Galaxy S3 Dismal 1x Service

jgore43

Hello ALL!

I have been perusing these forums for a while patiently waiting for the 4g roll out to happen in my area. I have had excellent sprint service 1x and 3g and recently the 4g has come online. Over the last weekend i traveled to an area that lacks sprint native coverage, i used sensorly to map my trip there and the area around it. There i noticed that i was getting a 4G signal while roaming on 1x. When i got back home i now have very crappy 1x service, while my 3g service is normal in areas where i can access 1x. Using Signal check pro i get 1x readings that vary from -100 to -105 in areas where i should be getting -80 to -90. My other sprint devices set right next to each other get the correct values connected to the same tower. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems to me like a device issue but i am not certain. I was running Cm11 when i first noticed the issue and have flashed back to stock and flashed modems many times and the issue continues.  Attached are come screen shots of the issue. Has anyone encountered this before? And if so what did you do to fix it? Thanks!

961cb7a2-0712-4ff0-9e75-ef86b81037cb.png  24b5c68b-c823-478a-a197-a469a91aa997.png

1)Roaming with excellent sprint 3g service.

2)1X and Evdo on the same tower, should be getting approximately the same signal.

-100 to -105dB is technically a usable signal, I am a little confused on what the problem is. The picture on the left is when you are roaming and the picture on the right is your native coverage for Sprint?  As far as 1x and 3G EVDO you will not get the same signal as EVDO is a little fragile compared to CDMA 1x RTT.  The picture on the right it looks as if your are getting voice service from another Sprint site other than the site that has the incoming EVDO signal, were you 3G roaming? 

EDIT: I've never seen a Basestation ID with only 3 numerical digits like that before for on Sprint.

Thank you for the responce!

-100 to -105dB is technically a usable signal, I am a little confused on what the problem is. The picture on the left is when you are roaming and the picture on the right is your native coverage for Sprint? 

The screenshot on the left is 1x roaming in an area that i have normally had strong sprint service.

With my plan i only get 1x roaming with verizon, so the 3g connection is coming from a sprint tower, the 3g numbers look average for what i had seen before. I did a speed test and the results looked like what i would normally get from a speed test on a upgraded sprint tower.

The screen shot on the right with the -98 was taken in an area where i normally get -80 to -90 on native 1x and am currently getting -78 native on another S3 that i have.

As far as 1x and 3G EVDO you will not get the same signal as EVDO is a little fragile compared to CDMA 1x RTT.  The picture on the right it looks as if your are getting voice service from another Sprint site other than the site that has the incoming EVDO signal, were you 3G roaming? 

EDIT: I've never seen a Basestation ID with only 3 numerical digits like that before for on Sprint.

The only reason that i noticed an issue was because my EVDO signals have been stronger that my 1x signals, signifigantly stronger and that has never been the case in the past. 

This all started when i was out of town and noticed i had an LTE signal and was roaming on Alltel towers for 1x. 

Hope that might clear up the issue.

-100 to -105dB is technically a usable signal, I am a little confused on what the problem is. The picture on the left is when you are roaming and the picture on the right is your native coverage for Sprint?  As far as 1x and 3G EVDO you will not get the same signal as EVDO is a little fragile compared to CDMA 1x RTT.  The picture on the right it looks as if your are getting voice service from another Sprint site other than the site that has the incoming EVDO signal, were you 3G roaming? 

I have had strange behavior with my S3 too.  I had it roaming on 1x on SID 21 (Verizon 850) while on Sprint EVDO or LTE.

On the GS3, EVDO and LTE share a transmit/receive path, so you can only be on one at a time.  1x is separate.

Legacy was 3 digit all the time around here.

I have had strange behavior with my S3 too.  I had it roaming on 1x on SID 21 (Verizon 850) while on Sprint EVDO or LTE.

On the GS3, EVDO and LTE share a transmit/receive path, so you can only be on one at a time.  1x is separate.

That is what I was thinking when I saw the 3 digits, its always been 5 digits around here legacy or NV.

Update profile? Make sure you are in CDMA/LTE. I had a similar issue at one point and that helped. I would call Sprint to get the phone re provisioned in case none of that works.

Ive updated the profile and had it re provisioned, reset every piece of software possible back to stock and i still have a 1x signal that never goes above -98. I am beginning to think this is a hardware issue....

It was extremely strange to see signal check pro say Alltel (LTE), i took a screenshot but forgot to back it up and lost it in all the re flashing i did.... That made no sense to me, in my experiences if im within range of LTE, then 1X should be solid. I switched out to a Note 2 to carry around today, places where i was roaming yesterday, i have strong 1x signal today with the Note.

That is what I was thinking when I saw the 3 digits, its always been 5 digits around here legacy or NV.

The tower that i am connected to the majority of the time is the only  tower in my area that hasnt been upgraded yet, i think there is troubles with the backhaul they were running cables about 2 months ago from the nearest main road. 

Could it be possible that the 1x radio on the phone is fried? I began noticing the strange behavior after i had the phone on and plugged in for 3 hours using google maps and mapping a trip with sensorly, it could have gotten too hot?