Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

That's part of the reason why I haven't switched yet to a new Tri-Band device.  My hope is that Samsung will split the radios and allow for voice and data at the same time.  But, hope always dies last.

I'm not sure you're going to see a Tri-Band device that will do voice and data at the same time. Not until Sprint get's on board with VoLTE and that's a long ways down the road.

I have no clue why but phone acting strange again in Rburg known dead zones.  Signal Check Pro chimes for LTE in notorious bad 3g spots like the Kroger parking lot at Main and Taylor.  So I look, it says LTE in the top right, then I open Signal Check and it's completely blank???  I guess what I mean is all 4 categories show nothing.  But this only lasts for about 5 or 10 seconds and then it's gone and back to picking up a tower.  It's been doing this a lot since around 1/2 or 1/3, far east side of rburg by Licking County border.  I tried leaving Sensorly on all day yesterday and it clicked over to this phantom lte several times for a few seconds but Sensoryly never picked up any of the LTE feeds.  Anyone else ever get these phantom lte signals that last a short period?

• Like 1

I have no clue why but phone acting strange again in Rburg known dead zones.  Signal Check Pro chimes for LTE in notorious bad 3g spots like the Kroger parking lot at Main and Taylor.  So I look, it says LTE in the top right, then I open Signal Check and it's completely blank???  I guess what I mean is all 4 categories show nothing.  But this only lasts for about 5 or 10 seconds and then it's gone and back to picking up a tower.  It's been doing this a lot since around 1/2 or 1/3, far east side of rburg by Licking County border.  I tried leaving Sensorly on all day yesterday and it clicked over to this phantom lte several times for a few seconds but Sensoryly never picked up any of the LTE feeds.  Anyone else ever get these phantom lte signals that last a short period?

What phone do you have?  Do you have the latest signal check pro update?  It should show you the most recently connected to LTE site.  I'm wondering if you are somehow connecting to B41 and then being disconnected... Main and Taylor would DEFINITELY be in range for that and would somewhat make sense.  The only other explanation is one of the sites on Main is in testing mode.

I'm not sure you're going to see a Tri-Band device that will do voice and data at the same time. Not until Sprint get's on board with VoLTE and that's a long ways down the road.

Perhaps, but the manufacturer can include different radios for 3G/Voice and another one for LTE, instead of putting every radio band onto a single chip, like they did with the Nexus 5.  

I found a teardown for S4, although it's an ATT version, it still has two different radios/amplifiers for GSM and LTE respectively.  

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S4+Teardown/13947

Hi, that would make sense, I bet it's just the B41.  I have a G2 and have enabled all 3 bands a few weeks ago, but have done nothing else (no rooting or anything).  I'm pretty sure I have the latest signal Check Pro, but it's weird when this lte kicks on everything shows up blank.  Where it normally says 1xRTT or 800, it's blank.  eHRPD, blank, LTE, blank.  Wi-Fi will show if I am connected to one.  I'll try to get a screen shot but have just been excited when it chimes and since it only lasts 5 to 10 seconds I never had time for it.  I'm guessing it's B41 and for some reason the last few days my phone has been trying to grab it.

• Like 2

Hi, that would make sense, I bet it's just the B41.  I have a G2 and have enabled all 3 bands a few weeks ago, but have done nothing else (no rooting or anything).  I'm pretty sure I have the latest signal Check Pro, but it's weird when this lte kicks on everything shows up blank.  Where it normally says 1xRTT or 800, it's blank.  eHRPD, blank, LTE, blank.  Wi-Fi will show if I am connected to one.  I'll try to get a screen shot but have just been excited when it chimes and since it only lasts 5 to 10 seconds I never had time for it.  I'm guessing it's B41 and for some reason the last few days my phone has been trying to grab it.

Okay, that is what I was figuring.  Good news to hear that someone else's G2 is grabbing some B41.  You and Dyeager should talk together about how to help out with the B41 sightings.  He has confirmed a TON by himself.  You would be pretty excited to see the B41 progress in our market.  Maybe you can become a sponsor and you would at least be able to see the sponsor maps.  B41 is premiere level information, but it is a great start.

Feel free to keep posting any questions that you may have.

• Like 1

Okay, that is what I was figuring.  Good news to hear that someone else's G2 is grabbing some B41.  You and Dyeager should talk together about how to help out with the B41 sightings.  He has confirmed a TON by himself.  You would be pretty excited to see the B41 progress in our market.  Maybe you can become a sponsor and you would at least be able to see the sponsor maps.  B41 is premiere level information, but it is a great start.

Ok, great, will do! Thanks!

There's an old Wimax tower right off Taylor.  Unfortunately, it's on a property of some construction company and it's fenced off, so I can't get close to take picture of the base station, but I can snap a picture of the top of the tower, if interested.

Hi, that would make sense, I bet it's just the B41.  I have a G2 and have enabled all 3 bands a few weeks ago, but have done nothing else (no rooting or anything).  I'm pretty sure I have the latest signal Check Pro, but it's weird when this lte kicks on everything shows up blank. 

:tu: Your timing is perfect.  Get the SignalCheck Pro version for $1.98.  This should give you version 4.22 which does work correctly with band 41 TD-LTE for the first time (no blank screen).  The GCI of all band 41 sites in Columbus seems to start with "0F".  Your seeing Band 41 now tells me they are working in your area which confirms my suspicion about one problem site when I mapped many sites there yesterday.

