Network Vision/LTE - Norfolk Market (Hampton Roads/Virginia Tidewater)

wellsey1126

I believe that is band 41 right? I didn't think there is any of that planned till later in 2014 in Hampton Roads.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

No...? CDMA1x 800 is just that... 1x. Not LTE, not Band 41 certainly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry but how can I tell of there is CDMA1x 800 signal. I have signal checker installed.

This is a screen shot from Signal Check showing a 1x 800 signal.

Screenshot_2014-02-01-15-53-201.png

Got it. I will start checking now that I understand. Is signal checker pro worth getting? Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I'd say yes, but I would read the Signal Check thread and learn what the extra features are (I can't remember whats different).

It looked like you had the street address. That would be nice.

In some markets (it sometimes also varies between legacy and NV sites) you have an exact address, in others you will get an offset address. However if you get all three offset addresses from each sector, the tower will be roughly in the center.

That is what I wanted to let you know by showing you my signal checker at home in Hampton. I don't really know the difference. Is the 800 RTT better?

800 does offer some benefits over 1900 when it comes to range (there are reports on here of people connecting to towers over 40 miles away on 800) and in building penetration. That said if you have a good 1900 signal for voice, you probably won't notice a difference if the phone where to switch to 800.

• 1 month later...

Hi, first post on the forums. Let me start off by saying thanks for all the helpfull information although I admit some of it is right over my head :)

I'm active duty military here in Norfolk area and I've noticed LTE expanding to more area's nearby however some of them the LTE capability is very weak (speedtest.net app showing under 1meg down and around 2meg up). I sometimes get better speeds on 3G however the latency is worse. When I'm stuck on the ship for duty days I like to tether my phone and do a little gaming after work. The 4G seems unrealiable and has limited throughput, however is quicker (not faster) than 3G.

LTE seems very finicky in this area. The building that I'm in right now I can only get 3 bars of 3G (eHRPD: -86dBm on SID: 4982) however if I spep about 15 feet outside the building I pick up 2 bars of LTE.

3G speed test .64Mbps d .73Mbps u

4G speed test: 2.97Mbps d 1.08 u on same server

Is the penetration of the 4G signal really that bad? Is it a matter of time before all the 3G becomes 4G?

I keep getting told by sprint reps to "hold on it'll be worth it", do you guys agree?

To be honest with you and I am sure this won't be popular on here but I am getting tired of that wait answer from Sprint. I am really looking at at&t or T-Mobile. I need to understand how it would work to switch. I have been experiencing so many dropped calls too.

To be honest with you and I am sure this won't be popular on here but I am getting tired of that wait answer from Sprint. I am really looking at at&t or T-Mobile. I need to understand how it would work to switch. I have been experiencing so many dropped calls too.

You should go.  You're answer is smashingly popular around here.  You should get the service that best meets your needs.  We don't pay your service bill.

Robert

• Like 1

Hi, first post on the forums. Let me start off by saying thanks for all the helpfull information although I admit some of it is right over my head :)

I'm active duty military here in Norfolk area and I've noticed LTE expanding to more area's nearby however some of them the LTE capability is very weak (speedtest.net app showing under 1meg down and around 2meg up). I sometimes get better speeds on 3G however the latency is worse. When I'm stuck on the ship for duty days I like to tether my phone and do a little gaming after work. The 4G seems unrealiable and has limited throughput, however is quicker (not faster) than 3G.

LTE seems very finicky in this area. The building that I'm in right now I can only get 3 bars of 3G (eHRPD: -86dBm on SID: 4982) however if I spep about 15 feet outside the building I pick up 2 bars of LTE.

Is the penetration of the 4G signal really that bad? Is it a matter of time before all the 3G becomes 4G?

I keep getting told by sprint reps to "hold on it'll be worth it", do you guys agree?

Sounds like LTE on higher frequencies like T-Mobile and Sprint have deployed doesn't meet your needs.  Sprint is now deploying LTE on 800MHz nationwide, except along the Mexican and Canadian border.  But you will need to have a Triband LTE device to use it when it gets to the Tidewater later this year.  T-Mobile will have some 700MHz LTE service usable in some limited areas next year.

If you need low frequency LTE and can't wait a few more months, you will have to go to Verizon or AT&T.

Robert

Since you are on a ship in port or in buildings, I would think between 800 and a few more live LTE sites (not all the sites near the naval base are live yet) should result in better service if you can wait.

Greetings to all, has anyone got a One M8 yet, and been able to use LTE in the 757?  I have read from several people that LTE service is hit or miss in various areas due to the eCSFB.  I have a EVO 4G LTE (right now getting great LTE connections) and want to upgrade to the M8, and will be honest the eCSFB issue is the only thing that is holding me back. 

Greetings to all, has anyone got a One M8 yet, and been able to use LTE in the 757? I have read from several people that LTE service is hit or miss in various areas due to the eCSFB. I have a EVO 4G LTE (right now getting great LTE connections) and want to upgrade to the M8, and will be honest the eCSFB issue is the only thing that is holding me back.

The CSFB issue should be resolved throughout your market. The last several clusters of sites that lacked the needed 3G integration were accepted a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get info on completion and how to test this prior to buying the M8?

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE via Tapatalk

We have maps in our sponsor section showing the upgraded sites. Otherwise you'll just have to test drive the M8 to find out!

Sent from my Nexus 5

• 2 months later...

Just an update... It looks like 800 1x started showing up across Hampton Roads in the past month or so. In some places there is significant improvement in voice coverage as a result. According to Sprint, 800Mhz LTE is also coming in the next few months.