simply careful where I walked and I talked. Now with the iPhone it's worse. Literally if I don't stand in 2 spots in the house the phone is worthless for calls.

Also noticed that my first bill I had some "Sprint 3G Data Roaming" (not much, 825 for the first 1/2 month). The phone also switches frequently between Sprint 3G and Extended, which I'm told means I'm roaming in Apple-speak.

I picked up the iPhone used and on the cheap to try it out and. Sprint data speeds are poor here, so I thought I'd try the phone out and not lock myself into a contract in case Network Vision really didn't improve things. I had Verizon ages ago and their signal was great, but I hate to walk away from my SERO plan for a Verizon bill that's easily 2x as much.

I don't think NV has deployed here yet, at least not from talking to friends here in Knoxville with Sprint LTE phones, and according to Sensorly.

Even when NV deploys, do you really think my dead-zone situation will improve?

Should I ask Sprint about an Airave?

Should I be concerned about the Data Roaming? Will they kick me off (I'm not roaming on purpose - I can't help what the phone's doing and my location).

Appreciate your thoughts and thanks!

Your roaming data usage is 825 kB or 825 MB?

AJ

Even when NV deploys, do you really think my dead-zone situation will improve?

NV 3G is supposedly 20% better than pre-NV, so maybe.

They're rolling out Voice (and later LTE) on 800 MHz, the old Nextel/iDEN band, which should dramatically improve your voice coverage issue. However, the iPhone 4 has no support for that band at all.

Should I ask Sprint about an Airave?

If you're in a fair/marginal service area, they should send one out for free. They work great when they work. Don't go in to a store about it; call in (*2 from your phone).

Should I be concerned about the Data Roaming? Will they kick me off (I'm not roaming on purpose - I can't help what the phone's doing and my location).
You have 300 MB of data roaming per month. If you go over this consistently, they will contact you and offer you solutions, up to and including termination of your service.

Up to 20% stronger signal on 1900MHz. In a site covering a small area and steep downtilt, there would be virtually no difference. NV work will only produce a noticeable difference on sites near the network edge and possibly at seams where there was insufficient overlap. But only if the downtilt does not negate it

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Up to 20% stronger signal on 1900MHz. In a site covering a small area and steep downtilt, there would be virtually no difference. NV work will only produce a noticeable difference on sites near the network edge and possibly at seams where there was insufficient overlap. But only if the downtilt does not negate it

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

The amount of nuances with macro scale wireless is just ridiculous. I learn something new every day, even if this one seems obvious, it's not something I've seen discussed here often.

• Like 2