Wi-Fi in 2022-2027

dkyeager

5.9GHz finally approved by a court: https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/court-upholds-fccs-decision-59-ghz.  This should be added to 5GHz wi-fi.  considering wi-fi 7 will be included in the qualcomm x70 and related SOCs, doubtful they will be able to add this now, unless designed to be added later.  5.9GHz will given us a third 160MHz unique carrier iirc, a major improvement.

• Like 1

Wonder what other spectrum the auto industry can use, how much of the 5.9GHz was being used, and if 30MHz will be enough 20 or 30 years from now.

The auto industry has had it for 20 years sure, but technology can move really slow.  It isn't good.  It isn't ready for real world applications. The hardware is too slow to be able to process enough reliable data. It is too expensive.  Etc.

I would argue that we are just getting to the point where features that I would assume could use 5.9GHz are just now hitting mass market as the code is better, hardware is not only significantly faster but also cheaper.

The baseline trim models still lack a lot of safety features but the next trim up usually comes with a bunch of goodies I'd assume could make use of 5.9GHz. Just imagine where we were in 2005, 2010, 2015. 

Mostly just assumptions without enough knowledge of the spectrum use, so a hint of skepticism.

With the what, 1.2GHz that opened up in the 6GHz range, getting 45MHz out of 5.9GHz is very meh.