Hello from Windy City

michael92t

Greetings everybody, it's really cold here in Chicago, awaiting for a warmer weather and better Sprint coverage soon. I'm new here, how do I look @ the coverage maps here?

Pretty new here too (postwise) also Chicago. Whereabouts are you? (in burbs or in the city?) Lakeview here, folks and grew up in Addison. Welcome! As far as NV upgrade maps and tower locations they are in the sponsor forums. You can see all the tower sites and maps showing what towers have had upgrades done and approved. To get access, see the post on the main page about sponsorship not a big deal. Actually this link will give info:

http://s4gru.com/ind...come-a-sponsor/

You can donate whatever you can afford/feel its worth it to you. There is a next level that I think will tell you when each tower is scheduled for upgrade though that's a cumulative donation of at least $100 to become premier sponsor. Its worth at least 5,10 or 20 dollars to at least see the maps or what sites are done and waiting to be done.

The folks here are very nice and you can ask almost any Sprint related question and the moderaters are around alot to answer questions etc plus the other members.

• Like 2

Hey, @chgoguy80 thanks for the info. I actually did donate something as soon as registered. Just wondering how long it usually takes to get access to the maps and if I should e-mail regarding this to the admin. I'm up for the upgrade and just wonderring if I should stick w/Sprint or go somewhere else. I'm located in near north suburbs and drive all over Chicago land, so was very unhappy w/Sprint before during upgrades. Now its better, not that many dropped calls, but data speeds on 3g isn't improved at all, I don't use 4g(wimax) that much cause it goes in/out of coverage all the time so no reason to have it on.

Hey, @chgoguy80 thanks for the info. I actually did donate something as soon as registered. Just wondering how long it usually takes to get access to the maps and if I should e-mail regarding this to the admin. I'm up for the upgrade and just wonderring if I should stick w/Sprint or go somewhere else. I'm located in near north suburbs and drive all over Chicago land, so was very unhappy w/Sprint before during upgrades. Now its better, not that many dropped calls, but data speeds on 3g isn't improved at all, I don't use 4g(wimax) that much cause it goes in/out of coverage all the time so no reason to have it on.

You're upgraded to sponsor status now. You are also in a very good position regarding Chicago. The LTE coverage in Chicago is pretty widespread, and it's getting better all the time. Of all the markets in the country, Chicago is the closest to being complete. There are some areas that have had 4G upgrades, but not 3G, and some areas that have 3G upgrades, but not 4G. Eventually, in the next couple months, all the towers will see the full upgrade complete, and the network will be in great shape. If you are due for a phone upgraded, I would go ahead and say to take it, I think you should be pretty happy with it.

• Like 1

The Chicago market was so bad in the upgrade due to the legacy motorola equipment not being able to talk to the new Samsung network vision equipment, that actually worked in Chicago favor because sprint decided to speed up the market and that is why we are almost done. I say "yes" to upgrade and stay with sprint, yet if you like the Samsung galaxy s3. They are coming out with s4 in april, so u may want to wait until that comes out, I love my gs III.

As u explore this site, u will read about how sprint is shutting down the nextel network in june. They have also thinned out the nextel coverage a lot to help with chicago voice network, u will see this on the maps in the sponsor section. Some towers are 800, they will really help in chicago with coverage on voice and also they will be putting lte on 800 and then when they buy out clearwire be using that for hot spots. Which will be great at outdoor events, I think u will be happy to stay with sprint. Yet that is up to u though, I also have to add they sprint is working on buying the us celluar network in chicago and a few other markets. That will help with more room for lte and voice.

I know a lot guys will share with me that still having unlimited data and seeing where sprint is going is worth staying. It is going to blow verizon and att out of the water.

U have any questions, just ask.

• Like 1

Thank you guys @Dkoellerwx & @Cubbiefan82, I really hope once upgrade is complete Sprint will be good in Chicago and suburbs. I'm all over the place here, and reception definitely became better, I have only 2-3-4 dropped calls a day now, instead of more than 10 a day before. I'm set on Note 2 and honestly don't want to wait for SG4, if it was only few weeks sure I would wait to see the new beast. But after announcement it will probably take another couple of month or so for release, so I’m looking for another 5- 6 month before I can get one.

Thank you guys @Dkoellerwx & @Cubbiefan82, I really hope once upgrade is complete Sprint will be good in Chicago and suburbs. I'm all over the place here, and reception definitely became better, I have only 2-3-4 dropped calls a day now, instead of more than 10 a day before. I'm set on Note 2 and honestly don't want to wait for SG4, if it was only few weeks sure I would wait to see the new beast. But after announcement it will probably take another couple of month or so for release, so I’m looking for another 5- 6 month before I can get one.

The Note 2 is a very nice device, if what Digiblur's been posting is true :P

I think you will find your dropped calls will become even less of an issue with that phone. It has support for the 800 SMR band, which is in operation in many areas across the Chicago market. With that band, the Sprint signal has much better coverage, in building and distance wise. I think it is currently disabled on the Note 2, but Digiblur can help you fix it if it hasn't already been enabled by the time you get it.

• Like 1

I

The Note 2 is a very nice device, if what Digiblur's been posting is true :P

I think you will find your dropped calls will become even less of an issue with that phone. It has support for the 800 SMR band, which is in operation in many areas across the Chicago market. With that band, the Sprint signal has much better coverage, in building and distance wise. I think it is currently disabled on the Note 2, but Digiblur can help you fix it if it hasn't already been enabled by the time you get it.

I ordered Note 2 today, so in few days I should be a happy camper. Who or what is Digiblur? never heard of it.

How would I know if 800 SMR band is enabled or not? is there some type of settings I can check to see if it is on/off. I don't feel like rooting my phone.

Digiblur is one of our members. Check out this thread for more information: http://s4gru.com/ind...or-lte-devices/

No rooting involved to check your network status. See this thread for more information on that: http://s4gru.com/ind...ignal-strength/

Your phone is capable of recieving the 800 SMR band, but right now I believe Sprint has disabled it through your PRL. Hopefully that will change soon.

• Like 1

Digiblur is one of our members. Check out this thread for more information: http://s4gru.com/ind...or-lte-devices/

No rooting involved to check your network status. See this thread for more information on that: http://s4gru.com/ind...ignal-strength/

Your phone is capable of recieving the 800 SMR band, but right now I believe Sprint has disabled it through your PRL. Hopefully that will change soon.

Got it, so as soon I receive my phone I'll check it out. I really hope that this band is enabled in Chicago, because it would really help.

Got it, so as soon I receive my phone I'll check it out. I really hope that this band is enabled in Chicago, because it would really help.

They got a lot of sites in chicago on 800, and it will only get better as they keep shutting the nextel network down. I am sure they will turn 800 faster then most places due to not having a lot 1900 to use for voice in chicago. I use to be on nextel almost 10 years ago and I loved the 800 on nextel. So I can't wait for sprint to use it for lte and voice. U will really love the note 2, I love my galaxy s3 and the note is only a bigger verison of it. I hope your enjoying the site, s4gru and a lot of other guys put a lot of time into it. I find myself checking it out every sunday/monday night for the update from s4gru. :D