Qualcomm, Sprint accelerate NASCAR small cell experiment

March 4, 2014 | By Tammy Parker

AVONDALE, Ariz.--Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) made the Phoenix International Raceway a test bed for hyper-dense small cell deployment this month during NASCAR's popular Sprint Cup Series, showing how the company's UltraSON software and Qualcomm Atheros chipsets can be used to lay out small cell networks with minimal or no RF planning.

The company laid out 31 Airspan AirSynergy LTE pico base stations in the garage area at the Phoenix track. Christophe Chevallier, principal engineer and manager at Qualcomm, told FierceWirelessTech that the layout represents the "densest LTE outdoor network in the world."

Read more: Qualcomm, Sprint accelerate NASCAR small cell experiment - FierceWirelessTech http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/qualcomm-sprint-accelerate-nascar-small-cell-experiment/2014-03-04#ixzz2v6Ihov00 

Subscribe at FierceWirelessTech

• Like 7

My wifes has family that works for a NASCAR team. He told me even that most teams get greatly discounted services and lots of freebies from Sprint , that many teams including his have been using different networks for their mobile services. At first it was being taken off Nextel or the iden network to Sprints network for direct connect that didn't work as well, then when smart phones become more popular the slow data pushed most teams to another network mainly to big red. Hopefully Sprint can regain there business with moves like this. They need to show they have a new network and its a lot better than what they were previous getting.

• Like 2

I knew something was up when I went to the Phoenix race for the weekend. Speed and capacity was definitely increased. For all the races that I go to, (Chicagoland, Daytona, Talladega, Phoenix, and Auto Club) I have to revert back to EVDO because almost no one is connected to it. For this weekend, I didn't have to!

• Like 6

This caught my eye: " In addition, Nexus 5 handsets and one LG handset were also used during the tests..." Since the deployment was only on band 41, this must mean that they were using N5s with the Spark radio enabled. Hopefully that's a positive sign that the update is coming in the next few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 5