Are new phones on old towers faster than old phones on old towers?

DaQue

It may be dumb question but would a Galaxy S3 get about the same 3G data rate on this my local non NV tower as my aging EVO 4G ? I'm asking in the hope something I don't know about in newer phones is faster on 3G. I am due for an upgrade, my EVO 4G (WIMAX) is getting long in the tooth. I get pretty good WIMAX speed here about 3M minimum 4-6 average and it breaks 10Mbps every once in a while late and early in the day. St Peters (suburb of St Louis) doesn't have LTE yet so if I buy a new phone it will be 3G only for a few months. On 3G I get awful data rates 1Mbps max but usually about 0.6 Mbps, less than 0.4 more is not uncommon. Too slow to watch Youtube with out pulling my hair out.

I went to the local Sprint store but the app (FCC TEST) I use to test on the EVO crashes on the S3.Im not switching phones if I it means living with 0.6Mbps.

PS I hope NV helps my ping time, 150-200 most of the time. All speeds were download not upload.

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

Edited by DaQue

It may be dumb question but would a Galaxy S3 get about the same data rate on this my local non NV tower as my aging EVO 4G ? I'm asking in the hope something I don't know about in newer phones is faster on 3G. I am due for an upgrade, my EVO 4G (WIMAX) is getting long in the tooth. I get pretty good WIMAX speed here about 3M minimum 4-6 average and it breaks 10Mbps every once in a while late and early in the day. St Peters (suburb of St Louis) doesn't have LTE yet so if I buy a new phone it will be 3G only for a few months. On 3G I get awful data rates 1Mbps max but usually about 0.6 Mbps, less than 0.4 more is not uncommon. Too slow to watch Youtube with out pulling my hair out.

I went to the local Sprint store but the app (FCC TEST) I use to test on the EVO crashes on the S3.Im not switching phones if I it means living with 0.6Mbps.

PS I hope NV helps my ping time, 150-200 most of the time. All speeds were download not upload.

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

All things being equal, yes. 3G data rates should be about the same. However, sometimes a newer device may have a better radio and may be able to connect to a farther site that has a faster internet connection than your current device. But this scenario would only be possible if you are in areas with good site density. In rural areas or in an area with very spread out sites, this would likely not result in any difference whatsoever.

Robert

• Like 1

I went from the EVO 4G to the EVO LTE and had the same issue until they turned on LTE here. It was for abount a month, seemed like an eternity. It was so painful!!! I would keep the 4G or buy a newer 4G phone on craigslist and wait for LTE in your area before going back to 3G.

I bent my EVO LTE, and had to have it replaced. I was dreading getting a 3G phone every for 3 days. Fortunately Best Buy gave me a Samsung Moment as a loaner until my new EVO LTE came in.

• Like 1

Guess I will wait for STL to get an upgrade and just go for a Note 2 then. Might be a mistake and just too big.

Part of me is hopping the limited time cheap price on the S3's is because they can now use the quad core chip with LTE and will be making the US version quad core like the international one. S3 looks nice next to my old EVO.

my opinion , a radio can affect everything but , backhaul is backhaul which as mine is upgraded it gets worse

mobile EVO

lol come on young Jedi Toledo is getting better... You must be getting crap service in Toledo itself my speeds have been been 1mb+ as of recent and for the attena I will agree that it can have a big.impact .... Tho I still say I'm in the portal of cell phone towers ill connect to one tower then a few secs later ill be at another tho and I wonder if maybe that has something to do with the roaming issues we had and I still have I've roamed on Verizon and metro pcs but I don't think this has to do with it but I don't get a bad signal eather way but I cant lie Toledo needs some of that nv love