Another tasty morsel for Verizon...

Rawvega

...As they gobble up Mohave Wireless

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/04/pr2013-04-01j.html

BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon Wireless has completed its purchase of partnership interests in Mohave Cellular Limited Partnership (“Mohave Wireless”) from Frontier Communications and Rio Virgin Telephone. Verizon Wireless now owns 100 percent of Mohave Wireless. Financial terms are not being disclosed.

This transaction will expand Verizon Wireless’ footprint in northwest Arizona. Mohave Wireless’ spectrum license and operations cover a population of 203,000. The market is located between Las Vegas Verizon Wireless will integrate Mohave Wireless’ EV-DO (3G) network with the Verizon Wireless network and plans to deploy 4G LTE services in the near future. Verizon Wireless will serve Mohave Wireless customers, using the existing brand name, until the network integration is complete in early 2014. At that time, Mohave Wireless customers will receive a letter from Verizon Wireless explaining their service transition. Mohave Wireless customers do not need to take any action at this time.

• Like 1

But one could argue it's good to allocate resources to their most valuable use, And Verizon is no slouch at putting resources to work.

Tell that to the local engineering, tech, and customer service staff that is about to be laid off because VZW's existing regional or national staff can absorb the additional work at a lower cost per worker. You can call that "efficiency," but the cost savings are simply transferred to asshat corporate overlords and shareholders.

My perspective: I would much rather have a thousand local wireless carriers than four or five that control the entire country.

AJ

• Like 2

Tell that to the local engineering, tech, and customer service staff that is about to be laid off because VZW's existing regional or national staff can absorb the additional work at a lower cost per worker. You can call that "efficiency," but the cost savings are simply transferred to asshat corporate overlords and shareholders.

My perspective: I would much rather have a thousand local wireless carriers than four or five that control the entire country.

AJ

No doubt a bunch of smaller providers could employ more people and run just as high quality of network. However the big dogs like Verizon have ran them into the ground.