Router 2 router wireless bridge (particular brand request)

jonathanm1978

At one point a few months back, someone here was telling another person who asked about making routers into repeaters..or tying 2 routers together ...will that person please speak up and tell me the name of that router you were talking about? It started with a U....but that's all I remember.

I keep trying to think of the brand, but the closest I can remember it was a word similar to ubuntu...but that's a linux version.

I'm looking to buy a couple and make a repeater...having 4 different routers in my house, each with different firmwares and problems from time to time (especially the 2 with factory Netgear and belkin firmware) are an issue.

I have 3 running DD-WRT, but 2 of the 3 are in my house and added to the other 2 that are factory default firmwares. the 3rd DD-WRT is at my neighbors across the yard, and I rarely touch it.

I want to reduce the wire (that I spent so much time trying to hide) that's run inside, and do away with as many possible points of trouble on my internet connection, and this router was spoken of rather highly that a member was telling about. And for about the same price point as what I'm paying for Buffalo HP routers too.

I've not found anything on Newegg that was close to the name either. so I'm guessing it's not available there.

Ubiquiti. They have several models. I've used the Nanostaion Loco M2 and M5 depending on the frequency needed. They have larger if you need to shoot farther. I've used them for about one mile shots or less.

I would make sure you aren't violating your ISP TOS if you are sharing it.

Where can you find those? My newegg mobile app doesn't know what that name is, I'm guessing only a few places you can purchase? (Use Swype and try to type the word newegg without adding to your dictionary. My phone thought I was saying "meth")

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I did Google it, from my phone however all I could pull up were sites that required some click through I didn't have time to wait on, and the main site. I tried looking at the seller link but couldn't find much from mobile that was very useful for purchase information.

You can wirelessly bridge Apple Airports (extreme and express) together as well. Very easy to setup with the software included. This is the setup I currently have and they work great. I stream 2 tv's with netflix over wifi, 2 smart phones and a laptop and never have problems. I have my PS3 plugged into the express (for a faster connection vs. wifi "g") and my stereo to airplay itunes from the laptop or fiancee's iphone.

• 2 weeks later...

Digi:

This one should be at my home today

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007ZJ8KLA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I noticed there is a HP version, them a regular non HP. My buffalo is a HP, high power. Did I pick a decent one?

May order another if this is a good one for range.

So did I waste my money on that one and I need to buy a different kind? I was planning on using this particular router as my main router at home...

I'm more worried about finding out if I wasted my money at this point, but, routers on my property, neighbors use my laptop, on my wireless signal, there is no TOS violated. I can take my laptop to my neighbors, connect to my Wi-Fi if it reaches, and allow them to use my laptop. It's all my stuff and I don't profit or charge for it, which would violate.

What you think and what the TOS has is probably totally different. Until the TOS for your ISP are referenced this discussion can not continue here. As discussing how to violate your terms of service opens up a whole can of worms that is just not going to happen here at S4GRU.

With my residential account I am bound by this:

4. Commercial Use. The Service is designed for personal, non-business related use of the Internet and may not be used for commercial purposes. You may not resell the Service or otherwise make the Service available for use to persons outside your dwelling (for example, through an open wireless home network).

Which means my visitors are more than welcome to use my wireless while they are at my home, but I'm not supposed to provide them internet at their home too. They are supposed to obtain their own service. There are some grey areas of this that I have seen in the past where one neighbor can't get service as the line stops a mile from him. So he would obtain his own personal account a mile down the road and shoot the wireless to his house down the street. I don't think that is what we are dealing with here though.

I just simply asked if this router would work as my main router, forget I mentioned using my internet wherever I please. I just asked if I wasted my money on this router to use it with the repeater I have in my bedroom. at this point I think I'd rather go buy enough cat 5 to run to my bedroom than keep asking if this router is going to work or if I need some antenna with it to make it work.

Actually, I'd prefer to just go scour the internet a few hours instead of asking the same question about it working or not without buying more stuff to make it work. Thanks for the help so far.