Sprint Charging $10 Fee to Nextel Subs Who Don't Upgrade

Kevster1321

Recalcitrant iDEN users, pay your penance, convert to the CDMA2000 faith, or get out. Done.

AJ

• Like 10

So I guess those in areas where only iDEN is available get the ETF-free boot?

I would suspect that a majority of the folks using iden only would be using older equipment and either be near the end of their contract or not under contract at all.

A better idea would be to offer them free Motorola Admirals.

I'm sure they do. It is only $50 for any old upgrade and I know they have been offering some good perks to try to entice people to switch to Sprint from Nextel. There are the stubborn customers and large businesses that will hang on until the end and possibly run into issues. This $10 fee is probably just to give them a little more push to get the ball rolling. It might also be the nail in the coffin to people who are mad about the Nextel shutdown and push them into the waiting arms of AT&T.

Press came out in june of this year that iden phones were offiicially no longer available for purchase.

In the event someone signed a 2 year contract in early 2012, they would def still be under contract. Increasing the mrc would definitely be grounds for etf free termination, but so is the shutdown of the network. This fee is just going to cause the inevitable conversation to hopefully happen even sooner.

It hurts but its unavoidable.

This isn't the first time someone has charged fees for old gear, I remember Cingular charging fees for holding onto old TDMA/Analog Phones...

Yep. I remember a few friends switching from Nokia 5165s (TDMA + Analog) to 6340is (GAIT, TDMA + GSM + Analog), and then to Razrs (GSM only), the latter probably due to AT&T pushing them with the TDMA fee.

Oh yes I was a Cingular Kid back in the day, I had a Nokia 6340i then a Razr V3XX the 6340i's we had were solid backup phones... Recently resurrected one from the junk drawer to aide in a phone bank for a local candidate in the just past election. But onwards and upwards with Network Vision.

It hurts but its unavoidable.

The $10 monthly fee is just a less threatening way of telling iDEN subs this...

AJ

• Like 3

I work for sprint, its real. Customers began getting letters in the mail this month about the additional fee. Only major corporate accounts that use Nextel are not effected. Customers can choose from any of the current "NEW"" Sprint Direct Connect models to upgrade to for .99 cents. There are also select smart phones available to them for .99 cents also, Evo LTE, GS2, Blackerry Bold, and the Apple iPhone 4S 16GB for $49.99.

• Like 4

Is it still possible to sign up for iDEN service on postpaid?

One last hookup with iDEN before the breakup?

AJ

Sprint pulled all iden stuff this spring from stores so you cant buy any new iden stuff. I've activated some old nextel phones that were customer owned so its still possible to put them on your line.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

http://pocketnow.com...-network-part-1

I'd love to get @Captain2Phones over here and see if he's still operating his iDEN phone.

Also, from what I can gather, QChat operation is less than perfect. Still, I think it's something the entire Sprint platform should embrace. Love or hate the old Nextel subs, they're needed on board. It wasn't their fault Nextel and Gary Forsee were incompetent.

I thought only GSM fanboys got into format holy wars. B)

Not a holy war, this is an eviction. The derelict house has been condemned, the land slated for redevelopment. The bulldozers are already waiting at the property line.

AJ

• Like 1

Not a holy war, this is an eviction. The derelict house has been condemned, the land slated for redevelopment. The bulldozers are already waiting at the property line.

AJ

Are you 100% confident that QChat can outperform IDEN?

Are you 100% confident that QChat can outperform IDEN?

Yes/no, who really cares? PTT is largely passé. The industry and society have moved on.

AJ

• Like 2