Severe Signal Interference

gopher_otis

I think something may be jamming the Sprint signal at the apartment complex I live in. I have hardly ever been able to use data there. I just noticed that when I step ten feet away from the building, my signal jumps into the -70's, but when I get closer, the signal stays about -95. These measurements are for voice, I know, but I can actually use data as long as I stay away from the building. Does anyone have and ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do to make it stop? Thanks in advance.

Sent via Forum Runner on my redsn0w iOS 5.1 iPhone 4 

Edited by gopher_otis

Interference does not cause a decrease in RF signal strength. If a device measures just the intended signal, then interference causes no change in signal strength. On the other hand, if a device measures all of the RF in the particular channel, then interference causes an increase in field strength.

So, you seem to be experiencing severe RF fading, not interference.

AJ

I use to live in a complex that was dead center of an "excellent" sprint signal area and less than a mile from a tower .... outside it was in the -80's, inside it was only usable next to the windows. I never could explain it, considering restaurants and buildings all around me got a signal fine while indoors.

I use to live in a complex that was dead center of an "excellent" sprint signal area and less than a mile from a tower .... outside it was in the -80's, inside it was only usable next to the windows. I never could explain it, considering restaurants and buildings all around me got a signal fine while indoors.

A building of sufficient metallic construction can function much like a Faraday cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

AJ

Apartments are tough on Sprint's signal with all the obstructions.

I live on the second floor above most surrounding trees and buildings so I'm not sure what you mean by obstructions.

Fireproofing in apartments can cause lower signal strength.

While taking a look in the attic' date=' I didn't see any special type of fireproofing which is kind of funny because the landlord is a firefighter.

There are two Sprint towers equally distant from where I live. Maybe my phone is constantly toggling between both of them?

A building of sufficient metallic construction can function much like a Faraday cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

AJ

It's an older building with the exterior walls on the first floor being brick, the second floor and roof trusses being regular wooden ballon frame construction. While looking in the attic, I did notice that all the electrical wires have been run through metal tubing, which crisscrosses in every direction up there. Maybe these could be the Faraday cage?

 Sent via Forum Runner on my redsn0w iOS 5.1 iPhone 4 

Apartments are built to commercial standards unlike homes. You have lots of metal conduit, water pipes, maybe a fire sprinkler system, thick fire walls between adjoining units,foil lined insulation, etc. I am no expert but apartments have always been a source of problem calls we get.

Homes with pretty metal roofs or radiant barriers are also becoming an issue.

How about getting a free Airave?

How about getting a free Airave?

I don't have a home ISP.

Forgot to mention... my apartment was also full of fluorescent commercial style lighting... always seemed like the closer you were to them' date=' the worse the chances you got a signal[/quote']

I know there are two 4' fluorescent lights in every kitchen in the complex.

Do coated Low-E windows affect reception?

From what I read here I wouldn't be surprised if they did dampen the signal. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_emissivity

 Sent via Forum Runner on my redsn0w iOS 5.1 iPhone 4 

I work in construction management and LO-e glass (and worse is LO-e Squared glass) are horrible for RF transferrence. However, these are only used in high end commercial buildings and estate homes.

Here in New Mexico, we have a lot of adobe homes. Adobe homes are RF absorbing clay brick that's covered in "chicken wire" under a stucco base coat and finish coat. If the clay and Portland cement weren't enough, then the Faraday cages created by the lath wire does it in. I have been in adobes 500' from a tower and get no signal indoors.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Here in New Mexico, we have a lot of adobe homes. Adobe homes are RF absorbing clay brick that's covered in "chicken wire" under a stucco base coat and finish coat. If the clay and Portland cement weren't enough, then the Faraday cages created by the lath wire does it in. I have been in adobes 500' from a tower and get no signal indoors.

The in car coverage in New Mexico is just as bad.

AJ