American Express Insurance (With Laptop)

Ascertion

Hey guys,

I'm curious what you guys think I should do...Sometime late in 2013, my laptop's WiFi card started having intermittent connection.  (Ping Skyrockets at random times and it's very noticeable in online games.), but the WiFi works.  I took my laptop to Best Buy to get it looked at and they said they'd try a diagnostic but wouldn't find anything wrong with it since the problem is related to latency, and not actually the functionality of the WiFi card... They suggested I pay a $200 to have a Tech support agent remote in on my laptop to see what's wrong...but I don't see how that's going to prove anything since the connection works, until I have a lag spike.  The technician probably wouldn't notice any lag spikes if he remoted in, maybe a short timeout...Even though my laptop was under warranty at the time, I didn't bother sending it into Asus or have Best Buy diagnose the problem due to their inability to check for latency issues.  (I have confirmed it's wireless, because every other device works flawlessly on the same router, and when I hardwire my laptop via Ethernet, no issues.)  Not only that, but I've also purchased an intel wireless card and installed it myself and alas the problem STILL exists!  At this point, I'm starting to think it's Windows 8.1 so I did a search and found Windows 8.1 causes some serious issues.  Here's the problem - I can't downgrade from Windows 8.1 due to lack of driver support...

On 1/30, my laptop stopped charging.  This is likely a faulty charging cable but I decided to use my American Express extended warranty program to file a claim to see if they can fix both the charging issues and wireless issue.  American Express is requesting I get a repair estimate but I've already went to Best Buy and they said their testing wouldn't find any issues and that I'd have to get tech support to even look at the problem.  

My question is, do you know of a way I can prove to Best Buy that my WiFi is acting up?  I don't want to pay $200 to get tech support to remote in only to find nothing's wrong...

Sorry for long post and somewhat off topic thread, but I'm kind of lost here.  Do you know of another reputable repair agency that may be able to track down issues with latency on WiFi?

#1:  Stop going to Best Buy.  Their techs are as stupid as they come and they sell garbage.  Their so called Expert is just looking through a bigger book than their basic tech.  Best Buy refuses to acknowledge or employ industry standard certifications and credentials for technicians.

#2:  Do your own diagnostic work.  Find out what causes the latency if you can.  Try another connection.

#3:  Update your wireless drivers.  Get the update from the site of the manufacturer of your wireless card.  DO NOT download one of those stupid driver update programs that you see all over the Internet, they are virus-ridden scamware.

#4:  If a different charger doesn't charge your computer, it's likely that you have a mainboard problem.  Asus laptops are not known for repairability, so odds are that it can't be fixed.  You will get at least a new board out of the deal.

#5:  Do not EVER go to a chain technical service EVER AGAIN!  No Worst Buy, no Office Max, no Staples, no Nerds for Hire, etc.  They all work out of playbooks and don't really care about you as a customer.  They also don't pay their technicians crap, so they get really crappy technicians because the good ones can make more than a piddly $15 or so per hour anywhere else.

PM me if you want more help.  I am a technology professional and I will help you as much as I can.

• Like 1

#1:  Stop going to Best Buy.  Their techs are as stupid as they come and they sell garbage.  Their so called Expert is just looking through a bigger 

I think he works at Best Buy.   :welc2:

Robert

• Like 1

I was seasonal - but I was in the Mobile department. :P

EDIT: I'm a Publix man. Remember Robert, the Iced Tea is on me if you ever visit Jacksonville, Florida.

I recall. But I also recall reading posts about working for Best Buy. I try to keep up.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I used to work at Best Buy some number of years ago and last I recall they had no diagnostic tool in their toolkit to troubleshoot/validate an issue as to what you're describing. Like MrZorbatron I wouldn't recommended Best Buy. They are likely only going to scan your machine for malware and or recommend an OS restore which you sound fully capable of completing yourself.

As MrZorbatron pointed out try new device drivers or keep on a lookout for new ones posted by Intel or the drive mfg of the wireless card. Also check to see if there are any new BIOS updates for your model machine from ASUS. Changing the Wireless card was a good start and if you're still likely seeing the issue it may as you insist be a software issue and you'd probably be better off contacting Microsoft Support if you truly believe it's an OS issue. But I'd recommend you clone your hard drive first and do a factory restore and see if the issue exists without any additional software installed before contacting them.

Also just because the drivers for your Laptop aren't listed on Asus's website doesn't mean you aren't going to be unable to downgrade the OS. I have done it countless times and sometimes it requires you go directly to the mfg. site to get a newer or older drivers that will work. Microsoft usually does a great job discovering and using their stocks drivers for most hardware devices out there.  

For your issue I would download a tool like Ping Plotter and then capture a working trace on LAN and one on Wireless with both Wireless cards and submit it to Microsoft as a starting point once you've ruled out everything else which is sounds you've already done.

Just go to a local shop and get a repair estimate / quote drawn up and provide it to AmEx.  I do not believe they are going to hassle you to much over it and if the estimate starts to get close to the cost of the laptop they will simply credit you.

Just go to a local shop and get a repair estimate / quote drawn up and provide it to AmEx. I do not believe they are going to hassle you to much over it and if the estimate starts to get close to the cost of the laptop they will simply credit you.

be careful with American Express. A lot of the time, there very hard on merchants. Whether or not the merchant was at fault, and insurance claim will likely result in the entire charge amount being reversed on to the company that initially sold the computer. if that's best buy, then whatever. If some little independent shop for this stupid enough to sell asus, it really is unforrtunate to have that happen to them. I would rather have the situation go through Asus warranty.

be careful with American Express. A lot of the time, there very hard on merchants. Whether or not the merchant was at fault, and insurance claim will likely result in the entire charge amount being reversed on to the company that initially sold the computer. if that's best buy, then whatever. If some little independent shop for this stupid enough to sell asus, it really is unforrtunate to have that happen to them. I would rather have the situation go through Asus warranty.

this program isnt handled by AmEx themselves it is through a third party company.  an insurance company of sorts.