Apple finally wins in patent court and it could be very bad for Android.

pyroscott

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 30 January 2012

Apple finally had it's day in court, winning the dispute against HTC over their 263 patent. The bad news for Android, this infringing software is at the core of the Android OS and there is no easy workaround like many of the other patent suits that have gone in Apple's favor. Could this mean the end of the line for the top selling smartphone OS?

Patent at the core of Android interpreted in Apple's favor

Probably not. There is still probably several routes the lawyers can take to extend this out further making it meaningless to the end user. Giving Google time to rewrite/reimplement anything necessary unless this is one of those brain-dead "Rectangular screen for phone purposes" type of super generic patents then there might be a chance of it being thrown out.

IANAL

This has the potential to get bloody. Google would almost have to jump in. I'm sure Google, Samsung, Motorola, LG etc are all calculating the risk/reward. After this victory, Apple is going to have that much more tenacity going after Android. They tasted blood, now they will be going for the kill.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 31 January 2012

Apparently Motorola was also handed a loss to Apple on the "263 patent" in the northern district of Illinois. Google might want to put on their thinking caps.

011812-ios-droid.jpg

It could happen that Android has to pay Apple in some certain way.

That`s what Apple is more than likely wanting anyway.

Then there is Tizen.

An open source platform that Samsung and Intel is working on.

It could be everything that Android wasn`t and then some.

Regardless we will have open source.

https://www.tizen.org/

Tizen screenshots

http://www.gsmarena.com/screenshots_of_tizen_meego_successor_leak-news-3634.php

• Like 2

that's not what Steve Jobs wanted. Not sure about the current apple regime...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

that's not what Steve Jobs wanted. Not sure about the current apple regime...

That`s true

Jobs did hate Android !

He couldn`t find anything innovative ...

So let`s sue!

Like putting two boxers in the ring.

If one opponent wins- the loser sues the winner!

GOD I HATE APPLE ! bunch of sore losers!

Then there is Tizen.

An open source platform that Samsung and Intel is working on.

It could be everything that Android wasn`t and then some.

Regardless we will have open source.

https://www.tizen.org/

Tizen screenshots

http://www.gsmarena....k-news-3634.php

You can tell it's a Samsung product. Sure gives me TouchWiz flashbacks. Thanks for the post. I hadn't heard of Tizen at all. And to think I'm supposed to be a tech journalist...even if just a pretend one.

I'd say Sony would be the company able to build a successful OS the quickest. Give it the ability to connect with PS3, some games from their library and work on using it to interconnect all the Sony home entertainment equipment like google has been trying to do for years with Android @ home and you have the #5 operating system...

I'd say Sony would be the company able to build a successful OS the quickest. Give it the ability to connect with PS3, some games from their library and work on using it to interconnect all the Sony home entertainment equipment like google has been trying to do for years with Android @ home and you have the #5 operating system...

More than likely...

Sony has it`s hands in everything (even under assuming names)

Even though they did nothing to help the Android OS.

Samsung is the one that stepped up and polished Android !

If I were to choose an OS from Sony or Samsung as it is to date.

I`d go with Samsung.

That could change. You never know with technology.

I'd hate to lose sony as an android player. They make some great hardware. Great cameras and still add a dedicated camera button.

Sonys problem right now is they are slow in development.

The Sony ion for example is a great phone. But specs wise it will almost be outdated before it is released.