Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Quick question for you expert hunters down in Cbus. They've been testing some 1x800 sites close enough to my house that I was able to pick up two different sites yesterday on my iPhone 5 running one of Digi's PRLs with 1x800 at a higher priority:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390161015.037791.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390161025.286631.jpg

So my question is this, will the Base ID on the 1x800 site match that of the EVDO signal? I ask because there's a cluster of 3G accepted sites just south of me and I was wondering if I could use the base ID info to determine which site's signal I received in my house.

• Like 1

Quick question for you expert hunters down in Cbus. They've been testing some 1x800 sites close enough to my house that I was able to pick up two different sites yesterday on my iPhone 5 running one of Digi's PRLs with 1x800 at a higher priority: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390161015.037791.jpg attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390161025.286631.jpg So my question is this, will the Base ID on the 1x800 site match that of the EVDO signal? I ask because there's a cluster of 3G accepted sites just south of me and I was wondering if I could use the base ID info to determine which site's signal I received in my house.

Hmmm. We've not tracked the BIDs and thusly haven't really looked at them. I had to do some digging in my posts about the site near me. The 800 and 1900 BIDs are the same on upgraded sites. The NIDs are also the same between bands on upgraded sites. The SIDs are different though. Traditionally:

legacy site     4418/35/y

NV 3G site     4418/214/x

NV 1Xa site   22442/214/x

test 1Xa sites usually have 22449/214/x or 22449/65535/x

Notice my use of x and y for variables.

Note about using Digi's 800 test PRL, I believe he didn't go in and rework the EVDO scans so if you connect to a 800 test site, your phone will scan for EVDO on channels used in Puerto Rico or some state out west. So data may not be usable unless your phone can gleam data from the 1Xa site which is possible.

• Like 1

Hmmm. We've not tracked the BIDs and thusly haven't really looked at them. I had to do some digging in my posts about the site near me. The 800 and 1900 BIDs are the same on upgraded sites. The NIDs are also the same between bands on upgraded sites. The SIDs are different though. Traditionally:

legacy site 4418/35/y

NV 3G site 4418/214/x

NV 1Xa site 22442/214/x

Note about using Digi's 800 test PRL, I believe he didn't go in and rework the EVDO scans so if you connect to a 800 test site, your phone will scan for EVDO on channels used in Puerto Rico or some state out west. So data may not be usable unless your phone can gleam data from the 1Xa site which is possible.

Thanks for the explanation and help. When in 1x / EVDO (non-LTE) coverage, the iPhone 1x screen only gives the BID which changes as you travel around the site (three different sectors). I'm pretty certain the site that was giving the -68 dbm was a good 5 miles away from me.

And in regards to Digi's PRL, I was using 513 (Premier edition). When I picked up the signal yesterday the phone was stuck on 1x (and speed test showed that as well), however when I left the house this morning I held an EVDO connection to the site that serves my house while still parked on the 1x800 tower with a -99 dBm. I held that same dBm for at least three miles away when I got to church, and then at some point during church they shut the tower off and I bounced back to the standard PCS band I'm normally on in the area and haven't reconnected to 1x 800 since then. Looking forward to when it goes live permanently and whatever the case I'm excited to finally see some progress near my house.

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanation and help. When in 1x / EVDO (non-LTE) coverage, the iPhone 1x screen only gives the BID which changes as you travel around the site (three different sectors). I'm pretty certain the site that was giving the -68 dbm was a good 5 miles away from me. And in regards to Digi's PRL, I was using 513 (Premier edition). When I picked up the signal yesterday the phone was stuck on 1x (and speed test showed that as well), however when I left the house this morning I held an EVDO connection to the site that serves my house while still parked on the 1x800 tower with a -99 dBm. I held that same dBm for at least three miles away when I got to church, and then at some point during church they shut the tower off and I bounced back to the standard PCS band I'm normally on in the area and haven't reconnected to 1x 800 since then. Looking forward to when it goes live permanently and whatever the case I'm excited to finally see some progress near my house.

You do know that your cell will connect to 1X separately from EVDO? So it is possible to be on 1Xa and legacy EVDO (or Sprint voice and Verizon data). The disadvantage is that unless you know the PN numbers for each EVDO physical cell, you have no idea which cell your EVDO is tuned to while your 1X or 1Xa will show a site location (you can assume based on RSSI). There's a flag in the PRL to force pairing or tethering of EVDO with 1X/1Xa. With that flag set your phone will stick with the same cell as your 1X/1Xa for it's EVDO usage, unless for some reason all the EVDO channels get used. At that point I'm not sure if the radios will split up or if the EVDO will drag your 1X/1Xa to another cell. The PRL governs the site preference based on SID/NID if you make it that granular but once data or voice is flowing the tower will override the PRL governance. Similar to an air traffic controller.

Quick question for you expert hunters down in Cbus. They've been testing some 1x800 sites close enough to my house that I was able to pick up two different sites yesterday on my iPhone 5 running one of Digi's PRLs with 1x800 at a higher priority: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390161015.037791.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390161025.286631.jpgSo my question is this, will the Base ID on the 1x800 site match that of the EVDO signal? I ask because there's a cluster of 3G accepted sites just south of me and I was wondering if I could use the base ID info to determine which site's signal I received in my house.

