Next-generation LTE chips to reduce power consumption by 50%

kckid

VoLTE, blah, blah, blah. Not ready for ubiquitous use in North America anytime soon. And is anyone really disappointed in the battery life of recent LTE devices, such as the EVO LTE or Galaxy S3?

Just to be clear, this is not a slight against you, kckid, it is a slight against the industry fixation on VoLTE.

AJ

I agree. I'm very happy with the battery life of my S3. Especially after the Hero.

Now, if I let my kids play games on it all afternoon then it does drain quite a bit faster. :)

With new battery technologies that might become less of a problem. I heard about this "3D" battery on NPR the other day:

http://prietobattery.com/tech.htm

Edit: And the original story I heard on Marketplace:

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/sustainability/scientific-method-search-better-battery

• Like 1

VoLTE, blah, blah, blah. Not ready for ubiquitous use in North America anytime soon. And is anyone really disappointed in the battery life of recent LTE devices, such as the EVO LTE or Galaxy S3?

Just to be clear, this is not a slight against you, kckid, it is a slight against the industry fixation on VoLTE.

AJ

I don't understand the excitement surrounding VoLTE either. Before messing around with some Verizon's LTE devices and Sprint's LTE devices, I don't really see why anyone would want that over 1x advanced.

I would much rather take advantage of the extra coverage gained on 1x, which does an amazing job with a very weak signal vs. VoLTE wouldn't.

It's sort of sad watching my phone go from 4G LTE to 3G to 1x the further into a building I go.