Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

They were at the (not sure if I should say) site again so I decided to go over and talk to the guys. The guy I talked to was real nice and said he's been doing this stuff for 20 years. Here are a few points he made:

"It's going to be a rough 6 Months around here."

They are turning sites on in clusters because you'll get hard drops if you go from Motorola to the new Samsung hardware.

Lancaster is scheduled to turn on 7 sites September 9 but the other guy said there was a possible problem in that cluster.

Pickerington is getting worked on hard now as most of you know.

Backhaul is taking a while but some small towns are better prepared than you'd think.

He said the way the old wimax works if one tower has fiber it can feed many other towers and he was getting 100 mb somewhere the other day but they turn them down before going live.

Some of this may be old news.

Good stuff to know!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Picked up 800 on Lithopolis Rd on the way home from groveport. Even on my s2 wish I could prioritize it with all these dropped calls

That's new today. It was not broadcasting 800 the other day when I drove all around it. Let's call it a straggler. 

With all the 800 turned on in southeast Columbus & N/W Fairfield County, you should have 800 in the boxed areas on this map. It's pretty close to that from my experience. I didn't draw anything from West Jeff because I don't usually go around the southwest side. I did pick up West Jeff when I was on 104 @ Parsons once.

800cov.JPG

To clarify, the backhaul can run at 100Mbps+, but Sprint LTE 1900 cannot.  It is limited to 37.5Mbps download speed.  The airlink cannot support more than that.  A three sector site needs 100Mbps throughput in order to run three sectors running at their maximum speed.

Robert

Is it possible that he was talking about TD-LTE 2600?  Wondering if the rumors I have heard have any traction, just hearsay at this point...

Is it possible that he was talking about TD-LTE 2600?  Wondering if the rumors I have heard have any traction, just hearsay at this point...

We have no confirmed TD-LTE 2600 work on Network Vision sites anywhere yet.  If our source is correct, it won't start on NV sites until the end of the year.  Currently, TD-LTE 2600 is being deployed only on Clearwire WiMax sites.

Robert

He said the way the old wimax works if one tower has fiber it can feed many other towers and he was getting 100 mb somewhere the other day but they turn them down before going live.

To add one more thing to this. He was referring to feeding another tower by microwave. In Columbus, technically one site isn't feeding another site. When microwave backhaul is being sent from one site to another, it has it's own dedicated fiber Ethernet line and is not shared (daisy-chained) with the site isn't coming from.

We have no confirmed TD-LTE 2600 work on Network Vision sites anywhere yet.  If our source is correct, it won't start on NV sites until the end of the year.  Currently, TD-LTE 2600 is being deployed only on Clearwire WiMax sites.

Robert

Columbus does have a crap load of Clearwire WiMax sites, a lot co-located with Sprint, so it's possible we may be moving on those but I doubt that's what we was referring to.

it has it's own dedicated fiber Ethernet line and is not shared (daisy-chained) with the site isn't coming from.

It often is a shared fiber connection at the source site.  But if it is running 1Gbps+, sharing isn't much of a problem.  :)

Robert

Columbus does have a crap load of Clearwire WiMax sites, a lot co-located with Sprint, so it's possible we may be moving on those but I doubt that's what we was referring to.

It would still have to be a Clearwire contractor working on the Clearwire equipment.  Not a Network Vision subcontractor at this point.

Robert

It would still have to be a Clearwire contractor working on the Clearwire equipment.  Not a Network Vision subcontractor at this point.

Robert

I should have been more clear.  I was talking about Clearwire equipment.  I see your point being that it would be a different subcontractor.  However, it is possible that a contractor received a contract for a couple of NV sites and a couple of WiMax sites, no?

Any information as to TD-LTE upgrades on existing Clearwire equipment?  I am curious as to what timeline we should expect for that.

Robert

Agreed.

The last part of my post was not very accurate and not meant to confuse.  We were just kind of talking at that point and he was talking about 800 vs. 1900 and I brought up 2500 mhz.  That's when he started talking about getting 100 mb speeds and that was before tuning and adjusting.  I'm not exactly sure what he was talking about.  But what was very clear was that the next 6 months will be less than enjoyable... that they are turning sites on in clusters (maybe you already knew that)... and that Lancaster was almost ready to turn on 7 sites (not sure if they will have LTE - he didn't say).  

