Network Vision/LTE - Utah Market (Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo/St. George/Cedar City)

Rafaelcab

Be careful because often reps will tell you to buy a new phone because they want you to, rather than you actually need one.  Generally new phones don't fix reception issues, there are some exceptions though.

Where are you located?

agree 100% with this, i over heard a rep totally hustling someone saying 3g is awesome and great until LTE comes.

i LOL'd. my 3G works only in SLC... everywhere else its doesnt load! i just wish they wouldnt lie to make a sale.

I'm located in South Jordan. All of my neighbors who have Sprint have talked about how bad the service is. One funny thing about my neighborhood is that on the Sprint coverage map it shows my neighborhood drop from good to fair coverage. Weird. I was planning on going to Verizon but I'm on a family plan. I know that Sprint people will try to sell you on the service. What I've seen from other users in other states with 4G gives me hope. 

I know that my phone specifically is bad because I've read other stuff about how poor the reception and signal are. I have a family member on the same Sprint family plan with an iPhone and their phone was much better with the signal. 

I also have an Airave in my house. I was considering trying an iPhone when I have an upgrade to see how well it does and if its not a big improvement, then switch to Verizon. 

I want a good phone and good service so the 2 year contract don't seem like an eternity.

I'm located in South Jordan. All of my neighbors who have Sprint have talked about how bad the service is. One funny thing about my neighborhood is that on the Sprint coverage map it shows my neighborhood drop from good to fair coverage. Weird. I was planning on going to Verizon but I'm on a family plan. I know that Sprint people will try to sell you on the service. What I've seen from other users in other states with 4G gives me hope. 

I know that my phone specifically is bad because I've read other stuff about how poor the reception and signal are. I have a family member on the same Sprint family plan with an iPhone and their phone was much better with the signal. 

I also have an Airave in my house. I was considering trying an iPhone when I have an upgrade to see how well it does and if its not a big improvement, then switch to Verizon. 

I want a good phone and good service so the 2 year contract don't seem like an eternity.

So 4g won't be giving you better service as far as your signal.  The improvement that will help you that sprint is doing is they shut down their IDEN network and they are deploying a 800 frequency both voice and LTE.  With the 800 frequency being deployed you should see better signal overall but we are still waiting for that to be deployed.  There are some areas in utah that has it but not South Jordan.  Also something to consider is that to my knowledge I don't think the GS2 gets 800 frequency for voice.  I might be wrong though.  I know if you get the iPhone 5s when sprint deploys the 800 frequency it will pick up the 800 LTE frequency and 800 voice so the 5s would be a decent phone to improve your signal quality.  Thats just some info for ya/my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Ivanders, thanks a ton for the insight.I honestly don't care what Sprint does to improve the service, I just want better service. The S GS2 honestly just sucks. The signal will drop quite often for no reason. I actually complained to the FCC about my issues.

I'll stay with Spring if it gets better and I think it will. I'm just playing the patience game right now.

the only reason i would get an S2 is because it supports WiMAX. iphone 5S wouldnt be a bad idea, only down side on it (hence why i didnt buy one) is that it wont support sprint's TD-LTE. other then that... great choice in device :tu:

Edited by illest_ios

What other phones are great on Sprint and is Sprint making moves to improve their network in the future? WiMax was a gamble that didn't work out for them. 

As my description says I have used most devices on all the carriers.  Sprints best devices are the GSIII, GS4, HTC One, moto x, and the iphone.  They should be getting the LG G2, and the nexus 5 in the next month or so.

As for your expierence.  As far as i'm concerned. If I have to use a femtocell at my home, then I have the wrong carrier, even if it's ATT or verizon.  End of story.  It's one thing to show up at a friends house for the evening and have crappy signal.  All carriers have that. But when you struggle in your own home, that's where I have an issue. 

Other observations:

the 3 other carriers already have LTE in south Jordan. 

I would not touch a non triband Sprint phone.  Especially if I were to sign a 2 year contract.  The iphone is not triband.

Just found this. It appears that the iPhone could get an update for the TD-LTE band. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-and-china-mobiles-25-ghz-td-lte-left-out-apples-new-iphones/2013-09-10

Do not hold your breath on this.  I've seen similar things that never materialized.

• Like 1

Just found this. It appears that the iPhone could get an update for the TD-LTE band. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-and-china-mobiles-25-ghz-td-lte-left-out-apples-new-iphones/2013-09-10

that was a slap in the face when i read about that... i agree 100%, if your up for an upgrade i would go with either the G2 or the nexus 5, (i know doesnt sound great if you wanted an iphone) but me personally, i might wait until the next iphone just because of tri band support, unless they make a 5S with support for band 41 in the future... which would be pretty freakin sweat <_<

• Like 1

So band 41 on 2.5 GHz is the best band to have and the iPhone may not be the best phone for Sprint in the future? The HTC one and Moto X seem nice. 

You guys are using terms I've never heard of and I'm having fun looking them up. I've learned more about Sprint and its service in the last day I've been on this forum than from ever going into the Sprint store. 

• Like 1

im actually considering trading my iphone 5 back to sprint and buying a full price nexus 5 just for band 41 support.these damn phones really retain value compared to some of the other phones ive had...

You should be able to get ~350-400 dollars for it from KSL (depending on condition/storage).  That should cover the cost of a nexus 5 and then some (assuming it's priced like the nexus 4 was)

• Like 1

im actually considering trading my iphone 5 back to sprint and buying a full price nexus 5 just for band 41 support.these damn phones really retain value compared to some of the other phones ive had...

I have two iPhone 4S that will sell over seas for 250

You should be able to get ~350-400 dollars for it from KSL (depending on condition/storage).  That should cover the cost of a nexus 5 and then some (assuming it's priced like the nexus 4 was)

definitely sell it on your own instead of trading back to sprint. i use ksl and ebay daily and both could be good options. 

• Like 1

had my iphone in a case and shield front and back since day 1! still looks brand new, besides 2 small scratchs on the side...

So band 41 on 2.5 GHz is the best band to have and the iPhone may not be the best phone for Sprint in the future? The HTC one and Moto X seem nice. 

You guys are using terms I've never heard of and I'm having fun looking them up. I've learned more about Sprint and its service in the last day I've been on this forum than from ever going into the Sprint store. 

LOL i didint know half of this 6 months ago... this is a great forum for cell phone info and network vision info as well. if you upgrade to sponsor you would be able to see more in the sposor forums for utah! would help the S4GRU who made all possibly to keep everything running and to give us peeps info :tu:

Edited by illest_ios

It is not the best band but having a phone the gets both bands makes the more coverage of LTE this first year while sprint is building out there network