Wi-Fi Calling

NEBRASKACHERS

yeah, that's the ticket, thanks.

i never bothered with GV on my mini, it doesn't look so bad on the 6+, even though its obviously never been updated to retina.

gv has been on ios for a long time (as the resolution of GV may indicate), and hangouts came out within the same time frame for both android/ios as far as I recall (either right before or after the iphone 6 release I think).

While my android still has my main number, I increasingly find myself using the 6+ exclusively and thus tied to hangouts, for better or worse.

I lose out on ios facetime/imessage integration though (along with the aforementioned MMS issue), other than for my iphone specific number, but gv/hangouts otherwise works great.

Oh, another great benefit of hangouts+gv on ios that is directly related to this thread, is that hangouts can make and receive calls over wifi. (independently of sprints/iphone wifi calling)

Yep, you are correct.  I just downloaded from the App Store both Google Voice and Hangouts on my iPad mini 2.  I did not realize that Apple had moved away from its protectionist douchebaggery of the past -- when it refused apps that competed with its own native apps.

Hangouts on iOS almost always gets new features and improvements in advance of its Android counterpart. Particularly frustrating for Android and Sprint users alike was when Google Voice calling was added on iOS months before Android received it.

• Like 1

Yep, you are correct.  I just downloaded from the App Store both Google Voice and Hangouts on my iPad mini 2.  I did not realize that Apple had moved away from its protectionist douchebaggery of the past -- when it refused apps that competed with its own native apps.

However, Google Voice, to be perfectly honest, looks like ass on the Retina display.  It is clearly a resolution limited, upscaled app on iOS.  Hangouts, on the other hand, is optimized for the Retina display.

AJ

Google was slow to update Google Maps, but there really is no excuse for apps to not be updated yet. Frustrating for sure.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• A heavy n41 overlay as an acquisition condition would be a win for customers, and eventually a win for T-Mobile as that might be enough to preclude VZW/AT&T adding C-Band for FWA due to spreading the market too thinly (which means T-Mobile would just have local WISPs/wireline ISPs as competition). USCC spacing (which is likely for contiguous 700 MHz LTE coverage in rural areas) isn't going to be enough for contiguous n41 anyway, and I doubt they'll densify enough to get there.
    • Boost Infinite with a rainbow SIM (you can get it SIM-only) is the cheapest way, at $25/mo, to my knowledge; the cheaper Boost Mobile plans don't run on Dish native. Check Phonescoop for n70 support on a given phone; the Moto G 5G from last year may be the cheapest unlocked phone with n70 though data speeds aren't as good as something with an X70 or better modem.
    • Continuing the USCC discussion, if T-Mobile does a full equipment swap at all of USCC's sites, which they probably will for vendor consistency, and if they include 2.5 on all of those sites, which they probably will as they definitely have economies of scale on the base stations, that'll represent a massive capacity increase in those areas over what USCC had, and maybe a coverage increase since n71 will get deployed everywhere and B71 will get deployed any time T-Mobile has at least 25x25, and maybe where they have 20x20. Assuming this deal goes through (I'm betting it does), I figure I'll see contiguous coverage in the area of southern IL where I was attempting to roam on USCC the last time I was there, though it might be late next year before that switchover happens.
    • Forgot to post this, but a few weeks ago I got to visit these small cells myself! They're spread around Grant park and the surrounding areas, but unfortunately none of the mmwave cells made it outside of the parks along the lake into the rest of downtown. I did spot some n41 small cells around downtown, but they seemed to be older deployments limited to 100mhz and performed poorly.    
    • What is the cheapest way to try Dish's wireless network?  Over the past year I've seen them add their equipment to just about every cell site here, I'm assuming just go through Boost's website?  What phones are Dish native?