billboard cell sites?

DaQue

I have noticed a few billboards lately that have 3 panels just above the sign a few feet. This a new trend? Anyone know who is putting them up? They are very low compared to most cell sites I see. I wonder if these are a new trend. Small low, limited coverage. Probably cheaper and easier to put in than a new big one.

Like this? http://goo.gl/maps/aVswy

Ironically this one is a Sprint site. Funny thing is there's a another Sprint site literally a block down the road. Not like this is a high population density area either. Now the fact that there used to be a US Unwired corp office building right behind this may have had something to do with it ;)

Kind of a waste of a site now. I will be surprised if it stays during NV.

• Like 1

Ironically this one is a Sprint site. Funny thing is there's a another Sprint site literally a block down the road. Not like this is a high population density area either. Now the fact that there used to be a US Unwired corp office building right behind this may have had something to do with it ;)

Pretty much I was really thinking more like this one.

http://goo.gl/maps/BTYtL

Seen a few like this too:

http://goo.gl/maps/786jM

One odd thing about the panels, they appear to be painted the same color as the pole that holds the billboards.

Throw some 35s, no downtilt and fire it up.

I-35s? Sounds good.

AJ

You are correct. I just checked the NV master, and the site on Hale that appears to cover the mall in on it, but the billboard is not.

Nice confirmation if I understood it right. I always chuckled when I saw that site. But on the contrary US Unwired did an awesome job designing that network there. Gulf Coast Wireless... Errr.. Especially in Baton Rouge. Not so much. The coverage maps even tell the story when comparing.

Just looking at it on paper and knowing what's out there I really hope Sprint didn't pay GCW much.

So anyone got some good pics of odd cell sites?

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Here's one that I built at the MSO that my office is in. It's a 3 sector site with a 4th omni antenna used for testing new carriers. You cant see the 3rd sector in this picture. It is being converted to NV and the Samsung cabinet is already bolted to the floor and powered up. Maybe I'll be a nice guy and grab a few shots of the cabinet if I go to the office tomorrow.

BTW, the goofy looking antenna between the 'panels' is one of 2 GPS heads for the MSC, and the thing that extends from the roof off to the right that looks like a weird antenna is actually the vent for the restrooms.

100_3029.JPG

• Like 4

...and the thing that extends from the roof off to the right that looks like a weird antenna is actually the vent for the restrooms.

I suppose the frequency of that "antenna" depends upon how much coffee you guys are drinking.

:P

AJ

• Like 2

I suppose the frequency of that "antenna" depends upon how much coffee you guys are drinking.

:P

AJ

Sounds about right, although my office is in a different part of the building now so that head doesn't get used alot. Since I don't work in switch anymore, I relocated to somewhere that isn't a constant 66 degrees.

• Like 1

Sounds about right, although my office is in a different part of the building now so that head doesn't get used alot. Since I don't work in switch anymore, I relocated to somewhere that isn't a constant 66 degrees.

As always I enjoy the pics and posts. ;) Instead of 66 its just a range of 15-100 now.

As always I enjoy the pics and posts. ;) Instead of 66 its just a range of 15-100 now.

Today is more on the 15 end of things, although I do have a physical office in the building, I just don't see it for weeks at a time.

I saw one of those monopole cell sites that had a couple panels mounted outside its skin about half way up this weekend. I don't think it was a Sprint site. Just mentioned it because its new to me to see one like that.