Network Vision/LTE - Nashville Market (including Knoxville/Chattanooga/Tri-Cities)

telefunken

LTE came up in the Lenoir City area 7/19ish. It had been extra crappy 3G signal for a few days, but then I noticed the U770 in my tower had just switched over to LTE. I still have all my antennas on the 3G input side, so right now, the signal level is still pretty dang low...RSRP of -115 (1 bar). Aided 3G RSSI is about -80ish.

I think the quality of 3G/eHRPD has dropped since LTE came online. I suspect they monkied with the positioning of the antennas or something because the signal level is lower than it was before. However, I am impressed with the LTE coverage. I'm 5 miles from the tower I'm pointed at, and I've got two ridges between it and me that I cannot see over even from the top of my tower. The fact that I can still get 2.5mbps with no help whatsoever is significant because I wasn't even able to pull 1X with the same configuration in times past.

I hope to climb my tower in the next few days and swap my antennas over to the LTE side of the USB modem. Perhaps the speed will go up. :)

• Like 1

Well, I suspect they took LTE offline. I haven't been able to pull an LTE signal since Sunday morning. I swapped the antennas over this evening - just a strong (and slow) 3G connection. I was able to pull 4mbps for a period on Sunday with 1 bar of LTE. I've got full bars of 3G today.

I see 3 towers are up on 40 west of the 40/75 split, and one on middlebrook, time to do some mapping once they come online.

Crossville and Rockwood should have LTE up and running

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I see 3 towers are up on 40 west of the 40/75 split, and one on middlebrook, time to do some mapping once they come online.

Now if we can get some LTE infill in north and west Knoxville all will be good.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I am happy about the lte that I have but have gotten more and more frustrated with the 3g/4g switchover.

With what seems like a 50/50 split of the towers with 3g vs 4g I am constantly searching for a signal. I typically have to go into airplane mode then out of it to pick up one signal.

Is this change to 4g something that 100% completion will be in 5 years or the foreseeable future? Its getting old real quick.

• Like 1

"

I am happy about the lte that I have but have gotten more and more frustrated with the 3g/4g switchover. 

With what seems like a 50/50 split of the towers with 3g vs 4g I am constantly searching for a signal. I typically have to go into airplane mode then out of it to pick up one signal. 

Is this change to 4g something that 100% completion will be in 5 years or the foreseeable future? Its getting old real quick. 

Couldn't agree more. Because of the glacial pace of the NV roll-out here in Knoxville, I have almost lost all interest in LTE because of the issues you just stated....knowing that for the next year at the very least, we are gonna have to deal with these issues that are only going to get worse before they get better.

Just to be quite honest, I couldn't care less about LTE if only we could get the 2-3 mb download from 3g that we should be getting. I hate to be so negative, but in 2 years time 3g has gone to hell in a hand basket and I have been patient but that is wearing extremely thin at this point.

In essence, I feel as though I am being ripped off as I am paying for nothing better than a 1g network most of the time. I have an intense hatred of both Verizon and AT&T but I am indeed at the point of going back to one of them.

I have to disagree with the snails pace that is being discussed.  With the acceptance reports that Robert is adding, the Nashville Market, not just Knoxville itself, is one of the fastest movers in the US on average.  We have to remember that The Nashville Market goes from the state line with NC, includes a small part of VA, then heads west to the TN River.  I am not sure how many towers that incorporates but I ponder a guess of 500 to 600.  Even with the coverage that is shown in Nashville on the maps, LTE, 3G and voice are still spotty in areas but is getting better.

As Robert has stated on many occasions, the crews go to where the work is.  There is not rhyme nor reason on the pattern of which towers are completed next.  There are variables with permits, access to the property on which the tower is located, where NV equipment is delivered, etc... that can hold up the change.  The crews are not going to wait in one area when it is available and ready to be installed in another.  They need to make their money too.

Just remember, once the conversion is complete, Sprint, in my opinion, will have the better network.  Granted, it may be longer that we would like it to be.  I will not change to the others for the same hatred due to all of the data I use in a month for emails. I would burn through the others 2GB data plans in about 3 days on average.

I have to disagree with the snails pace that is being discussed. With the acceptance reports that Robert is adding, the Nashville Market, not just Knoxville itself, is one of the fastest movers in the US on average. We have to remember that The Nashville Market goes from the state line with NC, includes a small part of VA, then heads west to the TN River. I am not sure how many towers that incorporates but I ponder a guess of 500 to 600. Even with the coverage that is shown in Nashville on the maps, LTE, 3G and voice are still spotty in areas but is getting better.

As Robert has stated on many occasions, the crews go to where the work is. There is not rhyme nor reason on the pattern of which towers are completed next. There are variables with permits, access to the property on which the tower is located, where NV equipment is delivered, etc... that can hold up the change. The crews are not going to wait in one area when it is available and ready to be installed in another. They need to make their money too.

Just remember, once the conversion is complete, Sprint, in my opinion, will have the better network. Granted, it may be longer that we would like it to be. I will not change to the others for the same hatred due to all of the data I use in a month for emails. I would burn through the others 2GB data plans in about 3 days on average.

