Quick question

Do sites listed as having 800 MHz upgrades have both 800 MHz 1x and LTE running, or is that only referring to 1x, and 800 LTE will have to be rolled out later?

Just CDMA 800.  No LTE 800 sites have been accepted to date.  If Sprint's schedule holds, the first LTE 800 sites will be accepted in a Samsung market in Chicago, Indiana or West Michigan in the month of September.

Robert

• Like 1

Do we have a rough estimate as to when all new 4G sites will be getting 800 and 1900 LTE accepted at the same time?

2015 or 2016.

2015 or 2016.

2016 :o Lolwut? I was thinking sometime in Q1 2014. Sprint said they want to have all current 1900 LTE sites to have 800 LTE by the end of the year, and that at some point during that period (Q4 2013) or soon afterward all new 4G activations would be for both bands.

Considering that all the equipment is already there for both frequencies after a site is 3G accepted except the carrier cards and backhaul, I don't see why they would do it in separate trips, which would lead to a more costly and lengthy 800 LTE deployment.

2016 :o Lolwut? I was thinking sometime in Q1 2014. Sprint said they want to have all current 1900 LTE sites to have 800 LTE by the end of the year, and that at some point during that period (Q4 2013) or soon afterward all new 4G activations would be for both bands.

Considering that all the equipment is already there for both frequencies after a site is 3G accepted except the carrier cards and backhaul, I don't see why they would do it in separate trips, which would lead to a more costly and lengthy 800 LTE deployment.

When you said all, I take that as every Sprint site capable of LTE. That won't occur until 2015 - 2016.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

When you said all, I take that as every Sprint site capable of LTE. That won't occur until 2015 - 2016.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

All new 4G activations, not all sites in general. Basically, I am asking when they'll start accepting 800 LTE side-by-side with 1900 LTE, not when the entire network will have both.

All new 4G activations, not all sites in general. Basically, I am asking when they'll start accepting 800 LTE side-by-side with 1900 LTE, not when the entire network will have both.

As S4GRU said, you'll start to see 800 LTE in certain markets this month. If there is a site that hasn't been 1900 LTE activated there may be simultaneous activations. I don't think it will occur that way in every market unless the site is 800 CDMA activated.

As S4GRU said, you'll start to see 800 LTE in certain markets this month. If there is a site that hasn't been 1900 LTE activated there may be simultaneous activations. I don't think it will occur that way in every market unless the site is 800 CDMA activated.

Yes, the activations starting this month (e.g. Chicago) will be on sites that already have 1900 LTE in markets that are NV mature. I don't think that 800 LTE is dependent on 1x 800 being active to work, which is why I find a simultaneous installation for the two bands probable at some point.

If the GMO's will be converted to Full Builds in the middle of 2014, why would it take until 2016 before all sites have 4G. I'd give until early 2015. I'm sure by mid-2014 nearly all of the sites will already have upgraded backhaul, all they'll have to worry about is new panels and carrier cards.

If the GMO's will be converted to Full Builds in the middle of 2014, why would it take until 2016 before all sites have 4G. I'd give until early 2015. I'm sure by mid-2014 nearly all of the sites will already have upgraded backhaul, all they'll have to worry about is new panels and carrier cards.

2016 is the long shot but I think 2015 is highly possible. Some markets haven't even started construction yet. So take into account those markets and that Chicago isn't even 100% yet after 18 months or so of work.