T-Mobile TV

OhioCalling

T-Mobile is working on a new “T-Vision” device that appears to be running on Android TV

Hope they complete the combining and deployment of the Sprint and T-Mobile wireless networks first.

https://9to5google.com/2020/07/17/t-mobile-android-tv-fcc-leak/

Another story here

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/fcc-listing-suggest-t-mobile-has-android-tv-device-in-the-works/?fbclid=IwAR2Y24wKxdsDgApMwz-HDaKg6bldixAfDVyZcoq8q4_UB390paJ2Dip_D0E

A company can do more than one thing at once.

T-Mobile acquired Layer3 TV awhile back and rebranded it to T-Vision. The existing set top boxes are high-end, full-blown IPTV boxes, rather than the smaller Apple TV style devices you're starting to see from e.g. AT&T. Sounds like they want to drop the expense of those boxes before going for a wider release.

Right now, this system is a side project that appears to be working well for its existing subscriber base, though said subscriber base is geographically limited. As T-Mobile gets their fixed wireless on 5G set up, TV comes more into play to compete with other companies bundling TV and wireline internet. So it doesn't particularly make sense for them to hold off on one while they're doing the other. It's not like they're buying the TV boxes from Ericsson and Nokia, dropping the amount of capacity available for building cell sites.

I don't find it to be a particularly compelling product if you still have to use your own internet connection. They'd have a chance to really make a competitive product if they used something like LTE Broadcast, or eMBMS over 5G, so it didn't have to rely on another internet connection. I hope to see something like that with their relaunch. 

Both Good Points that I dii not consider. I think I am just looking for improved wireless service in my area after all the incomplete promises in the past. I do believe it will be much better in the future.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, Thomas L. said:

I don't find it to be a particularly compelling product if you still have to use your own internet connection. They'd have a chance to really make a competitive product if they used something like LTE Broadcast, or eMBMS over 5G, so it didn't have to rely on another internet connection. I hope to see something like that with their relaunch. 

Broadcast linear TV is dead though, whether OTA or over cable. People largely want to watch what they watch when they want. Hence "cloud DVR" systems, among other things. Running broadcast has limited utility, and you can use the spectrum for better purposes.

You can also assume at this point that folks will have an internet connection capable of video streaming. Certainly TMo can once they roll out n41 and the like.

Home broadband is an excuse for T-Mobile to roll out n41 in areas where they normally wouldn't do so. T-Vision is another revenue source/bandwidth sink that can make a case for a denser n41 build, or even mmWave (ugly VZW small cells notwithstanding).

• Thanks 1