New Apple Patent for Multi-Antenna System

MacinJosh

On Tuesday the USPTO published 22 new Apple patents. One of them specifically relates to LTE and Multi-Antenna systems in the iPhone.

Apple has received a Granted Patent that relates to the field of wireless communication and data networks. More particularly, Apple's invention is directed to the efficient allocation of time-frequency resources of a wireless communications system using multiple antennas, including the asymmetric distribution of data streams among the antennas.

Apple's patent discusses the various antennas utilized in the iPhone and related standards such as LTE, UMTS, MIMO, 3GPP, OFDM

Another section in the article describes data access methods, specifically:

For LTE, new multiple access methods have been specified in Apple's patent. For the downlink transmission direction, OFDMA in combination with TDMA has been specified. OFDMA in combination with TDMA subsequently referred to herein as OFDMA/TDMA, is a multi-carrier multiple access method in which a subscriber is provided with: (i) a defined number of subcarriers in the frequency spectrum; and (ii) a defined transmission time for the purpose of data transmission. Uplink data transmission is based on SC-FDMA (Single Carrier Frequency Division Multiple Access) in combination with TDMA.

Maybe Apple has really over-stepped their boundaries this time.

Comments are encouraged. I wish I had time to look through the whole patent, but most of that jargon baffles me at this time.

The article mentions 2 other granted other patents as well, one of which covers the case to the iPod Shuffle 4th Gen, but the LTE patent certainly seemed important to share.

Source: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/04/apple-wins-key-multi-antenna-patent-covering-lte-more.html

You mean that dry, technical jargon is not easy to read at 330 in the morning? Preposterous Josh!

Man, it's not easy for me to read period. One of these days I will understand what I'm reading, but for now I don't. Nothing to do with time of day.

Surprises these were granted so quickly...I remember the LTE antenna one being applied for not too long ago...least it was brought up on some site that they applied for it not long ago...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Surprises these were granted so quickly...I remember the LTE antenna one being applied for not too long ago...least it was brought up on some site that they applied for it not long ago...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Money talks...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2