He said if you see the old cabinets and new cabinets both under a tower then it's probably still on the old stuff.  Once the Samsung cabinets are turned on they come and take away the old cabinets pretty soon.

Also - it takes a guy about 20 minutes to climb a tower... they rest half way up.  :-)

• Like 3

I think after I get back from Dallas next week, if I run into a crew, I'm going to ask if I can buy them a round or two of beers if I can ask them a few questions about how things are being done. Not necessarily time tables, but how things are being done.

• Like 2

I just realized why SCP has been chiming. It looks like Westerville has 800 online. This probably happened a week or more ago. There must be a bug because it was sounding the LTE chime all this time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

post-18538-13782446892739_thumb.jpg

I just realized why SCP has been chiming. It looks like Westerville has 800 online. This probably happened a week or more ago. There must be a bug because it was sounding the LTE chime all this time.

Looks like you may have attached the wrong screenshot as that one doesn't show 1x800.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

I think after I get back from Dallas next week, if I run into a crew, I'm going to ask if I can buy them a round or two of beers if I can ask them a few questions about how things are being done. Not necessarily time tables, but how things are being done.

I offered Red Bulls but it was proprietary go figure

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Looks like you may have attached the wrong screenshot as that one doesn't show 1x800.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

No, I just posted before realizing I was wrong. Sorry about that. But the eHRPD is progress at least. It alao seems to be causing the false alarms at any rate. I also saw the same in Coshocton today. They'll probably have 4G before here...

I offered Red Bulls but it was proprietary go figure

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Hahahaha!

No, I just posted before realizing I was wrong. Sorry about that. But the eHRPD is progress at least. It alao seems to be causing the false alarms at any rate. I also saw the same in Coshocton today. They'll probably have 4G before here...

You shouldn't receive false alarms. You may be picking up 800 from another site or your phone may even be receiving LTE and then quickly dropping.

You shouldn't receive false alarms. You may be picking up 800 from another site or your phone may even be receiving LTE and then quickly dropping.

Damn, I just got really excited.  Almost to the point to make an appt. at the office this week.  Otherwise, I avoid that place like the plague, :D.

Well its probably a trace signal then. Sorry at first I thought eHRPD meant 800 but I haven't seen that anywhere. In Coshocton the LTE alert I got was about 500 feet from the tower, but I got no connection. I see some purple on sensorly in dover/ new Philadelphia area, but that's pretty far. Maybe an unmapped tower out that way somewhere.

OK, just an update on the Dresden tower. I got a little more information today.

How were the speeds?  That tower probably only has a max of like three people on it at once.  I would imagine the data would just FLY!

Thanks for taking a look.  You didn't by chance take a look at the other 4G tower just south of there, did you?  We still do not have confirmation that it in fact is LTE enabled yet.

How were the speeds? That tower probably only has a max of like three people on it at once. I would imagine the data would just FLY!

Thanks for taking a look. You didn't by chance take a look at the other 4G tower just south of there, did you? We still do not have confirmation that it in fact is LTE enabled yet.

I forgot to do a speed test, sorry about that. I don't think the other tower is enabled for LTE, because when I visit McDonalds, I am right in line of sight to that tower but I get no LTE. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

I forgot to do a speed test, sorry about that. I don't think the other tower is enabled for LTE, because when I visit McDonalds, I am right in line of sight to that tower but I get no LTE. I could be wrong though.

You are probably right, the tower north of Fredericktown has been 4G accepted since 8/2013 and still not a lick of 4G from the tower.  If you are out that way, I'd bet most of the sites in and around Zanesville are low hanging fruit.  It doesn't seem like there are too many people that check that area.  From what we've heard, it is going to start from the outside moving in.  You may be surprised with the progress on some of the towers already.  I was at an event on Saturday in Zanesville and had surprisingly usable Sprint service.

• Like 1

That's new today. It was not broadcasting 800 the other day when I drove all around it. Let's call it a straggler. 

With all the 800 turned on in southeast Columbus & N/W Fairfield County, you should have 800 in the boxed areas on this map. It's pretty close to that from my experience. I didn't draw anything from West Jeff because I don't usually go around the southwest side. I did pick up West Jeff when I was on 104 @ Parsons once.

I was in Canal yesterday for the Labor day festival, I wasn't picking up any 800 at all, was kind of disappointed.