Verizon texting and calling issues in one location...

vandi

The rest of my family is on Sprint... I'm on verizon since work pays for it, and really regretting it...

I have two houses and when at my "vacation" house, I can't get a text message out and outgoing calls may or may not work.  

We have a Sprint airave here and since the towers around us have gotten upgraded, not sure we need it any more, but it's free.. so hell why not.

Since I've switched to my GS3 on verizon, it's been horrible here. Every where else it's fine.  I had an Iphone 4S and a thunderbolt previously and never had a lick of trouble with them. For a while I thought the airave might be of issue since it was replaced what seems like around the time I started having issues, but I've unplugged it and left it off during the time my wife was out of town and it was of no use.

Since many of here have come from verizon or even have verizon on a second phone I was wondering if there might be some suggestions... other than the standard... reboot.reset.wipe, etc 

I'd rather not pay verizon the $250 for their version of the airave since I used to not have problems.

Thanks

The rest of my family is on Sprint... I'm on verizon since work pays for it, and really regretting it...

I have two houses and when at my "vacation" house, I can't get a text message out and outgoing calls may or may not work.  

We have a Sprint airave here and since the towers around us have gotten upgraded, not sure we need it any more, but it's free.. so hell why not.

Since I've switched to my GS3 on verizon, it's been horrible here. Every where else it's fine.  I had an Iphone 4S and a thunderbolt previously and never had a lick of trouble with them. For a while I thought the airave might be of issue since it was replaced what seems like around the time I started having issues, but I've unplugged it and left it off during the time my wife was out of town and it was of no use.

Since many of here have come from verizon or even have verizon on a second phone I was wondering if there might be some suggestions... other than the standard... reboot.reset.wipe, etc 

I'd rather not pay verizon the $250 for their version of the airave since I used to not have problems.

Thanks

I'd contact Verizon about it. It might be an issue their aware of, or it might not be. I've been surprised how often some issue I'm having can be repaired easily on the carrier's side once they actually know about it, so I'd try to ask them about it. 

I ended up doing that, but I have to go through our corporate wireless management company..  but I did get someone will to help escalate it without troubleshooting the phone first.. so that was encouraging.  He's wanting me to make some calls over the weekend and track what happens to them.  So far it's been 2 out of three calls dropped before ringing the remote party.

What is bothering me is that I'm getting tri-tones at the beginning of calls, like the airave.  So I'm wondering... could I be hitting a neighbor's network extender and since it's on the fringes of the range having issues?  I don't talk to my neighbors... I would think they don't exist, but the guy is out blowing his yard every day...so I can't ask them.  Our houses are close, probably about 40-50 feet wall to wall.

Thanks

The Galaxy Nexus was known for terrible RF performance on VZW and Sprint. I hear that the Galaxy S 3 on VZW is also known to have less than ideal RF performance especially with LTE (unlike the Sprint version save for cellular 850 performance).

You could trade your GS3 for a Razr Maxx or Razr HD to get better performance. If not you could look into purchasing a Verizon network extender used or a cellular repeater.

At my cabin (vacation home pretty much) I use both a repeater and an airave,

Why? We didn't used to have internet so we couldn't use the airave and so people with other providers could get better signal.

Finally, if you feel like stickin it to VZW, you could flash a US Cellular PRL. I happen to know that US Cellular phones can roam onto an Airave ;)

I have never heard of a Verizon customer getting in trouble for roaming too much and US Cellular probably doesn't offer service in your area anyway, so you likely wouldn't be roaming (although your phone would mostly indicate as such). The benefit is use of the airave by your VZW phone. The disbenefit is possibly roaming onto US Cellular more than your would have otherwise,

Thanks

VZW will also give them to users at no cost.

Plus there isn't a monthly cost, unlike Sprint's fees.

VZW will also give them to users at no cost.

Plus there isn't a monthly cost, unlike Sprint's fees.

That's what I'm hoping.  But I guess I have to jump through hoops to get there.

The Galaxy Nexus was known for terrible RF performance on VZW and Sprint. I hear that the Galaxy S 3 on VZW is also known to have less than ideal RF performance especially with LTE (unlike the Sprint version save for cellular 850 performance).

You could trade your GS3 for a Razr Maxx or Razr HD to get better performance. If not you could look into purchasing a Verizon network extender used or a cellular repeater.

Finally, if you feel like stickin it to VZW, you could flash a US Cellular PRL. I happen to know that US Cellular phones can roam onto an Airave ;)

Yeah, signal is just poor.  Since it's a work phone and I went through hell getting this one, I'm not really in a position to swap phones.. So we'll see what comes of the "testing" over the weekend and a hopeful escalation. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a weekend of dealing with bad calls about 1 in 10 went through and was told that I could not be reached by those calling me. It was escalated... That came back with oh you are in a weak area.  Options... Network Extender at my cost (with a small discount) or porting out and waived EFT.  So.. Sprint here I come!  Now if I can just get the order placed with our wireless management company, which seems like they have a few bad apples themselves.  I will be good to go!

• Like 1