Network Vision/LTE - Norfolk Market (Hampton Roads/Virginia Tidewater)

wellsey1126

I was out near the corner of Holland & Rosemont about an hour ago and had 4G showing while on Holland Road, but not in teh Chimney Hill Shopping Center. I couldn't get speedtest to complete (guess I moved out of it too quickly), but I was running Sensorly again so that should provide more data points in that area.

My phone is in LTE mode. Not running any custom roms and have been running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 for a few weeks. Guess the only thing I can do is go sit were there are 4 bars showing on sensorly and see if it's my phone. My wife has the same phone so I'll drag her along and see if it connects. The one thing about the roll out that is odd to me is that Chesapeak had coverage before any where in VA Beach.

It's not odd at all. They are working in the entire Norfolk market, which runs from the Williamsburg area over to the Maryland state line on the Delmarva down to Elizabeth City area in NE North Carolina. All the sites need to be upgraded and they work on a dozen plus sites at a time. Some get done faster than others. They go live first. Some cities have more difficult planning reviews and permitting that can cause them to take longer as well.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Hi all, i live around the ODU area. I have an iphone 5 on sprints network and when down to hampton boulevard less than half a mile from my place i get the LTE in my phone but in my home i just get 3g and the 3g is really bad in comparison to 3g of verizon and att...i was wondering since the LTE signal already set up so close to my area...they wont be doing any more work at this place..or was this just initial setup and later on they are going to make the signal powerful or just put some more towers around. Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Hi all, i live around the ODU area. I have an iphone 5 on sprints network and when down to hampton boulevard less than half a mile from my place i get the LTE in my phone but in my home i just get 3g and the 3g is really bad in comparison to 3g of verizon and att...i was wondering since the LTE signal already set up so close to my area...they wont be doing any more work at this place..or was this just initial setup and later on they are going to make the signal powerful or just put some more towers around. Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Only a handful of towers have been upgraded in your area. Work is ongoing across the whole market, and work will continue until every single tower has been upgraded. Sprint's objective with Network Vision is to replace the entire network with new 3G equipment, and 4G LTE on every tower. This means not only will you get LTE, but the 3G network will be enhanced as well.

• Like 1

Only a handful of towers have been upgraded in your area. Work is ongoing across the whole market, and work will continue until every single tower has been upgraded. Sprint's objective with Network Vision is to replace the entire network with new 3G equipment, and 4G LTE on every tower. This means not only will you get LTE, but the 3G network will be enhanced as well.

thank you very much Dkoellerwx, that fills me with hope :-)

4G been flickering in and out at ivo the south end of Holland Road for a couple of days; I've been mapping when I can and it shows in sensorly. Speed tests had been failing for me during upload but today I managed to get a good one in the Harris Teeter parking lot (2476 Nimmo Parkway Virginia Beach).

I suspect it's the tower off North Landing Road (near North Landing Elementary).

post-8889-0-05537400-1358890451_thumb.png

New to Spring & I have a question about towers etc.

Is Sprint putting up new LTE towers?

Looking at a map on cellreception.com, there are only about 8 Sprint towers on the peninsula in the hampton roads area, covering Hampton, Newport News & Yorktown. Looking at the map, there seems to be a few area that have no/low coverage. Are there more towers/antennas? maybe just not listed?

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=hampton&state_abr=va

I'm a new sprint customer, eagerly anticipating LTE...

Looking at a map on cellreception.com,

http://www.cellrecep...on&state_abr=va

The site states, "Unfortunately, not every antenna is needs to be registered with the FCC, and the map may not list all the towers in the area."

In checking out the cellreception map for my area and comparing it to the maps at s4gru.com there are a lot of towers missing from the cellreception map.

Meanwhile, in the news from the competition department...

AT&T officially "launched" LTE in South Hampton Roads today. I put launched in quotes because coverage is still quite limited, though where it exists it's pretty good... pulled about 35mbps down near Lynnhaven mall yesterday.

T-Mobile also "launched" HSPA1900 coverage in SHR a few weeks back. Its footprint too however is rather limited. Speeds are good though, about 9mbps down if you are where you can get a UMTS1900 signal.

Well rolled back my prl, and it didn't help. Sprint must have turned it off. :(

It will probably be back soon. This happens occasionally in prelaunch markets.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Some more accepted sites in the Norfolk market yesterday. More details and maps in the Sponsor section: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/621-network-vision-site-map-dc-baltimore-delaware-richmond-norfolk-southern-virginia-markets/page__view__findpost__p__103552

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
Noticed signal has been getting weaker the past couple weeks. Drove to Norfolk and back to Williamsburg today and didn't pick up 4G once, not even where I had coverage before.

Signals are turned off frequently in unlaunched markets as they work on the network. It's not an issue of signal weakening.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Sprint is launching LTE in Hampton Roads tomorrow!! Just noticed my S3 was connected to 4G at my house today, too. I believe there are a couple towers that are turned on in williamsburg that are not on the update map. Specifically 4881 centerville rd; and powhatan creek trail, williamsburg.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/sprint-leak-has-lte-reaching-los-angeles-april-12/

• Like 1

Sprint is launching LTE in Hampton Roads tomorrow!! Just noticed my S3 was connected to 4G at my house today, too. I believe there are a couple towers that are turned on in williamsburg that are not on the update map. Specifically 4881 centerville rd; and powhatan creek trail, williamsburg.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/sprint-leak-has-lte-reaching-los-angeles-april-12/

Yes, LTE in HR now also shows up on Sprint's official coverage map. That said, while it might be "officially launched" tomorrow, there are still significant gaps in LTE coverage across Hampton Roads. According to Sprint's map, in Virginia Beach for example there's a large coverage hole several miles in diameter centering around the TCC campus. Also, there's no coverage in Great Neck. Hopefully Sprint will fill those gaps quickly.

Edited by GoWireless
  • Like 2

Yes, LTE in HR now also shows up on Sprint's official coverage map. That said, while it might be "officially launched" tomorrow, there are still significant gaps in LTE coverage across Hampton Roads. According to Sprint's map, in Virginia Beach for example there's a large coverage hole several miles in diameter centering around the TCC campus. Also, there's no coverage in Great Neck. Hopefully Sprint will fill those gaps quickly.

Just in time for my new HTC One!!!