Network Vision/LTE - Norfolk Market (Hampton Roads/Virginia Tidewater)

wellsey1126

In several places where I have previously had 4G and "should" have it now, I've had to use the Update PRL function to get my GSIII to switch to the LTE signal. Posting this in case it helps someone else :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is anybody really getting any 4G service? I've had a capable phone now for almost two weeks and I haven't received anything even though, the Sprint maps are showing like I should be in a prime spot.

Is anybody really getting any 4G service? I've had a capable phone now for almost two weeks and I haven't received anything even though, the Sprint maps are showing like I should be in a prime spot.

Really? We have had lots of reports from the Hampton Roads. Are you using a LTE device? Is your LTE turned on? If both of these are a yea, I'd take your device in to a corporate store. You may have a problem with your device.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Really? We have had lots of reports from the Hampton Roads. Are you using a LTE device? Is your LTE turned on? If both of these are a yea, I'd take your device in to a corporate store. You may have a problem with your device.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Yeah, maybe his device really isn't capable or he has it set on CDMA only instead of CDMA/LTE or maybe he has an old PRL that he needs to update or maybe it's a bad device.

BTW, it's referred to as just "Hampton Roads", without the "the" ;) .

Its a brand new HTC One and I know my way around the phone and settings and I tried updating the PRL. I went back to Best Buy but, the guy in the store said he get's very spotty 4G so I didn't push on it too hard.

Yeah, maybe his device really isn't capable or he has it set on CDMA only instead of CDMA/LTE or maybe he has an old PRL that he needs to update or maybe it's a bad device.

He probably forgot the word "area" which the "the" would fit.

Sent from my little Note2

Whatever...

I'll just call it "THE Tidewater" instead. Or I can call it what all the tourists call the whole region, "Virginia Beach.". ;)

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Whatever...

I'll just call it "THE Tidewater" instead. Or I can call it what all the tourists call the whole region, "Virginia Beach.". ;)

I meant no disrespect in my post, just trying to inform what the correct usage is as I have seen "the" used in front of the name on posts here before. Oh, and just so that people don't get confused, saying "THE Tidewater" is not proper usage either; it's just "Tidewater", as in "all of the folks in Tidewater [or Hampton Roads] have been waiting for some sort of Sprint 4G service for a long, long time..."

It's true that some out of towners call it "Virginia Beach", however the area extends all the way to Williamsburg (another "tourist" city), which is an hour away (or about an hour and a half drive with no traffic from the populated edge of Virginia Beach to the edge of Williamsburg).

As I mentioned once before, it's the largest metro area on the East Coast where Sprint didn't launch WiMax. Consequently, 3G speeds are very slow throughout the region.

Edited by GoWireless

Its a brand new HTC One and I know my way around the phone and settings and I tried updating the PRL. I went back to Best Buy but, the guy in the store said he get's very spotty 4G so I didn't push on it too hard.

How does your reception compare to the Sprint 4G LTE maps on Sensorly?

I meant no disrespect in my post, just trying to inform what the correct usage is as I have seen "the" used in front of the name on posts here before. Oh, and just so that people don't get confused, saying "THE Tidewater" is not proper usage either; it's just "Tidewater", as in "all of the folks in Tidewater [or Hampton Roads] have been waiting for some sort of Sprint 4G service for a long, long time..."

It's true that some out of towners call it "Virginia Beach", however the area extends all the way to Williamsburg (another "tourist" city), which is an hour away (or about an hour and a half drive with no traffic from the populated edge of Virginia Beach to the edge of Williamsburg).

As I mentioned once before, it's the largest metro area on the East Coast where Sprint didn't launch WiMax. Consequently, 3G speeds are very slow throughout the region.

I didn't take it as disrespect. However, I'm not overly concerned about my accidental use of articles. How many New Mexicans even know the terms of Tidewater and Hampton Roads to describe your region? Not many. I am not so thin skinned to take offense. I am secure in my vast geographical knowledge. Did I ever mention I won the State of Florida Geography Bee when I was in 8th Grade and went on to participate nationally?

Enjoy your Spring there in THE Virginia Beach. :hee:

Robert

Hah, having lived in Williamsburg for several years, that area is technically called The Peninsula. The rest (the so-called Seven Cities) is called Tidewater.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I have a HTC EVO 4G ... for several months I have had 4G in Norfolk ... Ghent area .... and Newport News.. Jefferson to Aberdeen..

