Verizon Offering Domestic T-Mobile UMTS Roaming

RAvirani

Hi guys,

I think Verizon is now offering domestic HSPA roaming on T-Mobile on devices lacking CDMA.

While looking on Verizon’s international coverage map (https://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/overlays/international-travel-coverage-map.html), I noticed 3G coverage in Curlew, WA which only shows up when “World Device (with GSM)” is selected. The coverage is not there on the “Non World Device (CDMA Only)” setting.

Upon poking around the source code, I found that map loads several coverage layers, including one called “directumtsamericas”. Upon cutting out all of the layers barring this one, I found that the map exactly matches T-Mobile’s HSPA coverage map. It is interesting to note that UMTS-only (non-HSPA) areas on T-Mobile’s map do not show up on Verizon’s map  

I know Verizon has offered UMTS roaming for CDMA-less devices on AT&T in the past. Maybe they are now replacing this with T-Mobile roaming?

EDIT: Premier sponsors can now view this coverage on the Ultimate Coverage Map. 

• Like 5

• 2 years later...