T-Mobile iPhone 5

shawn_aten

So this isn't Sprint related but maybe someone on here could answer this. The iPhone 5 for AT&T has always listed support for LTE band class 4, which is AWS (1700/2100), since it was released. T-Mobile's LTE is band class 4, I believe. Which would make it seem that it's been compatible this whole time. But they have a new model for T-mobile and going forward for AT&T as well. And the original A1248 AT&T model isn't compatible with T-Mobile LTE, you will need this revised A1248 model. Why has the old model stated AWS compatibilty if it doesn't really have it? Or if it has had it but it's been hardware disabled why put it in the spec sheet? Also doesn't AT&T use AWS in some areas right now anyways?

The new iPhone adds support for AWS for HSPA+. The original iPhone 5 on AT&T will work on T-Mobile's LTE network, since, as you said, it already supports AWS for LTE. The drawback with using the original iPhone is that HSPA will only be available in places where T-Mobile has deployed it on PCS, and only in single carrier (21 mbps) mode.

It does seem like either Apple or AT&T did it just to make sure people would have to buy new ones to go to T-Mobile and get LTE. But honestly if you already have an unlocked iPhone 5, I think their HSPA+ 42 would be just fine.

That would make sense about the HSPA+ except this article seems to disagree.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4150856/bringing-your-iphone-to-t-mobile-better-think-twice

Here's the other one I read that says AWS is disabled in the original A1248 model. It doesn't say AWS LTE or HSPA+.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2013/03/26/t-mobiles-iphone-5-is-atts-iphone-5-but-its-not/

It does seem like either Apple or AT&T did it just to make sure people would have to buy new ones to go to T-Mobile and get LTE. But honestly if you already have an unlocked iPhone 5, I think their HSPA+ 42 would be just fine.

People are slowly catching on ;)

Sent from my little Note2

Both those make it seem like the original A1248 isn't compatible with T-Mobile LTE. But I think maybe a Verge article has mentioned the "benefits of being able to fall back to HSPA+ on T-Mobile instead of 3G" misconception so what do they know about mobile networks.

That would make sense about the HSPA+ except this article seems to disagree.

http://mobile.thever...ter-think-twice

Here's the other one I read that says AWS is disabled in the original A1248 model. It doesn't say AWS LTE or HSPA+.

http://www.forbes.co...-5-but-its-not/

I read in an article earlier today that an AWS baseband for the original A1248 would enable AWS on both LTE and HSPA+, but that Apple isn't doing that for some unknown reason. I think this just has something to do with internal machinations on the part of Apple.

I read in an article earlier today that an AWS baseband for the original A1248 would enable AWS on both LTE and HSPA+, but that Apple isn't doing that for some unknown reason. I think this just has something to do with internal machinations on the part of Apple.

According to the FCC it's just a baseband upgrade. But because Apple can, they'll act like it's completely incompatible and different hardware so people will go and buy another iPhone. Because Apple.

6 posts in an iPhone thread until you showed up digiblur. You're slipping.

My post to refute any of your comments for an inferior device and/or companies evil business decisions are simply not needed. It is quite humbling to see you run to the rescue to pick up the said device when I would have said the same thing no matter if it was Samsung, Nokia, HTC, etc. But in fact Samsung simply upgraded their firmware to enable LTE on the device.

It's on Apple this time, because they are the singular OEM who can tell any of the carriers in the US to shove it. I could understand if Apple was weak enough to get pushed around by AT&T on this but they are not. Not even Samsung can do that. Look at the Galaxy Note II on Samsung running the same damn MDM9615 baseband. That can get updated to LTE. Why can't this get HSPA on AWS?

I'm hoping someone in the jailbreak community is able to find an end around. Short of that, the great resale value the iPhone gets mean it's a relatively minor issue to change models. Unlocked iPhones fetch more than $579 on eBay.

• Like 1

My post to refute any of your comments for an inferior device and/or companies evil business decisions are simply not needed. It is quite humbling to see you run to the rescue to pick up the said device when I would have said the same thing no matter if it was Samsung, Nokia, HTC, etc. But in fact Samsung simply upgraded their firmware to enable LTE on the device.

I was commenting on your irrational need to post a negative comment in almost every thread in the iOS subforum regardless of topic. It's quite amusing.

