Old Clear gear

mhammett

Some of their backhaul radios may be retained by Sprint.

You should also know that most designs they use run in licensed bands.  As such, it is not legal to sell them to someone who is not FCC licensed.  Additionally, even if you could purchase them, it would be a combination of illegal and irresponsible to attempt to install/operate them without registration and approval with the FCC.  Improper installation could cause serious interference issues, and they ARE pretty good at tracking that stuff down, especially when you're interfering with either a telecom's equipment or somebody's high dollar corporate radio WAN links.

You might look into a product called Air Fiber from Ubiquiti.  Most of those models can operate in unlicensed bands, are designed to be easier to set up, and are moderately inexpensive.  A couple of thousand dollars can have you a 2000-5000 meter gigabit link if you have line of sight.

Dragonwave makes a few unlicensed products as well, though their hardware tends to be more carrier-centric and more complicated to install.  I would consider their hardware to be more robust and reliable, though it is more expensive.

• Like 1

O P is an ISP, and is quite knowledgeable about FCC requirements.

Didn't know that.

The OP wants the backhaul gear, not the endpoint gear. That means he wants the microwave P2P transmission gear.

I did understand that. I was talking about the microwave backhaul hardware.

I know where to purchase the gear new as I have a whole list of vendors. I'm expecting that pulling thousands or tens of thousands of predominantly Dragonwave radios that I could make good use of. Most of their existing links will not sustain TDD-LTE as Sprint is implementing it. I'm actually soon implementing a Dragonwave network for a client.

Licensing and coordination is pretty easy, you just need to do it.

I know several 2.5 GHz license holders that would love to get their WiMax gear, whenever it is pulled.

I beta test Ubiquiti hardware, so I'm familiar with their offering.

I am also aware that you were not aware of my credentials when I posted.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Licensing and coordination is pretty easy, you just need to do it.

FCC is easy, just paperwork and waiting.

Problem is that there are too many people who would "play" with this hardware without knowing (or often without caring about) the potential implications. They might not know what we do, being both in the telecommunications industry, but still know enough to make it work (or at least cause enough trouble attempting to do so).

I read some of ARRL's copies of FCC enforcement actions. It's really quite amusing to see the amount of havoc one can cause with a simple MF, HF, or VHF rig at a couple hundred Watts.

• Like 1