You were connected to 2 different sites in "test mode", most likely not NV accepted yet. The BIDs are not even close to each other in the screenshots; to be the same tower they would be 2 numbers off.

You do know that your cell will connect to 1X separately from EVDO? So it is possible to be on 1Xa and legacy EVDO (or Sprint voice and Verizon data). The disadvantage is that unless you know the PN numbers for each EVDO physical cell, you have no idea which cell your EVDO is tuned to while your 1X or 1Xa will show a site location (you can assume based on RSSI). There's a flag in the PRL to force pairing or tethering of EVDO with 1X/1Xa. With that flag set your phone will stick with the same cell as your 1X/1Xa for it's EVDO usage, unless for some reason all the EVDO channels get used. At that point I'm not sure if the radios will split up or if the EVDO will drag your 1X/1Xa to another cell. The PRL governs the site preference based on SID/NID if you make it that granular but once data or voice is flowing the tower will override the PRL governance. Similar to an air traffic controller.

Yes, I understand that I'll have a separate 1x and EVDO connection, I was just stating that when I first had the 1x800 connection I did not have any EVDO connection (1x icon on the screen as well as no connection in the Field Test Mode (Engineering) screen). However I did have an EVDO connection this morning while maintaining the 1x800. I'm not nearly as familiar with the "granular" details of how a PRL works, but have a fairly good idea. Thanks for the additional explanation. I don't track all of the BID or PN numbers like you guys do, but i have a fairly good recollection of the BIDs for the towers that surround my house which is why I feel the tower that was giving me the -68 dBm 1x800 signal was from the site that is 5 miles from my house.

You were connected to 2 different sites in "test mode", most likely not NV accepted yet. The BIDs are not even close to each other in the screenshots; to be the same tower they would be 2 numbers off.

I understand those were two different sites which is why I said I was able to connect to two different 1x800 sites on my iPhone 5. I assumed they're in testing based on the fact that A: the BID were different and fluctuating, meaning that towers were being turned on and off; B: the huge disparity in signal stregth (-68 dBm on one vs -99 dBm another); C: No 1x800 towers have been reported near me.

You guys are great - I'm not quite sure how such a knowledgable group all managed to end up in Columbus and come together on S4GRU, but I spend a lot of time perusing these forums and I'm pretty sure that CBus has a lock-down on the most advanced collection of experts of any market on S4GRU (outside the Mods of course).

Thanks very much for this series of awesome questions and even better answers.  Now I have a better grasp on what my G2 is reporting for 1x800 when it does not have a BSL.  Maybe I soon can leave my Photon 4g's 1x800.  Of course being mainly an LTE hunter, the bid notion makes sense to me -- but that might be my handicap in this case.  Likely need a bit more hand holding for 1x800 reporting at some point. 

• Like 1

So how do BIDs related to PNs? Might have the answer in my 1x800 and other related hint data, but that will have to wait for later. Meanwhile I may have found a new 1x800.  Posted it here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4742-columbus-market-mapspreadsheet/page-87&do=findComment&comment=269201

I get 74 db. On a regular basis at my house and I live in a house with aluminum siding. But I live in Marion.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

:(, I'm one of those with an airave and hoping that 1X800 will allow me to turn it off.  That or WiFi calling, I'm down with that as well...

• Like 1

Have been getting LTE in my house (Westerville) for a few weeks now. The last couple if days...nothing. Wtf!

99% sure is because they're testing LTE on the newly 3G accepted sites near by and need to verify information without interference from another close by site.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

99% sure is because they're testing LTE on the newly 3G accepted sites near by and need to verify information without interference from another close by site.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I just had brief lte hit on Tusic near westerville central...That's a fussy for me!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Network signal changes in an emerging market are generally good news of new site abilities coming on line, such as 4G.  None in my part of town and we have no new towers. 

I did notice on Sunday that a hidden band 25 LTE tower  to the north had dramatically increased in strength covering almost all of lane avenue from star to 315, overpowering nearby band 41 LTE which was previously dominate.  A check under a bridge showed the band 41 LTE was at the same strength, thus it was proven that the band 25 was stronger or reoriented.

Network signal changes in an emerging market are generally good news of new site abilities coming on line, such as 4G.  None in my part of town and we have no new towers. 

I did notice on Sunday that a hidden band 25 LTE tower  to the north had dramatically increased in strength covering almost all of lane avenue from star to 315, overpowering nearby band 41 LTE which was previously dominate.  A check under a bridge showed the band 41 LTE was at the same strength, thus it was proven that the band 25 was stronger or reoriented.

I've noticed that site also is receivable along Bethel Road from 315 west  up the hill.

• Like 1

Anybody know what region/market  Portsmouth and Lucasville Ohio is in?

Portsmouth is in ours.  I do not know about Lucasville.  Lucasville is in our market as well.  If you were a sponsor you would have access to which towers went live with LTE down in that area...

• Like 1