I was commenting on your irrational need to post a negative comment in almost every thread in the iOS subforum regardless of topic. It's quite amusing.

I am not loyal or vendor racist to any device. All on the details and actions. I can care less what the name says.

Sent from my little Note2

I'm an iOS user, but I don't have any issues calling them out on BS. This is BS. Period.

Nobius, the days of Apple needing to be defended because they were almost bankrupt have been over for a long time.

• Like 2

The reality is that this affects a small number of users - who bought an unlocked device to use on T-Mo in the first place. Those users will get the same experience they were already getting. The newer iteration of the device will better support T-Mo's frequencies for customers who waited to buy the device on their un-carrier of choice. They won't be anything but positively impacted by this update.

It sucks it won't be updated, but it's hardly anything that should be unexpected.

I'm an iOS user, but I don't have any issues calling them out on BS. This is BS. Period.

Nobius, the days of Apple needing to be defended because they were almost bankrupt have been over for a long time.

Where was I defending Apple? I just get annoyed by the constant bashing that some forum members do here. I used to have an Android phone, but I don't anymore. Guess which subforums I don't use here?

Well, most urban areas - 225 million POP's to be exact - will be receiving HSPA+ on PCS by the end of 2013. Then it becomes a moot point.

The rural areas are a giant problem for T-Mobile regardless. I don't think it would be wise to expand coverage at this time but they do at least need to get the old legacy equipment off the grid. If they don't modernize their whole grid at some point they'll be in trouble.

They may not have the money in 2013 but they need to make significant progress in 2014.

Where was I defending Apple? I just get annoyed by the constant bashing that some forum members do here. I used to have an Android phone, but I don't anymore. Guess which subforums I don't use here?

Some of the defenses are legitimate. I'm not questioning that. I'm questioning Apple putting another artificial impediment solely to move units. This is acting like a lot of the Android OEM's I am not a fan of. If I called them out for making 90 different variations of the same device, and don't call out Apple for making a similar decision, I would be hypocritical. I'd rather not be a hypocrite.

If you want to defend that, have at it. I'll gladly let you carry that flag.

This is not a response to anyone or any post in particular. But I would like to offer some facts and opinions.

As others have reported, the iPhone 5 A1428 variant has all along physically supported W-CDMA 2100+1700 (i.e. AWS HSPA+). Apple, however, locked out that capability via software in capitulation to AT&T.

Apple is not alone in that regard. Look at most AT&T Android devices -- they support LTE 2100+1700 but lock out W-CDMA 2100+1700 as well to reduce their portability to T-Mobile.

So, place blame accordingly on both Apple and AT&T. Like it or not, Apple and AT&T, as the original iPhone carrier, still act like BFFs. (And, by "BFFs," I mean big ******* *******.)

AJ

• Like 2

Coonass throughout here...I call it like it is, I don't sugar coat anything and tell you straight up and to the point. No matter the company I will praise them for good products and actions and also bash them as well. I don't care who the company is. No one is immune to any negative or postive comments even if I worked and/or owned their product. Case in point.. HTC.

Some of the defenses are legitimate. I'm not questioning that. I'm questioning Apple putting another artificial impediment solely to move units. This is acting like a lot of the Android OEM's I am not a fan of. If I called them out for making 90 different variations of the same device, and don't call out Apple for making a similar decision, I would be hypocritical. I'd rather not be a hypocrite.

If you want to defend that, have at it. I'll gladly let you carry that flag.

Like I said, I wasn't defending Apple in any of my posts in this thread. From what I've read, it doesn't make sense what they're doing either. The news is only a day old, so maybe more info will come out, but we might have to wait until April 12 for that.

And I'm with you on the 90 different versions of the same device on Android, especially when it came to carriers and software updates. I hated that my Galaxy S got almost no updates on T-Mobile while Verizon and others got several dessert variations. Sure I could hunt it down on XDA and do it myself, but that's not something the average user should have to do.

There are things I miss from Android like widgets and Swiftkey, but I don't have to worry about my iPhone 5 missing out on a software update purely because of the carrier that I use.

I love the competition between Apple and Google because it forces them to put out better products. Though these days it seems that its more about competition between Apple and Samsung driving mobile phones forward instead of Apple and Google, but that's another offtopic discussion.