I'm speaking of Knoxville only, actually Chattanooga too.....I know that the immediate Nashville area is covered fairly well, as good as any other city in the nation at this point. Trust me...the immediate Knoxville area (even though it is technically in the Nashville market) is in fact rolling out at slower than a snails pace and has the least LTE online percentage (of total towers) than any other metro in the state. LTE deployment is completed or near completion in the Tri Cities, Cleveland, and Morristown metros. Nashville, Memphis, Clarksville and Jackson metros are well over half LTE deployed but Knoxville and Chattanooga metros have all but stalled out with little to no acceptances in weeks.

I do agree with you...Sprint will have the best network in the nation at the end of NV but with the issues of the growing pains intensifying daily I'm not sure it is worth riding it out til 2015. I understand it is an enormous complicated process from beginning to end and I'm not laying blame at Sprint, but partially on Ericsson and partially on back-haul providers. In the end it is just terribly frustrating to not be able to use a $700 phone without being in the area of wifi and at this moment and for the past couple of years, this is the case for the vast part of the Knoxville area. 

Pyroscott -

Do you like the Nexus better than the Et4g?

I played with the Nexus and I dont think Id like it as much as my Et4g.

(although I love ics on my prime)

I'm like so in love with my Et4g !

That is saying something too!

I get bored quick with cell phones!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Well said. Here in Athens there are at least 4 towers. Guess which (1) tower they upgraded? The one closest to the interstate about a month ago. Nothing has been touched since. But I will be grateful when they are all complete. I at least have LTE at work now and I can actually go all day with the stock battery in my S3.

I have to disagree with the snails pace that is being discussed. With the acceptance reports that Robert is adding, the Nashville Market, not just Knoxville itself, is one of the fastest movers in the US on average. We have to remember that The Nashville Market goes from the state line with NC, includes a small part of VA, then heads west to the TN River. I am not sure how many towers that incorporates but I ponder a guess of 500 to 600. Even with the coverage that is shown in Nashville on the maps, LTE, 3G and voice are still spotty in areas but is getting better.

As Robert has stated on many occasions, the crews go to where the work is. There is not rhyme nor reason on the pattern of which towers are completed next. There are variables with permits, access to the property on which the tower is located, where NV equipment is delivered, etc... that can hold up the change. The crews are not going to wait in one area when it is available and ready to be installed in another. They need to make their money too.

Just remember, once the conversion is complete, Sprint, in my opinion, will have the better network. Granted, it may be longer that we would like it to be. I will not change to the others for the same hatred due to all of the data I use in a month for emails. I would burn through the others 2GB data plans in about 3 days on average.

Disagree if you want. I am constantly searching going between 3 and 4g. When it does this and I end up in 3g area it looks like this speedtest I uploaded. 9 kB down and 41 up with an extreme 450 ms ping.

I know there are a lot of towers to change out. Is there a reason that all of one area couldn't be readied before swapping out? I can't drive more than 5 miles any direction from or in Nashville or murfreesboro without it changing.

post-4675-13749254792737_thumb.jpg

$700 phone?

Sprint, but partially on Ericsson and partially on back-haul providers. In the end it is just terribly frustrating to not be able to use a $700 phone without being in the area of wifi and at this moment and for the past couple of years, this is the case for the vast part of the Knoxville area. 

Yeah Ive not ben very impressed with the rollout. I remember last September Sevierville was on the list for the coming months now here we are almost a year later with very spotty 4g. I just thought with them so far behind the other 2 they would be really pushing the rollout but hey att I get no signal at my house and Verizon is so damn expensive so im not leaving anytime soon.

That being said I know the scope of the rollout and how hard and difficult it can be. I just don't want to be in 2015-16 and still be sup par to other carriers and I bought stock in sprint with the hope they will complete the rollout as soon as possible and have a viable strong network. keeping fingers crossed

I've seen more 4G recently in the 37931 area. I didn't have my charger on me so I only mapped one area (I think it only got a spot!) on Ball Camp Pike! However it wasn't there last week!

Edited by nocturnal

I've seen more 4G recently in the 37931 area. I didn't have my charger on me so I only mapped one area (I think it only got a spot!) on Ball Camp Pike! However it wasn't there last week!

That is my area you are mapping, go somewhere else  <_< .

Just took a trip down to Knoxville and I'm rather surprised the LTE coverage still isn't all that great.  Seems like it spread like wildfire in the Tri-cities area and down I-81.  Wonder if they're running into some kind of snags getting them online.

Just took a trip down to Knoxville and I'm rather surprised the LTE coverage still isn't all that great. Seems like it spread like wildfire in the Tri-cities area and down I-81. Wonder if they're running into some kind of snags getting them online.

There just hasn't been much upgrading going on in Eastern Tn especially in the last month. Maybe middle Tn is getting more attention again.

I live in Maryville, and for the first time, I have 4G at my home. Even indoors. Now I'm at my in-laws house and I am now getting a great 4G signal. This all has happened since yesterday or today I guess. Pretty cool.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Looks like a tower was accepted along I75 Between Loudon and Sweetwater. Someone needs to map it if it hasn't been already. See a lot of 3G acceptance Norteast of Knoxville