SIM Card for iPad

delta772er

Hey everyone,

I just got a new iPad mini with Retina display (WiFi + Cellular variant). I went a head and got the T-Mobile version so I could get the free monthly data, plus I was enticed by international roaming being included in their packages. I know the iPad is not a locked device, and in the case of the latest iPad models (Air and Mini) there is only one model for all carriers, previously there was a different model for the CDMA carriers.

I've picked up an AT&T SIM card to use when needed, but I was curious if anyone knew where I could get a Sprint SIM? Are they carried by corporate stores? I know the activation process will be a bit different since this happens over CDMA but first things first I need a SIM.

Thanks,

Charlie

Hey everyone,

I just got a new iPad mini with Retina display (WiFi + Cellular variant). I went a head and got the T-Mobile version so I could get the free monthly data, plus I was enticed by international roaming being included in their packages. I know the iPad is not a locked device, and in the case of the latest iPad models (Air and Mini) there is only one model for all carriers, previously there was a different model for the CDMA carriers.

I've picked up an AT&T SIM card to use when needed, but I was curious if anyone knew where I could get a Sprint SIM? Are they carried by corporate stores? I know the activation process will be a bit different since this happens over CDMA but first things first I need a SIM.

Thanks,

Charlie

A couple things...

I am not sure Sprint would activate a device that wasn't purchased from them. That's why I got my iPad from them.

You don't need to buy the iPad from t-mobile in order to get the free 200mb. I got the SIM straight from T-Mobile (back when they had them for 99 cents a few weeks ago) then activated on my Sprint iPad and am getting the 200 free mb.

BTW, Sprint has a pretty good deal on tablet plans right now - 2gb for $15/mo. with no contract (though with fees it comes out to almost $20 a month, still decent tho).

I am not sure Sprint would activate a device that wasn't purchased from them. That's why I got my iPad from them.

Pretty sure you don't need to buy an iPad from Sprint in order to use it on their network. The plans are all activated through the devices - at least that's how my Verizon iPad 2 was. 

If you get a Sprint SIM, it should work. All of the new iPads are unlocked. 

Pretty sure you don't need to buy an iPad from Sprint in order to use it on their network. The plans are all activated through the devices - at least that's how my Verizon iPad 2 was. 

If you get a Sprint SIM, it should work. All of the new iPads are unlocked.

Like I said, I am not sure about Sprint's policy when it comes to tablets. The two CDMA carriers tend to be real PITA when it comes to activating devices in general.

BTW, I was not able to activate the $15/month "special" plan through the device when I got it about six weeks ago. I had to call Sprint to have them activate it over the phone (which added about $4 in taxes and fees per month to the cost of the plan).

As long as it is a ipad retina/ipad air/ipad mini w/ cellular it can be activated on sprint. Just need to put a sim in and add the meid to your account.

For the second part, when you activate through the device it is with what i believe is called mobile broadband pass. These are month to month and i believe limited options. The $15 2gb plan is reserved for contract customers but i couldbe wrong. Below is a link to the mobile broad band passes.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=mbb_passes&catId=service_mbb&catName=Mobile%20Broadband&detName=Mobile%20Broadband%20Passes

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

The $15 plan is without contract. However, it doesn't seem like they let you activate it using a "pass". That means that after all the BS fees they tack on when they put your info in their regular billing system it's more like $20.

Do you happen to know what Sprint charges for a SIM card nowadays? If you lose your SIM they charge you some ungodly amount, like $50 or something I believe (and for something that costs them maybe 20 cents!). Does that same ridiculous price apply to SIMs for establishing tablet service also?

Edited by GoWireless

The $15 plan is without contract. However, it doesn't seem like they let you activate it using a "pass". That means that after all the BS fees they tack on when they put your info in their regular billing system it's more like $20.

Do you happen to know what Sprint charges for a SIM card nowadays? If you lose your SIM they charge you some ungodly amount, like $50 or something I believe (and for something that costs them maybe 20 cents!). Does that same ridiculous price apply to SIMs for establishing tablet service also?

There are no charges for Sprint SIMs. There are dozens of posts throughout our forums of people getting their SIM cards for free. Not for new service, not for lost cards. I hear that there are some 3rd party stores that charge.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Some brilliant Sprint reps at a corporate store (who insisted sims were only for international use not LTE) refused to activate my iPad air. They said no sim was necessary, just a valid MEID (which apparently my (originally) Verizon iPad Air does not have).

Something really should be done about these reps. They should be required to read the FAQ on this site.

The whole experience soured my interest in the plan and I reverted back to free T-Mo data.

Some brilliant Sprint reps at a corporate store (who insisted sims were only for international use not LTE) refused to activate my iPad air they said no sim was necessary only a valid MEID (which apparently my (originally) Verizon iPad Air does not have).

Something really should be done about these reps. They should be required to read the FAQ on this site.

The whole experience soured my interest in the plan and I reverted back to free T-Mo data.

I agree. Sprint needs to be a much better job communicating and educating. It's awful.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Some brilliant Sprint reps at a corporate store (who insisted sims were only for international use not LTE) refused to activate my iPad air they said no sim was necessary only a valid MEID (which apparently my (originally) Verizon iPad Air does not have). Something really should be done about these reps. They should be required to read the FAQ on this site. The whole experience soured my interest in the plan and I reverted back to free T-Mo data.

That sucks, dude!

Because of crap like this is basically why I went ahead and got the tablet from Sprint (more specifically, a Sprint one from the Apple store; the Sprint stores didn't have them in stock around launch time). That said, when I did go to activate it over the phone, the MEID was indeed the only number CS asked for (though of course, despite what the idiots in the Sprint store told lynyrd65, you still had to have a SIM card - which I did since it was a Sprint tagged tablet). No problem whatsoever activating the same tablet on T-Mobile though (and with the free 200mb).

As for the charge for SIMs... I distinctly remember reading folks being charged $50 for a lost SIM card (on xda I think it was). I am glad to hear that this is not the official policy on these things. Just another example of the inconsistency in customer service, like with the poster who wasn't able to activate his tablet.

BTW, on my Air, the MEID can be found near the bottom of the General->About screen under Settings.

Edited by GoWireless

Thanks!

I originally got the T-Mo version because I was visiting home and wanted to try T-Mo's service in the area, on faux G I got about 1 mbps down.

I ended up picking up an AT&T card because the nearest Sprint store was 40 miles away. I'm going to stop at the store here in downtown Portland and see. A friend of mine that works for Apple told me the Apple store will give me one as well. Either way, it'll be nice to have all 3 carriers as an option.

-Charlie