WiFi Routers...

Ascertion

So, I'm reading up on Wireless AC routers and found that they broadcast in exclusively the 5GHz band. Now, my question is, how can you determine the output levels of signal prior to purchasing a new router? If I'm going to get an AC router, I feel like I will need to make up for the 5ghz band and increase my output levels or get a router that has better antennas. (I currently have a repeater set up on Wireless G.)

My ASUS (RT-AC66U) has programmable output up to 200 mw (default is 80). Document says that it knows regional regulations. I guess that means that if you live in a 100 mw region, it will limit you to that 100 mw regardless of how high you set it.

• Like 1

Location of the router is KEY! Put it middle floor in the middle of the house.  I don't know how many people stuff it in there basement.  I got the Netgear R6300! Best one I use to have Linksys but it was wearing out.  I love the Netgears range!!! Especially the 5ghz band

Ubiquiti products = real range and reliability for the right price

We talkin' something like this, then?

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Enterprise-System-Range/dp/B005H4CDF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382757655&sr=8-2&keywords=Ubiquiti

What model would you recommend?  I'm interested in this, especially looking at the reviews.

We talkin' something like this, then?

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Enterprise-System-Range/dp/B005H4CDF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382757655&sr=8-2&keywords=Ubiquiti

What model would you recommend? I'm interested in this, especially looking at the reviews.

Depends on what you need... 2 mile backhaul shot?

Depends on what you need... 2 mile backhaul shot?

That'd be kind of cool. I would have a strong WiFi at my job, which is 2 miles.

Apparently, nobody noticed this exchange from last summer...

Does my Ubiquiti Nanostation 30 foot in the air pointed towards the park count? I can pull a mile with ease.

Is the vegetation all brown on that narrow path to the park?  What are the cancer rates along that route?

;)

AJ