Decnet RF Phone

hescominsoon

I have a gnex and while i like the non-bloatware version of the phone the rf performance on this handset it horrid.  I only have a few months until i can get another phone( if i decide to renew contract) and i'm wondering which of the Andriods that sprint currently offers has good rf performance especially in low signal areas..my gnex needs about 33% more signal than other phones..:)

What is "Decnet"?  Is that like Skynet?  Are you a Terminator?

AJ

• Like 4

I have a gnex and while i like the non-bloatware version of the phone the rf performance on this handset it horrid. I only have a few months until i can get another phone( if i decide to renew contract) and i'm wondering which of the Andriods that sprint currently offers has good rf performance especially in low signal areas..my gnex needs about 33% more signal than other phones..:)

I have found that the Galaxy Note 2 and LG Optimus G have the best RF performance in my usage and testing. I would say that the Galaxy S3 is also very good. I hear anecdotal reports that the GS4 is similar, but I have not experienced it myself.

The Motorola Photon Q is pretty good, but seems to have lots of little bugs about losing data connection that are annoying.

But probably the best phone I've ever tested is the Samsung Victory LTE. It is a non flagship phone, but works very well. The HTC EVO LTE should be avoided for those who desire/require top notch RF performance. I hear that the HTC One is much improved over the EVO, but probably not as good as the new Samsungs or LGs.

Just a couple years ago, Samsung and LG devices were the worst for RF performance and HTC was the best. So things can change from year to year and model to model. So we should probably avoid making any sweeping characterizations about OEM's and RF performance.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

It is like Hexnet but in decimal form.

2b or not 2b, that is the question 43...

AJ

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

In line with the original point of this thread...

Is anyone aware of any threads/sites that specifically compare RF performance for a given carrier's phones? I currently have the EVO 4G LTE, and as Robert indicated above the 4G performance is poor. At home, I'm lucky to get signal strength better than -100dBm (using SignalCheck Pro), with speeds very rarely exceeding 5Mbps down. I'm about 1.5 miles away from tower at home, and do not really foresee any significant network changes from Sprint any time soon. I'm due for an upgrade in March, and RF performance will be a major factor in deciding on a new phone. While I like HTC devices in general, I'm not wedded to them, and would certainly consider someone else if the RF performance is there. And as long as I've been with Sprint (and as generally happy as I've been with them), I'm not wedded to them, either. If I have to go to Verizon, or (God forbid) AT&T for decent coverage at home, I will.

I know that Sensorly shows local signal strength for the various carriers, but I'm specifically looking for *radio* performance for different handsets.

Thanks in advance

In line with the original point of this thread...

Is anyone aware of any threads/sites that specifically compare RF performance for a given carrier's phones? I currently have the EVO 4G LTE, and as Robert indicated above the 4G performance is poor. At home, I'm lucky to get signal strength better than -100dBm (using SignalCheck Pro), with speeds very rarely exceeding 5Mbps down. I'm about 1.5 miles away from tower at home, and do not really foresee any significant network changes from Sprint any time soon. I'm due for an upgrade in March, and RF performance will be a major factor in deciding on a new phone. While I like HTC devices in general, I'm not wedded to them, and would certainly consider someone else if the RF performance is there. And as long as I've been with Sprint (and as generally happy as I've been with them), I'm not wedded to them, either. If I have to go to Verizon, or (God forbid) AT&T for decent coverage at home, I will.

I know that Sensorly shows local signal strength for the various carriers, but I'm specifically looking for *radio* performance for different handsets.

Thanks in advance

No one does this. The resources it takes to do a fair and scientific test just make this not feasible. S4GRU tried to do this early on. And we came up with some very useful and meaningful data. But to be conclusive, scientific and helpful was just not possible. To be wrong or provide incomplete data on something like this would be journalism malpractice. And why we stopped short of doing it.

I don't see anyone else doing this for the same reasons. The best you can do now is research FCC OET EIRP numbers to use as a general indicator and customer feedback. We have never seen a device have strong ERP numbers end up being a weak performer. And we've never seen a weak ERP device end up being a strong performer. Typically if the FCC tests are off, it's only by one rung. Sometimes a strong tester ends up being just good. Or a weak tester ends up being fair.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Also, you should not be worried by -100 dBm RSRP. That is fine signal strength and is not greatly affecting your LTE speeds. Plus, you have little reason to not be satisfied with 5 Mbps.

AJ

• Like 3

Robert/AJ

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

Bearing in mind that those are best-case results I posted above (typically more like -115 to -120 dBm and 2.5 to 3.0 Mbps down, which is still better than my home DSL), I was hoping for better in the future. In particular a more stable connection; there are quite a few times when the LTE won't connect at all, and the 3G here is horrendous.

Just thinking about the future - not much else to do with the weather like it is here today  :)