:) No rooting required for the G2 to see all of the Band 41 sites. Become premium and follow the link in my signature for a detailed "how to".  Best to do this before band 25 arrives (kryptonite to the g2 hunting band 41).  Note that it may take a few days for the premium map to show the latest sites in Reynoldsburg.

• Like 1

There's an old Wimax tower right off Taylor.  Unfortunately, it's on a property of some construction company and it's fenced off, so I can't get close to take picture of the base station, but I can snap a picture of the top of the tower, if interested.

Typically, the more pictures the merrier.  However, for B41 it is a software only upgrade so we won't see any difference between original and NV upgraded sites.

Thanks for the thought.

Typically, the more pictures the merrier.  However, for B41 it is a software only upgrade so we won't see any difference between original and NV upgraded sites.

Thanks for the thought.

So, the difference between WiMax signal and the LTE B41 is all in the software?  Not hardware was replaced?

WOAH!  And thank you everyone!  This is crazy and you got me wanting to play around with the hidden menu so I have been.  LOL, I just hope this keeps up and I will have an interesting drive home!  I'm in my work building in Gahanna,where I never get anything inside, no 3g, hardly any phone.  Forced the G2 to LTE only and knocked off band 26, signal check pro will not list the tower/location, but it definitely says Sprint.  Anyway, inside the building I just got a 14.63 up and 8.69 down!  This is just crazy how they do not just set the phones up this way in the first place and make you do all this digging, but oh well, I'm happy now.  I'll see what else I can pick up this evening.  Oh and yes, I'm on signal check 4.22.

• Like 2

Perhaps, but the manufacturer can include different radios for 3G/Voice and another one for LTE, instead of putting every radio band onto a single chip, like they did with the Nexus 5.  

I found a teardown for S4, although it's an ATT version, it still has two different radios/amplifiers for GSM and LTE respectively.  

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S4+Teardown/13947

I would reference the FCC docs on the exact device to determine if it indeed has two separate transmission paths.

WOAH!  And thank you everyone!  This is crazy and you got me wanting to play around with the hidden menu so I have been.  LOL, I just hope this keeps up and I will have an interesting drive home!  I'm in my work building in Gahanna,where I never get anything inside, no 3g, hardly any phone.  Forced the G2 to LTE only and knocked off band 26, signal check pro will not list the tower/location, but it definitely says Sprint.  Anyway, inside the building I just got a 14.63 up and 8.69 down!  This is just crazy how they do not just set the phones up this way in the first place and make you do all this digging, but oh well, I'm happy now.  I'll see what else I can pick up this evening.  Oh and yes, I'm on signal check 4.22.

Did you mean band 25? or 26? because if your talking about 26, that would be pretty awesome!

Did you mean band 25? or 26? because if your talking about 26, that would be pretty awesome!

Oh, sorry, i was spazzing out there, plus I just got a 23 up inside the building.  Anyway, let me calm down, lol.  I disabled band 26.  I forgot to check what band I am on so will do that now (I think I remember how to find that).  I set priority of 25 to 0 and 41 to 1.  Then went into the hidden menu and put the force on my phone to only receive LTE.  I see some issues with what I did, but I am getting very decent LTE inside a building in Gahanna close to Blacklick so to me it's worth any issues that might pop up.  Not sure if the phone or texting will even work, lol, but will try those now.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks for breaking it down.  I'm looking at the Clearwire map to see what kind of coverage to expect with the B41.  

http://www.clear.com/coverage

But we have seen pictures of crews replacing the older wimax equipment for dual tech equipment.  So it's a mixed bag of what's out there. 

• Like 1

Oh, sorry, i was spazzing out there, plus I just got a 23 up inside the building.  Anyway, let me calm down, lol.  I disabled band 26.  I forgot to check what band I am on so will do that now (I think I remember how to find that).  I set priority of 25 to 0 and 41 to 1.  Then went into the hidden menu and put the force on my phone to only receive LTE.  I see some issues with what I did, but I am getting very decent LTE inside a building in Gahanna close to Blacklick so to me it's worth any issues that might pop up.  Not sure if the phone or texting will even work, lol, but will try those now.

Yea, that is the main reason why it is NOT setup this way to begin with.  In LTE only mode, I do not believe you will receive any phone calls or text messages... However, with sms tunneling thru SMS is it possible to receive those?

Yea, that is the main reason why it is NOT setup this way to begin with.  In LTE only mode, I do not believe you will receive any phone calls or text messages... However, with sms tunneling thru SMS is it possible to receive those?

Not only do they work, but if you have any sort of decent signal, they will transmit extremely fast.

In LTE only mode, I do not believe you will receive any phone calls or text messages...

It depends on what part of town.  Phones calls now go through with a G2 in its special mode in much of the west, not so yesterday in the very east.  Otherwise callers sent straight to voice mail, which may take a while to notify you.  G2 settings easily reversible if needed..

• Like 1

Um, I'm being a n00b again, how do I tell what band I am on with a G2?

SCP GCI starts with "00F" in Columbus is band 41 TD-LTE, or dial ##DEBUG# then LTE engineering.

[edited to correct typo, 0F should be 00F ]

• Like 1

SCP GCI starts with "0F" in Columbus is band 41 TD-LTE, or dial ##DEBUG# then LTE engineering.

Ok, cool, thank you.  It's definitely 41 at the Gahanna/New Albany/Blacklick cluster but it sounds like you already had that, lol.

And yes, texts definitely are stuck, at least inside a building but will try more later.  Also gps just stays searching and will not work but that might be from being inside as well.  I'll find out more in a few hours.