NOW NOTHING .... the phone will scan ... say its scanning .... connect .... check IP Address .... then says ... turning OFF ...

the PRI is 1.56-144 .... the PRL is 61009

How do you check the CDMA switch on this phone ?? Where is it located at in the set-up ?? I did a phone update awhile back .. but 4G was still working after update ... I do real estate ... and take alot of pictures with phone ... and email them back to the office .... sometimes 30 to 50 pictures at a time .... 3G takes 5 to 10 minutes to go though .... I have really gotton use to the 4G ..... 50 pictures in less than 20 seconds !!!!

SOMEONE TELL ME WHATS WRONG !! Help !

It may be the whole market is temporarily down.

I have a HTC EVO 4G ... for several months I have had 4G in Norfolk ... Ghent area .... and Newport News.. Jefferson to Aberdeen..

NOW NOTHING .... the phone will scan ... say its scanning .... connect .... check IP Address .... then says ... turning OFF ...

the PRI is 1.56-144 .... the PRL is 61009

How do you check the CDMA switch on this phone ?? Where is it located at in the set-up ?? I did a phone update awhile back .. but 4G was still working after update ... I do real estate ... and take alot of pictures with phone ... and email them back to the office .... sometimes 30 to 50 pictures at a time .... 3G takes 5 to 10 minutes to go though .... I have really gotton use to the 4G ..... 50 pictures in less than 20 seconds !!!!

SOMEONE TELL ME WHATS WRONG !! Help !

There's a Sprint corp. store over near the northwest corner of Greenbriar and Eden Way. You might wanna pop in there and see if they know something about this. If you find out anything, please let us know.

EDIT: wait, are you talking about LTE or the little WiMax network that was up in small parts of Norfolk and a couple of other places? If so, Sprint may have decided to shut that network down since it was never really up officially in Hamton Roads and the coverage on it was extremely limited.

Edited by GoWireless

I had LTE service earlier today in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake as well in Norfolk near Monticello and 21st street. I am connected now to LTE in the Oceanview area although the signal is always very weak in this area.

I had LTE service earlier today in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake as well in Norfolk near Monticello and 21st street. I am connected now to LTE in the Oceanview area although the signal is always very weak in this area.

See my EDIT above. He may have been talking about the old WiMax network that was up in portions of downtown Norfolk. I think there was also a tower broadcasting WiMax up in NN too. Sprint/Clearwire may have shut that down.

Edited by GoWireless

I'm not sure if it was Wimax or LTE .... but it was 4G .... the phone was going in and out .. from 3g to 4g ... but this was only resently that I was getting 4g .... I can't believe I was working off an old system . I had been in that area many times ... and only had 3g ... then one day ... someone flipped a switch ... and I had 4g ...... Are you saying this is an old system that Sprint turned on .... then turned it back off ?

I bought the phone from Radio Shack ...a year ago .... no one in the store told me ... Sprint didn't have 4g ... And I thought I was upgrading myself !!! now I get a taste of 4g .... and they take it away ...

I'm not sure if it was Wimax or LTE .... but it was 4G .... the phone was going in and out .. from 3g to 4g ... but this was only resently that I was getting 4g .... I can't believe I was working off an old system . I had been in that area many times ... and only had 3g ... then one day ... someone flipped a switch ... and I had 4g ...... Are you saying this is an old system that Sprint turned on .... then turned it back off ?

I bought the phone from Radio Shack ...a year ago .... no one in the store told me ... Sprint didn't have 4g ... And I thought I was upgrading myself !!! now I get a taste of 4g .... and they take it away ...

It all depends on which phone you have, there are three different models:

HTC EVO 3D

HTC EVO 4G

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Which of these is yours?

I have the HTC EVO V 3d 4G .... Is that a WIMAX only phone ???

As gonowhere noted, the EVO 3D is a CDMA/WiMax phone only. Clearwire was going to build a full 4G WiMax network in Hampton Roads (like they did in Richmond and most other large cities) which Sprint uses also but Hampton Roads was one of the last markets they got to and they ran out of money while only completing a small portion of the network. Since Clear has no customers in this area since they never officially launched service, the network is mainly used by Sprint users. Since Sprint now has its own 4G network, it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to shut down Clear's WiMax network. They are never going to complete it anyway. So... you may need a new phone if you want 4G. The good news is though that you should have considerably more coverage with Sprint's 4G LTE than with WiMax because the LTE network is much more widely deployed and supposedly being expanded.

Not sure if your source in Williamsburg is slacking, but I found a couple tower with LTE that aren't listed on the sponsor map. Here's just one example: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EBB1BBE8D0A16312!1890&authkey=!AElaF1wuRqAAJDs

Ummm, the source is Sprint. We mark sites that Sprint has accepted complete from their Contractors. If you find a site that is live, but not on our maps, it is most likely in testing from the OEM.