Wi-Fi Calling

NEBRASKACHERS

yeah, that's the ticket, thanks.

i never bothered with GV on my mini, it doesn't look so bad on the 6+, even though its obviously never been updated to retina.

gv has been on ios for a long time (as the resolution of GV may indicate), and hangouts came out within the same time frame for both android/ios as far as I recall (either right before or after the iphone 6 release I think).

While my android still has my main number, I increasingly find myself using the 6+ exclusively and thus tied to hangouts, for better or worse.

I lose out on ios facetime/imessage integration though (along with the aforementioned MMS issue), other than for my iphone specific number, but gv/hangouts otherwise works great.

Oh, another great benefit of hangouts+gv on ios that is directly related to this thread, is that hangouts can make and receive calls over wifi. (independently of sprints/iphone wifi calling)

Yep, you are correct.  I just downloaded from the App Store both Google Voice and Hangouts on my iPad mini 2.  I did not realize that Apple had moved away from its protectionist douchebaggery of the past -- when it refused apps that competed with its own native apps.

Hangouts on iOS almost always gets new features and improvements in advance of its Android counterpart. Particularly frustrating for Android and Sprint users alike was when Google Voice calling was added on iOS months before Android received it.

• Like 1

Yep, you are correct.  I just downloaded from the App Store both Google Voice and Hangouts on my iPad mini 2.  I did not realize that Apple had moved away from its protectionist douchebaggery of the past -- when it refused apps that competed with its own native apps.

However, Google Voice, to be perfectly honest, looks like ass on the Retina display.  It is clearly a resolution limited, upscaled app on iOS.  Hangouts, on the other hand, is optimized for the Retina display.

AJ

Google was slow to update Google Maps, but there really is no excuse for apps to not be updated yet. Frustrating for sure.

• Like 1